Mock
Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Printable Version

+- Mock (https://mockforums.net)
+-- Forum: Serious Shit? (https://mockforums.net/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Assholes In The News (https://mockforums.net/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Woman killed from hugging a police officer (/thread-8456.html)

Pages: 1 2

Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Ma Huang Sor - 07-09-2012

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-hug-triggers-officers-gun-kills-woman

DETROIT (AP) — A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released.

"For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back," McNair told WDIV-TV.

McNair said her daughter was out to mark her upcoming birthday.

"All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday," the mother said. "She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that."

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - SIXFOOTERsez - 07-09-2012

I just read this, WTF? I have to look, does the S&W 40 have a safety?

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - ramseycat - 07-09-2012

This is without a doubt a tragedy. But you watch. Her family is going to sue and this guy will lose his job. I am no gun expert but it does sound like a freak accident.

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - OnBendedKnee - 07-09-2012

(07-09-2012, 11:51 AM)ramseycat Wrote: This is without a doubt a tragedy. But you watch. Her family is going to sue and this guy will lose his job. I am no gun expert but it does sound like a freak accident.

That is interesting and unusual logic, especially after calling it a freak accident.
I'll choose to allow more information to gather before speculating.

OBK, I think it was an accident. But of course more facts are needed. I think he will lose his job because someone died as a result of this accident. I don't think it's fair if the investigation shows he was not at fault. But you can bet he will be fired to shut that girls family up.

His union will protect him from that.
Accidents, unless there is negligence, is not a fireable offense.

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Ma Huang Sor - 07-09-2012

(07-09-2012, 12:34 PM)ramseycat Wrote: OBK, I think it was an accident. But of course more facts are needed. I think he will lose his job because someone died as a result of this accident. I don't think it's fair if the investigation shows he was not at fault. But you can bet he will be fired to shut that girls family up.

Please read again. She discharged the firearm when she hugged him. It's a tragic accident, but no one's going to lose their job or get sued. Well...anyone CAN get sued, but that's not an actionable case.

That's why they call them tragic accidents.

It would be fun for those who are struck by lightening to sue the Catholic church.

(07-09-2012, 12:44 PM)Ma Huang Sor Wrote:
(07-09-2012, 12:34 PM)ramseycat Wrote: OBK, I think it was an accident. But of course more facts are needed. I think he will lose his job because someone died as a result of this accident. I don't think it's fair if the investigation shows he was not at fault. But you can bet he will be fired to shut that girls family up.

Please read again. She discharged the firearm when she hugged him. It's a tragic accident, but no one's going to lose their job or get sued. Well...anyone CAN get sued, but that's not an actionable case.

That's why they call them tragic accidents.

I agree with you that it was an accident and that the officer was not at fault. But from reading the family's comments, I just think they will sue. Maybe I am wrong. I hope so.

They certainly CAN sue. Just a waste of time and effort, not to mention the families probably know each other. Cooler heads will probably prevail even in this situation.

Let's hope so. Boy I am cynical in my old age. Smiley_emoticons_wink

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Riotgear - 07-09-2012

(07-09-2012, 11:54 AM)OnBendedKnee Wrote:
(07-09-2012, 11:51 AM)ramseycat Wrote: This is without a doubt a tragedy. But you watch. Her family is going to sue and this guy will lose his job. I am no gun expert but it does sound like a freak accident.

That is interesting and unusual logic, especially after calling it a freak accident.
I'll choose to allow more information to gather before speculating.

What are you CRAZY?

(07-09-2012, 12:57 PM)ramseycat Wrote: Let's hope so. Boy I am cynical in my old age. Smiley_emoticons_wink

Not at all. We've aged in this society to expect things like this. Didn't use to be that way.

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Cracker - 07-09-2012

[Image: Shootingx-inset-community.jpg]

Had to have a picture to put with the words.

She looks nice.

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - pspence - 07-10-2012

No matter what the circumstances he should lose his job cause his safety should have been on

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Ma Huang Sor - 07-10-2012

(07-09-2012, 10:03 PM)Cracker Wrote: [Image: Shootingx-inset-community.jpg]

Had to have a picture to put with the words.

She looks nice.

With a body like that I can see why the gun went off.

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - username - 07-10-2012

LC, what's s.o.p. with regards to the safety? I know nothing about guns but it seems crazy to carry one around, off duty with the safety off.

Not blaming the officer but it does seem slightly irresponsible.

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Riotgear - 07-10-2012

Did I miss what kind of gun?

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - username - 07-10-2012

(07-10-2012, 01:12 PM)Riotgear Wrote: Did I miss what kind of gun?

I don't see it but Six must have. Maybe it's in the full article?

I thought pretty much all guns had safety's. Smiley_emoticons_slash

RE: Woman killed from hugging a police officer - Riotgear - 07-10-2012

Glock has no external safety.