Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MISSING/FOUND DEAD: Baby Elaina - Toledo
18 month old Elaina has been missing since June 2nd.

Is she being hidden from her father in the midst of a custody battle? Did she really just wander off or get abducted? Was Elaina killed and reported missing as a cover?

I hope this one doesn't turn out like Ailayah Lunsford, Lisa Irwin, Jahessye Shockley and so many others where the child/body isn't located and the circumstantial evidence points right back to the mother and her associates.

[Image: 22573756_BG1.jpg]
Baby Elaina

[Image: mom_5-_raci.jpg]
Mother, Angela (Mories) Steinfurth

Elaina was last seen at a house where Angela Steinfurth was staying that night (700 block of Federal Street,). Elaina's father, Terry Steinfurth, had gone to the house about 2 p.m. Sunday to pick up his daughters but was only allowed access to the 4-year-old, police said.

He left to summon his father as a go-between, then returned about half an hour later, after which Mrs. Steinfurth went inside for 20 to 25 minutes only to come back stating that the younger girl had been sleeping in a front bedroom but had gone missing. A man who was at the residence, Steven King, Jr., had gone out of the back door, supposedly to look for the girl, police said.

Last Thursday, police and divers searched the Maumee River after the mother and her boyfriend reported finding something near it while doing their own search. Elaina was not found.

Police said they checked the residence from which Elaina went missing “at least five times” and conducted door-to-door searches in the neighborhood but failed to find the girl. They searched residences again last night.

Last night's search came just hours after Toledo police announced that they were offering a $10,000 cash reward to anyone who could provide information that leads to the girl's whereabouts. Anyone with information should call 1-800-225-5324.

Hoping the reward leads to some valid tips and LE can uncover what really happened to Elaina quickly.
This story was originally highlighted by @ttownclown in the Why Toledo is a Shithole thread.

Recent posts with local poster insight copied from there:

by @Harvey Sykes 6/12/13 pm

So my Mom works with the Fraternal Grandma of elaina and said that CPS was called several times on the mom. Also a day before her disappearance the baby was seen with a black eye, fat lip and dried blood in her nose. Apparently she was yanked around and spanked a lot. And the 4 year old spent most of the time in front of a television. This is heartbreaking and as a mother of a 24 month old I don't understand how people can do this. It takes a piece of my heart every damn time.

by @Older Than Dirt 6/13/13 am
The mother was arrested 6-12 at 10-11 pm. Closed the Lucas County Booking site & too tired to open it again to be exact. She is charged with child endangering. I THINK that baby was abused by the BF and mother didn't want to lose custody. I don't know if baby is alive. I heard the paternal grandfather being interviewed on the radio yesterday and he sounded very nice and concerned.
Thanks, OTD. You were right; Angela Mories (Steinfurth) was arrested just before 11 pm last night, following the search of an abandoned home.

A cadaver dog was involved and a GMC Safari van was searched and towed from the scene.

From Toledo Blade this morning:

The mother of missing toddler Elaina Steinfurth is in the Lucas County Jail on a child endangering charge.

Angela J. Mories, 26, was booked into the jail at 10:55 p.m. Wednesday.

The charge is a third degree felony.

Full story:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2...harge.html
Thanks for posting Harry. Last night the tp scanner stationed closed shortly before they released the arrest. Hoping she's just hiding this baby. :/
How is it that an 18 month old baby is seen with a black eye and reported missing at least 5 times and no one stepped in and took the kid away? After the second or third time the baby went missing you'd think someone would do something.
My colleagues in the child protection department would have intervened as soon as they saw the black eye.

I've got a very bad feeling that they are looking for a body not a baby.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(06-13-2013, 10:21 AM)sally Wrote: How is it that an 18 month old baby is seen with a black eye and reported missing at least 5 times and no one stepped in and took the kid away? After the second or third time the baby went missing you'd think someone would do something.

That quote from LE was worded weirdly in the OP, sally.

Elaina wasn't reported missing five times. LE confirms that they searched the home for Elaina or clues at least five times after she was first reported missing on June 2nd. They went over that house with a fine tooth comb.

No baby there. And, maybe no signs that a baby had been there? Mom and the kids were supposedly staying over night at a friend's house and that's where Elaina went missing. Could be a total lie.

If the abuse rumors are true, I don't know why the baby wasn't removed from her mother, but it makes me fear that the baby is dead rather than being hidden for custody's sake.
Not looking good, people are so fucked up.
(06-13-2013, 10:40 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(06-13-2013, 10:21 AM)sally Wrote: How is it that an 18 month old baby is seen with a black eye and reported missing at least 5 times and no one stepped in and took the kid away? After the second or third time the baby went missing you'd think someone would do something.

That quote from LE was worded weirdly in the OP, sally.

It was worded weirdly, I'll blame it on that and not my reading comprehension.
Looks like we have another candidate for mother of the year.
(06-13-2013, 10:31 AM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: I've got a very bad feeling that they are looking for a body not a baby.

I'm so afraid the baby is gone also.

The grandparents should have taken the two children earlier on, don't sit around and call CPS my God a little baby with a black eye! what the hell kind of Mother is this? she's a thug and her boyfriend is a thug.

The State needs to stick up for the Grandparents when it comes to unfit and abusive parents, some of these parents to-day are living for drugs and parties and the innocent babies suffer!!

It's very strange that Julie King didn't see the little baby all day on that Sunday. Maybe Julie King works and was not present when Angela Steinfurth arrived at her home, there is a possibility the baby never arrived there period. Anyone else wondering?
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
(06-13-2013, 04:51 PM)NightOwl Wrote: The State needs to stick up for the Grandparents when it comes to unfit and abusive parents

I agree with that.

I know there's more to raising kids than simply loving them but how friggin' difficult is it to give a kid a happy, safe environment to grow in. There are so many stories like this one. Goddamn.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(06-13-2013, 04:51 PM)NightOwl Wrote: It's very strange that Julie King didn't see the little baby all day on that Sunday. Maybe Julie King works and was not present when Angela Steinfurth arrived at her home, there is a possibility the baby never arrived there period. Anyone else wondering?

I don't know how credible the ex-boyfriend's mother (Julie King) is, NightOwl. Haven't seen her speak. Apparently, she was on Nancy Grace's show Tuesday night and claims her son saw the baby mid day on the 2nd. Could be true, or her son could have lied to her, or she could be covering for her son and/or Angela. I'm not entirely convinced that Elaina was ever at the King house that day either.

I'm glad Elaina's case is getting coverage from HLN and Nancy Grace; hopefully the media exposure will inspire leads or tips.

Based on the update below, the baby was seriously injured before her father came to pick her up and the mother did nothing to help the baby so as not to alert CPS or lose custody. The baby probably died and was disposed of by the mom and/or the ex-boyfriend. Hope the ex-boyfriend took the baby and stashed her somewhere safely instead, but I think police and Angela's family know that baby is deceased. IMO

This just posted at HLN's website:

Angela Steinfurth, 26, also known as Angela J. Mories, is being held at the Lucas County Jail on a $250,000 bond.

Steinfurth’s 18-month-old daughter Elaina went missing from an East Toledo home on June 2 where the missing girl’s mother was staying with her ex-boyfriend, Steven King.

King’s mother, Julie King, owns the home where Elaina was last seen alive. She told the Nancy Grace show Tuesday that the last time her son saw Elaina was about 12:30 p.m. on June 2 when Steinfurth changed her diaper and put her down for a nap.

Terry Steinfurth Sr., Elaina’s paternal grandfather, spoke to Nancy Grace Wednesday night about what happened when he and his son arrived at the King’s home in an attempt to retrieve Elaina.

“Angela and I argued that she wasn`t going to give me the baby because my son wouldn`t let her have her back if she did,” Steinfurth Sr. said.

“After a short period of time, she agreed to give her [Elaina] to me…I heard what I thought was the baby crying at first. I figured she woke her up. And then I realized it was Angela crying and screaming that she was not going to give me the baby because if she did, she`d never see it again,” Steinfurth Sr. said.

About fifteen minutes later, the missing girl’s grandfather told Grace that Elaina’s mother came running out of the house, and screamed, “The baby is gone!”

According to an arrest affidavit filed in the case, police say Elaina’s mother “did violate her duty of care, protection and support with respect to her minor child [redacted] 18 months of age.”

“Steinfurth did admit to law enforcement officers that she was aware that her minor child had sustained serious physical injury and that her minor child required medical treatment…[she] further admitted that she failed to ensure that her minor child received the necessary medical treatment for that said injury,” the document added.

Angela Steinfurth’s stepfather, Richard Schiewe, told the Nancy Grace show Thursday that Steinfurth called him from jail Wednesday night after she was arrested.

“Nobody is saying if she [Elaina] is alive. I told detectives last week we are not going to find her alive and that’s what my gut is telling me,” Schiewe said.

Steinfurth’s public defender James MacHarg could not be reached for a comment Thursday. HLN’s repeated calls to Steinfurth for a statement have not been returned.

A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for June 20.
(06-13-2013, 05:08 PM)Duchess Wrote: how friggin' difficult is it to give a kid a happy, safe environment to grow in.

From my experience it's much easier than a salt water fish.

hah
God you did it again, blessing Angela with that little angel, was another mistake you made. Signs_173

Hoping Elaina is found alive!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

(06-13-2013, 07:21 PM)Carsman Wrote: Hoping Elaina is found alive!

Me too, Cars. But, it's not looking good, imo.

Angela's stepfather, who is supporting her, was interviewed by the Toledo Blade and says that Angela should have cooperated and been honest with police from the start. He has always believed that Elaina is dead, not missing. Why? IDK. But, he knows his daughter and the circumstances better than most. I think he believes that Angela's boyfriend, Steven King, fatally injured the baby and that Angela is covering for him. JMO.

Angela was a hot mess at her arraignment. Given that she's an emotional wreck, it's more likely LE can get her to crack as to what really went down on June 2nd while they have her incarcerated for child endangerment. Hoping so anyway.

[Image: CTY-arraign14p.jpg]
Elaina's mom, Angela Mories Steinfurth, at her arraignment for child endangerment.

Snip:
“She’s guilty of not taking care of that baby like she should have,” Mr. Schiewe (Angela's stepfather) said. “She should have taken that baby to the hospital ... ”

Mr. Schiewe said Mrs. Steinfurth told him her boyfriend, Steven King II, dropped the girl. She reportedly told her stepfather she does not know where the girl is.

“The condition of the baby and the severity of the injuries, I can’t tell ya,” Toledo police Capt. Wes Bombrys said during a news conference Thursday. “We don’t know. The location of Elaina, we still don’t know, and that’s why we say it’s still an ongoing investigation.”

The captain said the case is still a missing-person investigation and has not been reclassified as a homicide. He declined to comment on who possibly injured the young girl. “We’ve charged her at this point with what we believe is appropriate,” he said. “Additional charges? Possibly. May not. … Wherever our investigation leads us, we’re going to continue searching for her.”

The girl’s father, Terry Steinfurth, Jr., and paternal grandfather, Terry Steinfurth, Sr., held a news conference Thursday night at the East Toledo Family Center.

[Image: Terry-Steinfurth-Jr-father-of-missing-toddler-Elain.jpg]
Elaina's dad, Terry Steinfurth, at a search site.

When asked about his estranged wife’s involvement, the younger Mr. Steinfurth said he did not want to speculate. “I’m not gonna bash anybody,” he said. “I feel justice is being served. She made several mistakes.”

Ref:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2...-help.html

I'd like to slap the teeth right outta her mouth. Stupid cow. I have no pity for her.
(06-14-2013, 01:18 PM)Duchess Wrote:

I'd like to slap the teeth right outta her mouth. Stupid cow. I have no pity for her.

I hear 'ya. I really really hope Elaina is alive, but feel that if she were her mother woulda cracked by now and handed her over rather than sitting in jail and losing both of her daughters.

Angela admits that Elaina was seriously injured and wasn't gotten medical help, but she's telling her stepdad that Steven King (and his roommate Mike, per Facebook) are responsible for the injuries and she has no idea where Elaina's at.

And, The GMC Safari van that was towed from the vacant home after the cadaver dog search is now confirmed as belonging to Steven King.

So, if Steven King is being fingered by mom and it's his van that's currently being processed by LE, why no arrest of Steven King? Maybe LE doesn't believe Angela or maybe they're sweating her for everything to nail King too in exchange for plea?

Julie King is the mother of Angela's boyfriend, Steven King. It was from King's home that Elaina supposedly disappeared. She says her son told her that he saw the baby around 12:30 p.m. on June 2nd when Angela changed her diaper and put her down for a nap. Wonder how much Julie King knows?

Here are the adults involved in all of this:

[Image: Elainaplayers_zps4ace88d7.jpg?t=1371163553]

I resent these parents so much, you just don't know. I resent all parents who are lucky enough to have such a precious gift and basically throw it away.