Mock
DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America (/thread-4103.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Midwest Spy - 11-20-2013

(11-20-2013, 02:33 PM)Maggot Wrote: IDK it seems to make a big difference to them the closer they get to the noose. Maybe a show on the days leading up to it, something that sticks in the brain, discussed on social media and the daily media vitriol.

I'm with you Maggot.

Maybe not televised, but more of a 'town square' location, like the old days.

But, the biggest change that could be made in my opinion, would be to shorten the length of the ridiculous appeals processes.

To wait 15-25 years before putting someone to death is a slap in the face to the victims and to justice.

There should be one appeal and it should be required that it's completed within 1 calendar year.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 11-20-2013

(11-20-2013, 02:33 PM)Maggot Wrote: IDK it seems to make a big difference to them the closer they get to the noose. Maybe a show on the days leading up to it, something that sticks in the brain, discussed on social media and the daily media vitriol.

That would probably cause the convict's family a hell of a lot of grief and safety concerns and give the defense attorneys and other enablers a big platform to make more excuses and lobby against the death penalty, but I don't think it would be any kind of deterrent for violent criminals.

If the possible "death" sentence doesn't deter them from committing the crime, the terrible impacts of their crimes on their own families doesn't deter them from committing the crime, and the fact that they will likely be the subject of media coverage when they're arrested and go to court doesn't deter them from committing the crime, it doesn't seem likely to me that the extra exposure via tv or social media would deter them from committing the crime. Like I said, I think the extra attention and the spotlight would be more of an attraction than a deterrent for some violent criminals.

I think public executions would really only serve one purpose - entertainment for blood thirsty viewers.

Having said that, I would go to a pay-for-view televised execution party with you any time and drink Bloody Marys and stuff. I'd probably just go climb a tree or something for the couple of minutes it takes to carry out the killing. It wouldn't offend or shock me, just wouldn't find it entertaining.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Duchess - 11-20-2013

I wouldn't find it entertaining either even though I profess to be blood thirsty when it comes to Jodi Arias and those like her.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Maggot - 11-20-2013

Training delinquents that this is what happens if you kill someone would be fine even if it only prevented one murder.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 11-20-2013

(11-20-2013, 05:46 PM)Maggot Wrote: Training delinquents that this is what happens if you kill someone would be fine even if it only prevented one murder.

Assuming it didn't inspire 2 more delinquents to commit a DP murder in order to achieve that very public spotlight, that's an argument worth considering.

It's the same argument I've heard time and again by those seeking to ban semi-automatics and/or high capacity mags and to implement universal background checks. I don't currently support bans. But, I understand that argument in favor of them and sometimes think it's worth re-considering at this point as well.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 01-08-2014

[Image: _h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg]

This brutal asshole was executed in Florida yesterday for fatally stabbing a prison guard with a sharpened spoon while on death row for abducting and killing a Miami couple.

Askari Abdullah Muhammad, previously known as Thomas Knight, was pronounced dead at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday after a lethal injection at Florida State Prison, the governor's office said. The execution took place in the same prison where Muhammad killed corrections officer Richard Burke in 1980.

"This is where my dad took his last breath," said the slain guard's daughter, 47-year-old Carolyn Burke Thompson. She was among several family members who witnessed the execution and could be seen crying in the front row as it was carried out.

"The system finally has worked. I am at peace knowing I don't have to wait any longer. I miss my dad a lot," she said.

Muhammad, 62, was initially condemned to die for the 1974 abduction and killings of Sydney and Lillian Gans of Miami. Tuesday's execution was specifically for Burke's killing.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 01-16-2014

[Image: 140113120952_mcguire.jpg]

This winner and his attorneys fought hard to stay his execution using the rationale that the new combo of death drugs to be used was unproven and essentially there could be some pain and time involved from injection to death. Boo hoo.

Dennis McGuire, 58, was executed Thursday for the 1989 rape and murder of 22-year-old Joy Stewart.

Ohio adopted the use of the sedative and painkiller after supplies of its previous execution drug dried up when its European manufacturer put it off limits for capital punishment.

It took more than 15 minutes for the condemned Ohio killer to die from a lethal injection process never before tried in the U.S., according to news reports.

McGuire appeared to gasp several times during his prolonged execution and made several loud snorting or snoring sounds after being injected with the two-drug combination of the sedative midazolam and the painkiller hydromorphone. His stomach rose and fell several times as he repeatedly opened and shut his mouth.

Certainly, Joy Stewart died a much less peaceful death than did her killer.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Cheyne - 01-18-2014

Family of Dennis McGuire plan lawsuit against Ohio following yesterday's execution

The execution of an Ohio inmate who gasped and took an unusually long time to die was "torture," the man's daughter said Friday in announcing plans to file a lawsuit over her father's death.

McGuire's daughter, Amber McGuire, referred to the "agony and terror" of watching her father die on Thursday — using the same words the condemned man's attorneys used in trying to stop his execution using a previously untried method of lethal injection.

"It was the most awful moment in my life to witness my dad's execution," she said in a statement ahead of the news conference. "I can't think of any other way to describe it than torture."

The execution violated McGuire's constitutional right not to be treated or punished in a cruel or unusual way, said defense attorney Jon Paul Rion, representing McGuire's adult children.

McGuire's attorney Allen Bohnert called the convicted killer's death "a failed, agonizing experiment" and added: "The people of the state of Ohio should be appalled at what was done here today in their names."

Read more

First question, Why was this asshole's son and daughter at his execution? I can see going to visit the scumbag before he dies, but who the hell wants to watch their father put to death? That's just weird and awful.

Secondly, I am in the camp of several commentators below the article. Any money given to McGuire's family for pain and suffering should be re-routed immediately to the family of his victim, Joy Stewart. The McGuires should not be allowed to profit from their father's crime.

Third, why the hell don't we do firing squad executions anymore? A bullet or two to the heart is almost instant, less invasive, and kinder to the executioners (and executed) than lethal injection.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 01-19-2014

IMO, McGuire and his lawyers were intentionally setting up this suit for McGuire's family for months, Cheyne.

If the state of Ohio awards his money-grubbing spawn one red cent, it'll be the equivalent of him profiting from the murder that he committed. Illegal. The McGuire vultures don't stand a chance of winning their case.

(I hope I don't have to eat those words.)

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 01-19-2014

Okay, read up on McGuire's family's planned law suit.

It doesn't appear to involve any monetary compensation.

They have joined forces with a bunch of anti death penalty advocates to sue the state of Ohio for "cruel and unusual punishment" so that other death penalty inmates aren't subject to the same method of execution.

Whether or not McGuire was suffering pain or was instead experiencing involuntary body movements is unknown, but may be more clear when his autopsy is complete.

The European Union's refusal to supply the US with the previous death drug any longer (in opposition to the death penalty) has given defense attorneys, killers and their families, and death penalty opponents ammunition to file lots of legal motions attempting to stay executions and now to challenge the constitutionality of future executions.

Personally, I think death by drug injection, even if the killers suffer some pain or discomfort, is not cruel and unusual. How humane should we attempt to be when putting to death people who've brutally raped and killed others?

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - ramseycat - 01-19-2014

Do any of these fuckers think about the pain and suffering these criminals inflicted on their victims and families? I honestly don't give a rats ass if they suffer during their execution.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Cheyne - 01-20-2014

For the record, the drugs used for McGuire's execution were:

Midazolam, The drug is used for treatment of acute seizures, moderate to severe insomnia, and for inducing sedation and amnesia before medical procedures. Midazolam

Hydromorphone, Hydromorphone, a more common synonym for dihydromorphinone (not to be confused by dihydromorphine, which is a different derivative of the morphine family), commonly a hydrochloride (brand names Palladone, Dilaudid, and numerous others) is a very potent centrally acting analgesic drug of the opioid class. It is a derivative of morphine; to be specific, a hydrogenated ketone thereof, and it can be said that hydromorphone is to morphine as hydrocodone is to codeine and, therefore, a semi-synthetic drug. It is in medical terms an opioid analgesic and in legal terms a narcotic. Hydromorphone

The first drug, Midazolam, would have put McGuire to sleep, explaining the "snorting or snoring sounds" heard while the second drug, Hydromorphone went into effect-killing him.

Most people I know hope to die in their sleep. Sounds like that's exactly what McGuire did. If his family wanted him to die instantly, he should have been executed by firing squad.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - SIXFOOTERsez - 01-20-2014

(01-18-2014, 11:23 PM)Cheyne Wrote: Family of Dennis McGuire plan lawsuit against Ohio following yesterday's execution

Read more

Third, why the hell don't we do firing squad executions anymore? A bullet or two to the heart is almost instant, less invasive, and kinder to the executioners (and executed) than lethal injection.

I don't know how many gunshot victims you have ever seen, but the ones I have seen it was pretty fucking invasive.

That said, I have no problem with the state popping a cap In these assholes, it would sure be cheaper and faster.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Maggot - 01-20-2014

It was good enough for Gary Gilmore.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 01-22-2014

State vs. Federal Politics - Illegal Immigrants & Death

[Image: edgar-tamayo-cuadrada11.jpg]
^ This POS is Edgar Tamayo.

In 1994, he and a partner robbed a store and were busted by 24 year-old Houston police officer Guy Gaddis. While in transport to jail, Tamayo shot Gaddis three times, robbed him, left the officer to die, and fled on foot in handcuffs. He was caught in a nearby neighborhood shortly thereafter.

Tamayo is an illegal immigrant from Mexico and had previously served time for robbery in California before killing Gaddas in Texas. He was tried in Texas, convicted by a jury, and sentenced to death - according to Texas law.

Well, Tamayo's lawyers and the Mexican government have been fighting for clemency on the grounds that Tamayo was treated unfairly, contending that "evidence was tainted" because Texas authorities didn't inform Tamayo of a 1963 international treaty, signed by the United States, allowing prisoners to seek legal help from their home countries.

Last September, Secretary of State John Kerry asked Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott to delay the execution. The State Department renewed that request on Tuesday, insisting that failure to follow a 1963 treaty signed by the United States makes it more difficult for American officials to ensure that its diplomats overseas can visit U.S. citizens when they are detained.

However, Abbott, Texas governor Rick Perry, and state LE authorities argued that Tamayo committed the crimes in their state, was legally prosecuted the same as anyone else would have been in Texas, and deserves no special consideration. Today, the State Board of Pardons and Paroles rendered a decision in agreement with the state officials; they denied clemency.

Tamayo is scheduled to be put to death later today. We'll see if that happens.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - SIXFOOTERsez - 01-22-2014

Good, croak the SOB. I always thought Kerry was a fag, fucking liberal

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - HairOfTheDog - 01-23-2014

I think Tamayo is an SOB too, Six. If he dies tonight, no loss.

As for Kerry, I don't always agree with his political stances nor some of his statements about soldiers. But, he has a couple of Purple Hearts and a Silver Star for his service in Vietnam under his belt, and he's been married to his ailing wife for ages. Plus, he put away rapists and murderers during his tenures as a prosecutor and district attorney. IMO, he's far from a "fag", which I'm guessing you're using synonymously with "pussy" in this case?

Anyway, I see Kerry's point on this one. Despite Tomayo being a despicable human being, the US did enter into an international treaty in Vienna stating that all foreigners arrested while traveling abroad shall be notified immediately of their rights to consular assistance. Maybe the US Federal government should not have made that agreement if the State's hold the ultimate decision-making power on handling criminals charged at the local and state levels, but we did. And, we've dishonored it time and time again.

Kerry's concern is not, according to his public statements, that Tamayo isn't guilty and isn't deserving of the death penalty. Instead, his concern is the repercussions on Americans arrested while traveling abroad. If we don't honor the international treaty in regards to foreign suspects here, why should other countries honor it when holding Americans in foreign detention? It's a legitimate concern, IMO.

Just like no one (but his father) is arguing that Tamayo didn't brutally murder the police officer all of those years ago, no one is denying that Tamayo (and many other Mexican criminals) were not informed of their right to consular counsel.

So...earlier tonight, the scheduled execution was briefly halted. The US Supreme Court was considering an appeal for a stay, and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said it is Texas policy to hold off on executions while the High Court considers an appeal.

But the Supreme Court then decided not to override the State of Texas's decision and declared that it would refuse to stay the execution. The warrant expires at midnight.

Looks like Texas is gonna croak Tamayo in a few hours after all.

The politics of death...

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Duchess - 01-23-2014

It's a done deal. The POS is burning in Hell -

A last-ditch push to keep a convicted cop killer alive failed Wednesday night when the U.S. Supreme Court denied a motion to stay his execution.

Edgar Tamayo Arias, a Mexican national, was executed at 9:32 p.m. CT, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said.

His execution marks the first of the year in Texas and the 509th in the state since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976.

Tamayo did not make a statement before his death, department spokesman Jason Clark said.

Story

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - SIXFOOTERsez - 01-23-2014

Glad they croaked this asshole.
Yea I see Kerrys point, I just don't see that it one that necessarily needed to be made, not for this asshole. The mexican govt and many others where americans find themselves in trouble have always been corrupt and have always trod on the rights of people in their custody, thats not going to change anytime soon. The treaties are valuable and may be the eventual path to having everyone treated equal on both sides of the border. But until the other govts get rid of the local corruption its not going to change and "El Norte" will be a prime pig. Getting a bunch of diplomats involved in what should be an open and shut case and trying to make political points for themselves is going to do nothing except cost US, not them. When these illegal assholes come over here and commit serious crimes like this they need to be put down, period.

RE: DEATH ROW--death penalty in America - Maggot - 01-23-2014

When people are in my house they must play by my rules or leave. Thats it.