Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Martin MacNeill Murder Trial - WHO'S YOUR DADDY?
(10-27-2013, 10:29 PM)sharit Wrote: I believe the first ME died from breast cancer. Who is Vanessa MacNeil?

Vanessa is daughter #2. She has had drug problems in the past.

And, Ada MacNeill is her daughter.
Damian MacNeill

There isn't a whole of info about Damian MacNeill floating around.

I do know that his ardent defense of his father when his sisters were adamant that he'd murdered their mom caused a lot (more) discourse in the family.

This is a video that Rachel MacNeill made for her brother Damian's funeral - kind of a tear jerker. I think the girl with the long light hair whom he's talking to on the subway is Vanessa MacNeill (looks like a grown up version of young Vanessa pictured in the OP), Damian's older sister and mother of Ada. They seemed close. (Don't know where Vanessa MacNeill stands in terms of her father's guilt or innocence - she's not front and center like Alexis and Rachel.)

I'm gathering from the video clips that Damian did his Mormon mission in Hiroshima, Japan.

He was studying law at NYU when he killed himself.
Here's some background on how Martin MacNeill tried to use his son Damian's death to his advantage.

The Defense's Motion - pointing the finger at Damian
The defense motion states the biggest offense was the prosecutors withholding information about Damian MacNeill, the son of Martin and Michele MacNeill, who could be viewed as another possible suspect in the case.

Defense attorneys argue that the state believed Damian MacNeill had homicidal and violent tendencies and were concerned enough to send an email to Damian's law school informing them that he could be a threat.

The State's response

In the state's response, prosecutors wrote that this is not relevant to the case for several reasons, including the fact that the letter was sent to New York University two and a half years after Michele MacNeill's death and was sent solely as a precaution based on tweets from what appeared to be Damian MacNeill's Twitter account.

"There is no expression or belief on the part of the investigator that Damian had homicidal feelings at or near the time of Michele's death," the prosecutors' motion states. "Moreover, there is no evidence corroborating any belief that Damian was involved in Michele's death."

...........................The Email that LE sent to NYU warning them about Damian's Twitter threats

It states, "To be perfectly clear, Damian MacNeill is not a suspect in the death of his mother. However, at the insistence of MacNeill family members, we entered 'damianmacneill' into Google and were shocked at the postings found on his Twitter site, which suggests a propensity to commit indiscriminate violent crimes. ... The comments by Damian MacNeill are very troubling wherein he speaks of killing others and the joy of such."

The letter goes on to say that the county attorney's office considers Damian MacNeill a "ticking time bomb, someone who has been through a lot in his life and apparently it is coming to a head." The letter also states that NYU should take whatever action it deems necessary and that the attorney's office didn't want to ignore what could be warnings signs of violence to come.

Source:
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/ce...9c698.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if Martin MacNeill manipulated his son into making himself an alternate suspect via Twitter, and Damian went over the edge and wasn't prepared to follow through when his academic advisers and others became aware of the crazy tweets (I haven't found the actual tweets anywhere).

But, maybe I only feel that way because I think Martin MacNeill is the absolute scum of the earth (whether he killed his wife or not) and wouldn't put anything past him.
WITNESSES FOR THE PROSECUTION CONTINUED TODAY

So, Gypsy was back on the stand today. 78

Her testimony confirmed:
She sent MacNeill a picture of her ass the day after his wife died; she and MacNeill exchanged text messages during his wife's funeral; she and MacNeill shopped for engagement rings a couple of months after Michele's death and he bought her a 4.5 carat ring; MacNeill told her that he never loved Michele; she presented herself to others as MacNeill's wife, Jillian MacNeill... She said her relationship with MacNeill has been over for a very long time and she couldn't remember a lot of details about the day he proposed.

BUT, prosecutors then called her mom, Vicki Willis (pictured below), to the stand.

[Image: vicki-willis-macneill.jpg]
Mrs. Willis testified about how the family set off fireworks to mark the engagement and celebrated at a restaurant on July 4th, 2007. Mrs. Willis said the family was "giddy" about such a fine and impressive man joining the family (at least, that's what she thought about him then) and that she was led to believe that his wife had died that January, not just 3 months prior to the engagement party.

Michele's sister, Linda Cluff (pictured below), testified today that at a funeral luncheon, Martin MacNeill was joking around and laughing about how he was going to have to get used to living the life of a bachelor.
[Image: linda-cluff-macneill.jpg]

12 year-old Ada MacNeill's (pictured below) interview video with a female investigator shortly after Michele's death was played in court.

[Image: 144-Martin-MacNeill-case-Trial-may-pit-girl-12.jpg]
Ada answered a lot of questions about what happened that day and about her dad with, "I don't wanna talk about it". But, she did tell the investigator that the water in the tub was almost brown and it was hard to see; her mother was all the way submerged under water; she'd just walked home from school with her dad when she discovered her mom; her dad sent her to fetch the neighbors to get Michele out of the tub.

Martin MacNeill's account conflicts with Ada's. He told his older daughters that Michele was slumped over the tub with her head and her feet sticking out.

Tomorrow's witnesses
Daughters Sabrina, Vanessa and Alexis are expected to be called to testify on Wednesday.

I've already found this guy guilty in my mind. What a despicable human being he is.

It's so sad & awful to know a little girl discovered her Mom like that. It would be for anyone but jeez, her little girl.

The bimbos Mom is wearing an expensive blazer. It looks tailored. I can't help it, I notice this stuff. 78

I've gotten (sorta/kinda) emotionally involved in a couple cases in here, I'm trying not to do it with this one. I always want these people to just die & not just die peacefully, I'd like to see them alone and in agony in a ditch somewhere and scared out of their minds.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-29-2013, 05:50 PM)Duchess Wrote: What a despicable human being he is.

There's absolutely no doubt about that.

WITNESSES FOR THE PROSECUTION CONTINUED TODAY

Today, three of his daughters and another alleged mistress testified against Martin MacNeill.

[Image: article-2480465-1916193400000578-193_634x405.jpg]
Alexis Somers ^ told the jury about how she had taken care of her mother following her mother's surgery; a surgery which she says her mother Michele was reluctant to undergo, but her father Martin MacNeill was pushing for.

Alexis explained that her father insisted she not stay with Michele in their bedroom at night and descrobed how she'd found Michele highly over-medicated one morning during her week long care for her mother.

Alexis testified that Martin MacNeill admitted that he had given her too many meds. Alexis explained that Michele feared being over-medicated by Martin and wanted to feel all the pills so she knew what she was being given (her face was bandaged).

Alexis also explained that Michele had told her about Gypsy Jillian Willis, a woman who Michele suspected her husband was seeing. Michele had paid to have his phone records traced and they led to Gypsy Jillian Willis.

Alexis flew back to school on April 10th - by that time she says that her mother was doing well and the two had gone out to dinner before she left. The next day, she got the call from dad and flew back to her parents' house. Michele was dead.

Alexis asked Martin MacNeill where her mom's meds were, along with the med log that Alexis had been keeping. Martin MacNeill told her that the police must have taken them. (Damian MacNeill's girlfriend tetified earlier in the trial that she and Damian had flushed the meds after Michele's death - on instruction of Martin MacNeill.)

A week later, Martin MacNeill began to talk to Alexis about a woman he referred to as "Jillian" becoming a nanny for the kids. Alexis confronted him and he grew irate at the cheating accusation.

[Image: article-2480465-191598C500000578-156_306x423.jpg]
Vanessa MacNeil ^, 32- she testified that she had volunteered to take care of the younger children after her mom's death, but her father told her that everyone had to get on with their lives and he was going to hire a nanny.

Martin MacNeill had asked Vanessa to be on the 3-person committee to interview nanny candidates (along with Damian MacNeill and his girlfriend Eileen Heng). Vanessa confirmed what Eileen testified to earlier in the trial; the only candidate that they ever interviewed was Gypsy Willis. Martin MacNeill had told them that the other candidates had cancelled their interviews.

Vanessa also recalled telling her sister, Alexis Somers, that she didn't think her father would be involved with Gypsy Willis because Gypsy was nothing like her mother. (Well, she was wrong about him not being involved with the tramp Gypsy, but right about Gypsy being nothing like Michele MacNeill.)

Vanessa was emotional on the stand - not to the extent of Rachel MacNeill, but Vanessa's also clearly devastated by all that's transpired.

[Image: article-2480465-1915938800000578-44_634x432.jpg]
Sabrina MacNeill ^, 19 - she's from the Ukraine and was adopted by the MacNeills when she was 11.

Sabrina testified that Gypsy Willis once made spaghetti during her tenure as the kids' nanny, but did nothing else in the way of nanny duties. She explained that Gypsy would go to her dad's room at night where the two would have "vacations".

Sabrina also testified that her dad and Gypsy never left the house together so as to avoid "suspicion".

[Image: 628x471.jpg]
Anna Osborne Walthall ^, another woman who claims to have had an affair with MacNeill, was called to the stand and testified that Martin told her you could make someone's heart stop with meds, without detection...

Walthall was discredited on cross, IMO. She has been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder and apparently also told investigators about bizarre dreams she's had about the case. (Personally, I'd not have called this witness were I the prosecutor.)

Tomorrow:

The Medical Examiner, Dr. Todd Grey, is expected to be called by the prosecution.
MEDICAL TESTIMONY

Sure hope that the judge allows the state's medical expert, Dr. Joshua Perper, to testify. The state really needs Dr. Perper, IMO.

Perper's a renowned forensic pathologist whose expert opinion of blood test analysis results contradicts the defense's claim that Michele died of heart malfunction.

There's a hearing underway now to determine whether the judge will allow him to testify that it's his professional opinion that Michele MacNeill instead died of drowning.

THE STATE'S MEDICAL EXAMINER:
Yesterday, Utah Medical Examiner Todd Grey testified that he could not determine Michele's exact cause of death but said it could have come from a heart attack combined with drug toxicity. That supports the defense's contention.

THE STATES EXPERT WITNESS - CARDIOLOGIST:
Today, Utah cardiologist David Cragun said 50-year-old Michele had a mild form of heart disease that wouldn't have killed her. This refutes the defense's contention that Michele had a heart attack and died after falling into a bathtub in 2007.
We're watching HLN tv, which is delayed.

News is reporting that Perper was allowed to testify.

Snip:

Dr. Joshua Perper, a retired medical examiner who was called as an expert witness at the murder trial of Dr. Martin MacNeill, said that not only did he believe the mother of eight was drowned, but drugs could have also played a role in her April 11, 2007 death.

"It was clear she was inhaling a significant amount of water," Perper said.

He said the report that MacNeill regurgitated more than seven cups of water during the resuscitation process also played a role in helping him reach his conclusion.

"In addition, she had some drugs on board [that] in my opinion, could have contributed to her death," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/martin-macneill...d=20753409
MORE WITNESSES FOR THE PROSECUTION - THE JAILHOUSE SNITCHES (NO IDENTITIES SHOWN TO PUBLIC)

Two of the inmates who had been incarcerated with Martin MacNeill testified today that MacNeill never directly told them that he killed his wife, but did tell them his wife ("the bitch") had drowned. This is what the prosecution is contending to be the cause of death.

Another inmate testified that while MacNeill did not tell them that he killed his wife, MacNeill did tell him, "they can't prove it was me", when asked if he'd killed his wife.

One of these inmates got a deal on a theft case to testify against MacNeill; the others say they got nothing in exchange for their testimony. All contend that they are telling the truth and just wanna do the right thing.

Tomorrow, a fourth inmate is scheduled to testify that MacNeill told him expressly that he had indeed killed his wife.

Gypsy Willis is also expected to be called to the stand again.

Ref:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/570819...csp?page=1
FINAL PROSECUTION WITNESSES

Final jailhouse snitch

A fourth inmate testified this week. He said MacNeill admitted drowning Michele. On cross, the defense introduced communications with his family indicating that the inmate hoped his testimony would help him get out of prison. He admitted making the statements, but claimed it was just a hope, not something that he was promised in exchange for his testimony.

Mistress called again as last prosecution witness
Gypsy Willis was called to the stand again yesterday. Letters that she and MacNeill exchanged while they were incarcerated for identity theft were introduced to the jury. "I will always love you", "you're worth all that I'm going through" kinda stuff was exchanged between the couple. Gypsy said she was so lonely in prison that the letters were very welcomed.

Gypsy admitted that she and MacNeill had taken out a marriage license, that they pretended to be married and lived together...But, she says that even though she never told him so explicitly, the relationship has been over for her as of 4 years ago when she got released (HOTD: No contact with MacNeill was part of her release agreement). Gypsy contends that she is not trying to protect MacNeill and that she's in another relationship. Martin MacNeill shed a few tears during her testimony.

The prosecution rested its case yesterday.

I think the biggest challenge in getting a "guilty of first degree murder" verdict is the MEs' autopsy rulings. The first ME ruled "natural causes". The second one ruled "undetermined" and testified that Michele could have died from drug toxicity mixed with pre-existing conditions.

Dr. Berber, the state's expert witness, testified that he believed the water in Michele's lungs and other factors he gathered from the medical reports led him to believe that Michele died as a result of drowning. I think he held up well under a long intense cross-examination, but not sure how the jury will weigh his paid opinion against the state-employed MEs.
DEFENSE CASE - MACNEILL INVOKES ALIBI DEFENSE

The defense's case was short - few witnesses called.

MacNeill is now contending that he couldn't have killed his wife because he wasn't home.

Co-worker:
The defense called a fellow doctor (Jim Van Zant) who testified that he saw MacNeill leave the developmentl center sometime around 11 and noon on the day of Michele's death. He said that he didn't notice anything unusual.

Kindergarten teacher:
Ada MacNeill's kindergarten teacher (Linda Strong) testified that kindergarten ended around 11:30 a.m that day and that's about the time Martin MacNeill picked her up.

Ergonomics expert:
An ergonomics expert (Brett Besser) testified that though he couldn't say it would be impossible, he felt it would be very difficult for one person to lift Michele outta the tub when she was found (supporting MacNeill's story as to why he sent Ada to fetch neighbors for help after she found her mom in the tub).

The prosecution rebutted those claims with testimony claiming that the defense's expert used inapplicable work place safety standards to form his opinion.

MacNeill did not take the stand and the defense rested its case yesterday.

According to phone records, Martin MacNeill called 911 at 11:46 a.m. and 11:48 a.m. that day.

I think MacNeill had plenty of time and the alibi defense is weak. Utah County Attorney’s Office investigator Jeff Robinson previously testified that the drive from Martin’s MacNeill’s work to his Pleasant Grove home took about five minutes, going about 30 mph. He could have done something to Michele before picking up Ada, or picked Ada up first and drowned Michele during the approx. ten minutes before the first 911 call was made.

Closing arguments are scheduled for today, followed by jury instructions and verdict deliberations.
GUILTY OF FIRST DEGREE MURDER AND OBSTRUCTION!

PROVO, Utah (AP) — A jury convicted a doctor of murder early Saturday in the death of his wife six years ago, bringing an end to a trial that became the nation's latest true-crime cable TV obsession with its tales of jailhouse snitches, forced plastic surgery, philandering and betrayal.

Martin MacNeill, 57, showed little emotion when the verdict was read. He hugged his lawyer afterward and said, "It's OK."

He faces 15 years to life for first-degree murder when he is sentenced Jan. 7. He also was found guilty of obstruction of justice, which could add 1-15 years. MacNeill was led by deputies back to Utah County jail.

Full story:
http://news.yahoo.com/jury-finds-utah-do...29565.html
Lead up to the GUILTY verdict

Court was back in session several times Friday night, as jurors asked a question relating to Utah laws regarding inheritance. The jury also requested a copy of the 911 call Martin MacNeill made.

The jury reached a decision at about 1 a.m. after deliberating since Friday afternoon, and the verdict was read at about 1:15 a.m.

[Image: macneill-murder-verdict.jpeg?w=402]
Stone-faced motherfucker MacNeill when the verdict was read

Sentencing has been scheduled for Jan. 7 at 1 p.m. Bail was set at $1 million, cash only.

http://fox13now.com/2013/11/09/jury-reac...der-trial/

Hallelujah! I'm so happy they saw through all his lies & I'm happy for the kids too. This is a good & just verdict. TaTa, muthafucka.
(11-09-2013, 11:45 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Hallelujah! I'm so happy they saw through all his lies & I'm happy for the kids too. This is a good & just verdict. TaTa, muthafucka.

Really happy for the kids too, and Michele's sister and nieces. They pushed very hard to get Martin MacNeill charged with murder. I don't think the state could have prosecuted him without the circumstantial evidence provided by Michele's daughters, along with their determination and their testimony. It was a six year fight for justice.

The kids lost their mom and they lost their brother. Really, they lost their father too - the man they thought they knew never really existed - all lies. The kids were afraid for their safety if MacNeill was not convicted. Don't blame 'em - he seems to be a sociopath with no boundaries or fear of repercussions.

I didn't see the verdict reading, but it's being reported that Michele's family and friends cried out with relief when it was delivered.

Daughter Alexis (dark hair) and members of Michele's family after the verdict.
[Image: 1247494.jpg]

Alexis perhaps pushed the hardest to see her father convicted; she's the one who took care of her mom after her mom's surgery and to whom Michele confided about Martin's affair with Gypsy. She was also attacked harshly by her father's defense team.

Alexis's statement to reporters:
“We are just so happy he can’t hurt anyone else,” said Somers, tears streaming down her face. “I can’t believe this has finally happened. We’re so grateful ... there was justice for Mom.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-cell.html

Just saw this link & hope I'm putting it where it belongs.
Thanks for the news, Pat. It's in the right place.

Martin MacNeill is a coward. He must feel like a trapped rat not being able to lie or manipulate his way out of repercussions, for once in his adult life.

I'm glad his suicide attempt was thwarted and he will be returned to prison for life - no easy way out for him (like Ariel Castro took).
(12-06-2013, 04:29 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Thanks for the news, Pat. It's in the right place.

Martin MacNeill is a coward. He must feel like a trapped rat not being able to lie or manipulate his way out of repercussions, for once in his adult life.

I'm glad his suicide attempt was thwarted and he will be returned to prison for life - no easy way out for him (like Ariel Castro took).

He should be back in court soon. Alexis is pressing charges as well from when she stayed there & he groped her. I read somewhere they wanted to wait until the murder case was finished before moving forward with this one. What a dangerous, creepy guy. I can't imagine how the kids felt finding all this out about their dad.
SENTENCING

Yesterday, Martin MacNeill, 58, was sentenced to at least 15 years and up to life in prison on a murder charge, plus one to 15 years on an obstruction of justice charge. A third sentence in a separate conviction for sexual abuse against his daughter will add another one to 15 years.

Judge Derek Pullan ruled Friday the sentences will run consecutively, one after the other. The Utah parole board will decide later whether MacNeill can be released after 17 years or must serve a longer term.

[Image: Martin-macNeill-e1384486031571.jpg]

I don't think MacNeill will ever be paroled. He'll be 75 by the time he's eligible anyway. I think he'll die in prison, as it should be.

He's a horrible individual, both for murdering his wife and for what he put his kids through. I hope he never knows another day of freedom for the rest of his miserable life.

I read that he laughed when sentenced but I didn't post it because it came from the Daily Mail and I can't always trust their "facts".