Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LC's famous ginger cookies~and more soupy-chicken recipes~
(05-11-2011, 09:25 AM)Duchess Wrote:

Someone just gave me a shit ton of asparagus & I'd like to know of a way to prepare it other than steaming.

Yes, I'm requesting cooking h h h help. I could hardly spit that out. Blush

If you are Southern and don't care if you get fat:

1 12 pound fresh asparagus, bottoms trimmed
8 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 12 cup milk
1 jar (5 ounce size) old English cheese
1 12 cup crushed buttery crackers (like Ritz)
34 cup sliced almonds

Boil asparagus for a few minutes (or steam in microwave steamer) then cool.

Melt half the butter in a sauce pan, then add flour, salt and milk; mix over medium heat until thickened.

Add cheese and mix together over medium heat until completely melted and mixed. Melt remaining butter and mix with crushed crackers.

Spread half the cracker mixture on bottom of 9x13" pan sprayed with Pam. Place asparagus on top of cracker layer. Pour cheese mixture over top; add remaining crackers and toasted almonds.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until slightly brown.

Broiled in the oven is also good, but my favorite is asparagus with either hollandaise or bearnaise. I go ahead and make eggs benedict with I have good asparagus around.

Cream of asparagus soup is also easy and wonderful in the summer. Similar to this (I force it through a colander to puree):

4 tbsp. butter
1 sm. onion
1 qt. chicken stock
2 tbsp. flour
12 c. heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch fresh asparagus

(You may substitute about 2 cups broccoli, asparagus, or cauliflower).
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan, stir in flour. Cook, cool. Wash and cut asparagus. Saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter in large pan, stir in asparagus. Cover. Cook for 3 minutes. Stir in broth, heat to simmering. Stir in flour mixture. Cook or simmer until asparagus is tender, about 20 minutes, mash or puree, add salt and pepper.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

Messages In This Thread
RE: LC's famous ginger cookies~and more soupy-chicken recipes~ - by Cracker - 05-11-2011, 04:40 PM