Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS
(10-12-2017, 04:46 PM)username Wrote: And therein lies the difference. The fire pictured above and (maybe others) devastated city areas. Suburbs. When the collective "we" think of wildfires, they're out in the hills, possibly dotted by small cities but this fire has taken homes...it's like my house burning down. Absurd (except from the inside)! I'm surrounded by other homes and streets; I feel very immune but that's a fallacy. I don't know how the Santa Rosa fire started but the truth is, I have a barren hill (except for the mountain lions) less than a 14 of a mile away.

In the area of Santa Rosa....IIRC, on the west side of our major thoroughfare (Hwy 101) there are some fields, pastures etc. Again, I don't know where any of the fires started specifically but I know one jumped Hwy 101; the east side of that same freeway is homes and neighborhoods. So many people affected in this one who probably thought "never'.

Yeah, it really does feel different; I've stopped thinking 'never'.

My neighbor's sister and brother-in-law bought a house in Santa Rosa 7 months ago. It's in a neighborhood that was burned down and the neighbor lady hasn't been able to reach them; cell service is nada there. She's losing it - really hope she gets a hold of them soon.

And, my wine-distributor friend is lodging a couple of people who had to immediately evacuate Sonoma county.

You're right, it's gotten so widespread in the last 48 hours that it seems like everyone around me knows at least one person who's been severely impacted. '(

Glad you're not in the immediate line of fire. It's a historically destructive one. Actually, I think the news guy said it's 23 separate fires all joining forces.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SHE'S A POWERFUL FORCE -- NATURAL DISASTERS - by HairOfTheDog - 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM