Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OUTRAGEOUS! westboro wingnuts will picket funerals of victims
The Westboro Church is a hateful bunch of bigots. I was ignorant as to what legally classifies as a "hate group" in a society that embraces freedom of speech/expression; had to look it up. Here's the definition:

A hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society. According to the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), hate groups' "primary purpose is to promote animosity, hostility, and malice against persons belonging to a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin which differs from that of the members of the organization." The Southern Poverty Law Center's (SPLC) definition of a "hate group" includes those having beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics.

In the US, two main organizations that monitor intolerance and hate groups are the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and the SPLC. Hate groups are also tracked by the FBI...

The Southern Poverty Law Center has designated several Christian groups as hate groups, including American Family Association, Family Research Council, Abiding Truth Ministries, American Vision, Chalcedon Foundation, Dove World Outreach Center and Traditional Values Coalition.

I think that the Westboro Church fits the criteria and hope that the petitioners succeed in getting it classified as a hate group. I do believe that its members should be able to protest and spew whatever they want (no crime there). But, if they're classified as what they really are, awareness will be increased and members of the public that disagree with their bullshit can counter-protest and cause them to retreat (as was done by people in Newton and by Anonymous when the haters tried to picket the Newton victims' funerals).

Messages In This Thread
RE: OUTRAGEOUS! westboro wingnuts will picket funerals of victims - by HairOfTheDog - 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM