Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Phillip Seymour Hoffman found dead
Rochester, N.Y. - American actor and director Philip Seymour Hoffman has died. He was 46.

The Academy Award winner was found in his Manhattan apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan this morning morning, according to the New York Police Department, which is investigating.

The cause of death has not yet been determined.

Hoffman won the Best Actor Academy Award and the Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture -- Drama for his leading role in the 2005 film "Capote."

He was nominated for three Best Supporting Actor Oscars, for "The Master," "Doubt," and "Charlie Wilson's War."

Hoffman was a Fairport native.

[Image: philip-seymour-hoffman.jpg]
Fuck!

He was a bloody good actor. He even made Tom Cruise look good in Magnolia.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.

The New York Times is reporting that he OD'ed. Whatta waste.

The actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday morning of an apparent drug overdose, according to a law enforcement official who requested anonymity because he was not certain the actor’s family had been informed of the death.

The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46, was found in his West Village apartment around 11:30 a.m. by a friend who had become concerned at not being able to reach Mr. Hoffman.

Investigators found a syringe in his arm and an envelope containing what is believed to be heroin, the official said.

“It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose,” the official said. “The syringe was in his arm.”

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor his role in the 2005 film “Capote,” in which he portrayed the writer Truman Capote.

He had undergone treatment for drug addiction in the past, and spoke in interviews about “falling off the wagon” last year after remaining clean for 23 years.

A woman answering the phone at Mr. Hoffman’s New York production company declined to comment. “I don’t have a comment at this time on that, thank you,” she said.

Story
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Why do so many genuinely talented people piss their lives away?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
He uttered one of my all time favorite lines in Along Came Polly with Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston.

To Stiller's character: "Dude, we gotta go, I just sharted"

Stiller: "I don't even know what that means..."

Hoffman: "it means I just farted and a little shit came out."

Stiller: "You're the grossest person I know."

He was also in The Talented Mr Ripley. Very, very good actor.

I think many people will be so surprised to hear of his death. He wasn't viewed as a flake. He was taken seriously & respected as an actor.
He was a humble person, and I just heard that on CNN they were saying that locals where he lived said he was 'approachable' and just hung out around where he lived. He didn't play the 'I'm a big star' card. He was a normal guy. The arrogant live on. What a terrible loss.
He was definitely one of my top 10 favorite actors. Loved him in The Big Lebowski. RIP.
The Big Lebowski is one of a handful of movies that I own. I love all the actors in that one, Hoffman especially.

I also loved him in Boogie Nights and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Honestly, on the one hand, I feel very sad for him and his family and it sucks that one of the two actors I'll actually watch a movie just to see act (Daniel Day Lewis is the other) is dead.

On the other hand, not to be disrespectful or to minimize the power of temptation/addiction, it kinda pisses me off that someone who had so many resources and so much money at his disposal, and little kids depending on him, couldn't/wouldn't put himself on lock-down. Shit, The Kid did it.

Maybe he just couldn't and wouldn't let anyone else intervene. IDK. I liked River Phoenix and Heath Ledger too and felt the same way.

Anyway, I hope he rests in peace and his family has peace too.
(02-02-2014, 03:38 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Why do so many genuinely talented people piss their lives away?

Because often they think they are indestructible. I know what happens often with addicts, is if they relapse after recovery, they use what they were used to BEFORE they cleaned up..and it becomes too much for their newly clean system.
Poor guy...he was one I hoped would make it. I really liked him..local boy makes good and all, but I am totally pissed to hear he was scheduled for a visit with his kids, and he was gonna do it wasted.
I think he was clean for 20 some years after rehab at 22.

I wonder what made him throw all those years away?
Only the good die young.

Thatcher and Reagan seemed to live for fucking ever.

He has three little kids :(

[Image: article-2550694-1B29BCE000000578-39_634x638.jpg]

[Image: article-2550694-1B2A48A700000578-258_634x955.jpg]
Forgive me, but I'll save my tears for a guy that had three young kids and got whacked by a drunk driver, a stray bullet from a gang banger or some poor bastard that caught a disease they didn't have the money to treat. Not some asshole who had so many resources at his touch, yet forewent everything he loved..

I do feel sorry for his direct family and kids, though..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021

I was simply speaking to the fact his children are little, not to the fact he threw his life away.
Yeah I know you were, but I wasn't.
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
There are a few words I like to say on a daily basis and I feel like they work for me:

Lord lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil, for thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory. Forever and ever. Amen.

Obviously a snippet of the Lords Prayer. It is all encompassing (from the start). Touches all facets of a persons life.

It's so hard to understand how something can have so much power over an individual that they disregard everything else in their life.
(02-02-2014, 09:27 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Because often they think they are indestructible. I know what happens often with addicts, is if they relapse after recovery, they use what they were used to BEFORE they cleaned up..and it becomes too much for their newly clean system.

That's what happened with my dad, he was 47. Lost everything he owned and finally sobered up and moved in with my mom. He relapsed one day and it was too much on his system, shut everything down instantly. My mom came home and found him on the bedroom floor, she tried CPR but he was already gone.
(02-03-2014, 09:46 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: Lord lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil, for thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory. Forever and ever. Amen.

Moving sentiments.

Personally when faced with temptation I like to invoke the spirit of He-man and the Masters of the Universe by quoting these profound words “by the power of Greyskull! I have the power!”

I like it when people try and suggest their religious beliefs are profound and complex it makes my laugh because in reality religious beliefs could not be more childlike or simplistic.

“Santa Claus?, the Easter Bunny? The Tooth Fairy? Don't be ridiculous! Now bow your head and pray to a Jewish zombie who probably never existed!”
(02-03-2014, 09:46 AM)Midwest Spy Wrote: There are a few words I like to say on a daily basis and I feel like they work for me:

Lord lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil, for thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory. Forever and ever. Amen.

Obviously a snippet of the Lords Prayer. It is all encompassing (from the start). Touches all facets of a persons life.

It's so hard to understand how something can have so much power over an individual that they disregard everything else in their life.

So what happened on that day you were flirting and ended up staring at the tits of a woman other than your wife? Maybe it was a Jesus-free day?

Or maybe you can sympathize about the power of something over you that makes you disregard everything in your life more than you realise..