Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
how does your garden grow?
Apparently quail like cilantro. I put some herbs in a pot and when I went to water them it looked all wierd and then today I saw them just eating the leaves, and honestly I didn't mind. I MIGHT GET MORE CLIANTROL JUST FOR THEM!

(04-26-2022, 08:33 PM)MirahM Wrote: Apparently quail like cilantro. I put some herbs in a pot and when I went to water them it looked all wierd and then today I saw them just eating the leaves, and honestly I didn't mind. I MIGHT GET MORE CLIANTROL JUST FOR THEM!

*applauds*  I love that you would do that for something that is fucking up your plants.

I've never seen a quail in nature!

Could they be looking for someplace to nest, like maybe in your pot?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I once walked into a field next to a dam and was in the middle of it when an entire flock of quail decided it was time for all of them to fly. It scared the living shit out of me.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
They do that (Like any flock I suppose)
They are the funniest creatures, I love them!
I started feeding them when I got Bela, so she would have something to watch in the window. She loved it too.

I don't think they are nesting in my pot. They pass by my place twice a day, morning and evening. They probably nest up in the hill behind my place. The place I live took out soo many bushes and replaced it with rocks-the quail used to nest in the bushes. : ( It made me so fucking sad. Ugh.

(04-27-2022, 03:50 PM)MirahM Wrote:  They pass by my place twice a day, morning and evening. 

That is so cool. 

Now I want to know why I don't see quail here. 
They don't exist on the west side of the state, where it is wet. They must like the hot dry climate.

I've never seen a pheasant in the wild either, have you?
Pheasants are not native to America and they were brought here to hunt.
(04-27-2022, 06:41 PM)Duchess Wrote: I've never seen a pheasant in the wild either, have you?

No. 
There are some wild turkeys around.

As to what Maggot said, there are Elk in North Bend that were brought over in the 1920's for a fair and they were left there and there has been a herd ever since-but they aren't native to that area and they destroy people's trees, speaking of gardens!

(04-27-2022, 07:27 PM)Maggot Wrote: Pheasants are not native to America and they were brought here to hunt.

Small, but tasty!
I feel like a slacker as I didn't have a real garden this year. Just a few tomato plants in 5 gal buckets.
(04-27-2022, 06:41 PM)Duchess Wrote: I've never seen a pheasant in the wild either, have you?

I’ve posted this elsewhere in here. 

Not in the wild, but I’ve seen a whole family of pheasants (6) crossing a back road I take going to the 
supermarket stopping the little traffic on that road. They are beautiful birds!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

I would love to see them in person. I know they're around here. It took forever for me to see the wild turkeys here, everyone saw them but me for a long time.
My dogs are natural born pheasant hunters. I don't hunt with them, but instinctively they will point, wait by my side and go when I tell them. If I were into shooting pheasant and quail we'd be eating good.
They don't allow peasants in the supermarket here.
(08-13-2022, 05:43 PM)Duchess Wrote: I would love to see them in person. I know they're around here. It took forever for me to see the wild turkeys here, everyone saw them but me for a long time.

Yeah lots of wild turkeys around here i.e. Maggot, rothschild, Piglet, and Big Mark. 39
*snort laugh*
Says the jive turkeys.
(08-13-2022, 05:38 PM)Carsman Wrote:

I’ve posted this elsewhere in here. 

Not in the wild, but I’ve seen a whole family of pheasants (6) crossing a back road I take going to the 
supermarket stopping the little traffic on that road. They are beautiful birds!

There are 6 "baby" (smaller sized) quail here-and the older quail are all taking care of them, its cool to watch.

Seriously, just went from deer, quail, turkeys and squirrels frolicking in the backyard to fast and furious car burnouts all day long at our San Francisco airbnb. Next up is Twin Falls Idaho then maybe Moab or Yellowstone.