Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
COOPER HARRIS, 2, DIES IN HOT CAR: JUSTIN HARRIS CHARGED WITH MURDER
Thanks HOTD!
See, here’s the thing. If parents came to me for an installation check, and their child were Cooper’s age, I would strongly recommend that they turn him back rear facing. The AAP, NHTSA, and other pertinent organizations all recommend rear-facing until at least age 2, and longer if they haven’t outgrown the limits of the seat (many will rear face until 40lbs and 40inches, so most kids will be 3-4 before outgrowing). As for the straps, when rear-facing the straps MUST come from below the child’s shoulders or directly at the shoulders, never above - as that would allow the child to ramp up the back of the seat on impact which risks head injuries or possible ejection. SO…if I did a check and instructed parents to turn their child back to rear facing, and to make sure the straps came from below the shoulder…I could potentially see this situation (with the seat only - not the entire situation) happening. Now, without knowing what seat he was in, I can’t say for certain… if it was an infant seat he definitely had outgrown it. If it was a convertible seat (can rear face or forward face), it’s possible that he was within the rear facing limits still, even if the straps weren’t adjusted properly.
HOWEVER…I’m of the belief that Justin Ross Harris is guilty as sin.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leaving kids or animals in the car. - by Cutz - 06-19-2014, 08:14 PM
RE: Leaving kids or animals in the car. - by Cutz - 06-22-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: COOPER HARRIS, 2, DIES IN HOT CAR: JUSTIN HARRIS CHARGED WITH MURDER - by ScientistsCanvas - 11-09-2014, 11:09 PM