Mock
The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Lady Cop's Cell Block - Crime Forum (https://mockforums.net/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander (/thread-7085.html)

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 07-12-2013

Sounds like the writers/producers used a lot of dramatic license for the movie, heartbreaker.

My sister watched it and said it was okay. I'll probably check it out once Arias's fate is determined.

I read that the sentencing re-trial start date is no longer confirmed as July 18th. There is a hearing set for Tuesday, July 16th, to address whether that retrial will be postponed (source = KTAR).

Really hoping the retrial happens soon and the defense doesn't get months to prepare for a do-over.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 07-16-2013

The hearing today starts at 1:30 ET.

The prosecution reportedly wants to move swiftly to a retrial to determine whether Arias should be sentenced to life or death.

The defense reportedly wants to postpone the sentencing retrial til January.

P.s. The jury foreman from the Arias trial bothers me. He's said in interviews that he doesn't think Arias should die for "being stupid". Also, he thinks she was abused. The two female jurors who were interviewed a lot on HLN both voted for death and didn't believe the abuse excuse. With the attorneys having this juror feedback, jury selection for the retrial should be interesting...

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Duchess - 07-16-2013

I understand there is procedure to follow but holy shit this is old.

The juror who said she did something stupid - lock him away with her.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - BlueTiki - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 11:30 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: P.s. The jury foreman from the Arias trial bothers me. He's said in interviews that he doesn't think Arias should die for "being stupid". Also, he thinks she was abused.

(07-16-2013, 11:42 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I understand there is procedure to follow but holy shit this is old.

The juror who said she did something stupid - lock him away with her.

(05-29-2013, 12:52 AM)BlueTiki Wrote: The jury foreman stated that Arias wasn't a Dahmer or a Manson. WTF does that have to do with HER actions?

They took an oath without the caveat of serial killer or cult leader to administer the ultimate sentence.

I washed my hands of him when he first uttered the NOT Manson or Dahmer justification.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Cynical Ninja - 07-16-2013

I'm NOT Harold Shipman, can I go out and get away with murdering one of my ex-girlfriends now?

I see Jodi is claiming self defence, did she have the right to stand her ground?

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 12:59 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: I washed my hands of him when he first uttered the NOT Manson or Dahmer justification.

When he made that statement and did his first interviews, I was surprised by his opinions. Probably shouldn't have been, but I was. And, not in a good way.

His were the first juror comments that I heard/read.

The foreman struck me as very sympathetic to Arias, imo.

The two female jurors who did interviews did not seem to buy anything Arias and team were selling. One of them was an alternate, IIRC.

I don't think either of them would have budged on the death penalty no matter what. According to the one who was involved in deliberations, even though they all hated not being able to reach a unanimous sentencing verdict, the majority of the jurors felt too strongly in their convictions to be able to reach a compromise consensus in good faith.

Are you worried that the next jury will hang too? I am.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Duchess - 07-16-2013

Aren't jurors questioned as to whether or not they could give the death penalty?

(07-16-2013, 03:01 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Aren't jurors questioned as to whether or not they could give the death penalty?

Yeah, they are.

Still, even though they all say that they are able to hand down such a verdict if it's deserved, they don't all always agree that it is deserved (considering the mitigating factors and their opinions regarding the evidence/claims presented at trial).

Arizona is putting out a shit ton of money for that POS. She deserves death. I view her in same manner as I do those...those...those... I don't have a word bad enough for them, the guys that killed Dr. Petit's family. Jodi doesn't deserve the air she breathes.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - BlueTiki - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 02:34 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: I see Jodi is claiming self defence, did she have the right to stand her ground?

Arias can claim any right she wants . . . even the right to remain silent.

In Arizona, self defense is not necessarily SYG.

In Arias' case, it was not a SYG defense.

In fact, all Arias had to do was claim self-defense and the burden was shifted from the defense to the prosecution to disprove her claim of self defense!

SYG always, ALWAYS, has two elements:

1.) No requirement to retreat

2.) An intruder is automatically presumed to be threatening if designated areas are breached (home, automobile) if that intruder has no right of occupancy or possession

See how SYG is racially flawed! hah

Well, today's hearing resolved nothing.

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Sherry Stephens said she wanted to set a trial for September but was unable to do so Tuesday. The next conference in the case will be held Aug. 26.

Attorneys Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott previously asked for an extension because they will be out of the office during certain weeks in July and because Willmott has five other criminal trials scheduled for this summer. Furthermore, they asked for more time to prepare their case for mitigation, the evidence they hope will convince a jury to choose life over death.

The judge and the attorney did not discuss the motion to vacate the Arias aggravator, which determines if she's eligible for the death penalty.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/mesa/articles/20130716jodi-arias-hearing-update.html

(07-16-2013, 04:05 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Attorneys Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott previously asked for an extension because they will be out of the office during certain weeks in July and because Willmott has five other criminal trials scheduled for this summer.

Translation: Jodi want to remain in County lock up versus State as County has A/C and State has evap cooling.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 08-13-2013

(07-16-2013, 04:09 PM)BlueTiki Wrote:
(07-16-2013, 04:05 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Attorneys Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott previously asked for an extension because they will be out of the office during certain weeks in July and because Willmott has five other criminal trials scheduled for this summer.

Translation: Jodi want to remain in County lock up versus State as County has A/C and State has evap cooling.

Two more weeks (in her air conditioned social circle) until the next hearing.

Really hoping Arias doesn't get a long extension til her sentencing re-trial.

In the meantime...

Meet...David Simpson (Homer's discontented brother?).

[Image: david-simpson-face.jpg]

He's in love with Arias and her artwork. He wants to marry Jodi.

BUT, he also loves Nancy Grace and couldn't decide between the two objects of his affection.

He made a bunch of crazy remarks on social media that had Maricopa County authorities visiting him in New York a couple of times. He's a delusional nut job, no doubt.

Finally, Simpson got busted after a revelation he made to his co-workers about a little visit he had planned to Georgia.

He was was brought back to Arizona on a grand jury warrant charging him with stalking and computer tampering, after, according to MCSO, he admitted "that he was on his way to Georgia to kill Nancy Grace by 'putting a knife' between her legs and slicing her to death."

If Simpson had succeeded with his Georgia mission, Jodi might just have reciprocated his affections...

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 08-14-2013

Judge Stephens denied the defense motion to take the death penalty off the table for Arias.

Looks like prosecutors might be considering a life sentence anyway though, based on today's report.

Snip:
A hearing is set for Aug. 26. Judge Stephens previously indicated she wanted to set a new trial date for the penalty phase for September.

Just seating a new jury could take weeks, given the trial's publicity. That process would be followed by retreading over testimony and evidence.

If the second panel failed to reach a unanimous decision, the death penalty would automatically be removed from consideration, and the judge would sentence Arias to spend her entire life behind bars or be eligible for release after 25 years.

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery has said the state is still preparing to seek the death penalty, but would consider resolving the case without another trial after consultation with the victim's family and defense lawyers, among other things.

Arias' defense by court-appointed attorneys has cost taxpayers nearly $1.7 million so far.

Montgomery has declined to publicly state the cost his office incurred prosecuting the case, citing a vague judge's order that prevents the release of some details.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57598545-504083/jodi-arias-update-judge-denies-motion-to-vacate-death-penalty-option/

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 08-26-2013

Arias was in court today.

Judge Stephens delayed sentencing the penalty phase re-trial again, in order to consider 2 new defense motions.

1. No live cameras in the courtroom (the defense claims their witnesses were threatened as a result of live coverage of the first trial).

2. Potential jurors should have to turn over their Twitter accounts (the defense claims that even though jurors agree not to expose themselves to case media, anyone can reach out to them via Twitter).

Arguments of these motions will be made during the next hearing scheduled for Sept. 16.

Judge Stephens has expressed a desire to start the re-trial at end of September. Not likely to happen; the defense will introduce more stalling meaures, IMO.

Ref:
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/08/26/live-blog-jodi-arias-back-court

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Duchess - 08-26-2013

C'mon! This is ridiculous.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Carsman - 08-26-2013

Jodi's defense lawyers are earning their keep, she is one lucky murderer!
Off with her head already, who gives a damn about twitter accounts?

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Duchess - 09-13-2013

In the murdered baby Antonio thread I just read that the shooter was sentenced. How come that trial & everything surrounding it has been able to get wrapped up in such a speedy manner but we are still waiting on Jodi's bullshit to be settled?

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - HairOfTheDog - 09-13-2013

Because the jury hung on whether to give her the death penalty or not, so Jodi's attorneys got a legal and physical window to file more motions related to retrial.

The judge has to review and consider them, hear arguments from both sides, and be very careful to avoid decisions that could be successfully appealed.

Death penalty cases usually drag out longer due to the extra legal processes built in to that sentence anyway.

Jodi and team are capitalizing on that and milking it so they can keep her where she's at for as long as possible. Plus, they're looking for any opportunity to get the DP off the table and filing all the motions they can in the process. IMO.

Sometimes the wheels of justice turn very very slowly, especially with a manipulative defendant/convict who has no conscience.

RE: The Jodi Arias Trial--Fatal Attraction – The Murder of Travis Alexander - Duchess - 09-13-2013

Thanks!