Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Tipping
no. not cows. [Image: kaos-animal-cow-smiley-6120.gif]

what do you think about this?
what kind of tipper are you?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, San Francisco Restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you. Is this fair?

Many in the food industry say “…yes, it’s about time.” However, many “foodies” are not as happy with the idea. According to an article in the San Jose Mercury News, for the most part, people, on average tip between 15% – 20% and the restaurant worker actually has to claim 15% of that to the IRS.

Opinions that sway against the increase said that “…the whole purpose of a tip is to reward service.” They feel the new tip increase should be earned and if more is needed, then they must step up their service so that the increase justifies a larger tip amount.

Not everyone is against the idea. Some have felt with the state of the nation’s economy is in, that 25% is not unreasonable. And some tip above the average already. Some went a step further to say if you want to reward service, you must start tipping the workers at fast food places as well. Most fast food workers earn minimum wage and rarely get tips.

Funny you posted this.

I love tipping great service! As a matter of fact, when I am with a very close and well known friend. She tips 100% eveytime (bitch!).

This was posted yesterday, and what the guy wrote to the waitress is funny shit. But hey, he forgot to tip! Fucker!
The FAT waitress!
i think i know who your friend is...100% wow! that is generous!

a cop question:

do you always sit facing the door? Police haha
and if you see work-release or former arrestees working in restaurant, will you still eat there?

I tip 20%, I always have. If I were to go out & dine and 25% was automatically added to my bill I wouldn't give them my business again. It's not like servers are unaware of the industry they choose to work in.

I have a big problem with servers who ask if I want my change back & that is always reflected in my tip..again, they know what business they are working in. I don't want to hear moaning about their dissatisfaction with the amount of their tips.

I've heard stories of servers chasing their customers out the door asking if they forgot something when they haven't been tipped or didn't get as much as they thought they should. WTF.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(10-14-2011, 10:16 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: i think i know who your friend is...100% wow! that is generous!

a cop question:

do you always sit facing the door? Police haha
and if you see work-release or former arrestees working in restaurant, will you still eat there?

Girl, I don't ever eat anywhere some crackhead might be working! But I do always face the door or sit where I can see everyone. It helps me critique the regulars and watch for baddies.

I always let my backside do my advertising when I am on my own time though!

(10-14-2011, 10:21 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I have a big problem with servers who ask if I want my change back & that is always reflected in my tip..again, they know what business they are working in. I don't want to hear moaning about their dissatisfaction with the amount of their tips.

Yeah, I hate this bullshit too! WTF. Do you want your change back, yes bitch and get me another Tea! mama is still thristy!
i stopped going to restaurants when they said i couldn't smoke anymore. ok. fuck 'em. my dime.
but while still living in Florida i would go to outdoor beach joints where i could still smoke.
and here too, waterfront lobster places.

yep...former prisoners and felons are bad news, they will spit (or worse) in your food while serving or cooking your scrambled eggs.

(10-14-2011, 10:28 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: yep...former prisoners and felons are bad news, they will spit (or worse) in your food while serving or cooking your scrambled eggs.

Well considering, I have had worse in my mouth. Cha Cha! [Image: oral_sex.jpg]

Tipping has been an issue with me for quite some time now. Automatic tip up front can get you blase service. I have previously posted elsewhere my view on tipping, and will again post it here. (many seem to disagree, but. . .)

I don't like the percentage tip, I think a "flat rate" PP tip is better, of course, tip "if" the service is good. My view is with percentage tip, if I feel I want a $35 steak, vs a $10 hamburger, why should one have to pay more tip for the steak, then the burger? The steps from the kitchen to my table for the server are the same carrying either dish. So why should it be required to leave 20% x $35 = $7, vs 20% x $10 = $2 ?
If a flat PP tip standard was used, say $4, $5, or $6 PP for dinner, then it would actually be better off for the server delivering the burger.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

A friend owns an 'upscale' lunch joint in downtown Phoenix.

The days and hours: M -F, 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

He pays his servers $12 / hr.

Cooks: $20 / hr.

He distributes 10% of the daily NET, equally, to his employees.

Menu states "Gratuities are not required. It is our privilege to serve you."

His philosophy is quite simple: "My guests are not responsible for my employees income."

7 employees split between $450 and $600, daily.

And many of the guests, knowing the philosophy of this restaurant, continue to tip these outstanding employees.

Including me.

Pay your employees a decent wage, value them, provide a superior product with outstanding service and don't get greedy.

You will be successful.
The restaurant we ate in had a side room with one door and a fire exit and no windows. Fuck looking over your shoulder while eating.

we always paid and tipped up front.

The standard tip was 3 bucks each, most of the time we went 7 together unless one unit or the other was busy.

The waitress made good money on us and we always got great service.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I would like to dine at a restaurant like that, Tiki. I would still leave a tip but it just goes to show, it's the thought that counts.

IMO 25% is excessive (I usually tip 20%) and no, I definitely DON'T want it automatically added to my bill.
Commando Cunt Queen
We've all had the good servers and bad. I tip accordingly.

Last Friday, my wife and I took our 2 little ones to Old Chicago (pizza place). When ordering our favorite pie (sausage, onions and green OLIVES) we always make sure the server understands OLIVES and doesn't think we've said GREEN PEPPERS).

So for the 20 minutes waiting for the pizza, our 4 and 3 year old were on their best behavior. Lo and behold, what appears on our pie when it arrives, but Green Peppers.

The gal knows it immediately. Tries to blame it on the kitchen, but I know she typed it in wrong. She tried to make amends, but at the end of the day, it just was bad service. I don't know how else to describe it.

Got them to bake us OUR pie while we ate the one she brought out. Tipped her 10% instead of our normal 20%.

By the way, I am COMPLETELY AGAINST having a tip automatically incorporated into my bill.
I tip according to the service, average 10%, above and beyond 25%.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I usually tip 20%, sometimes more if the service is good and I'm feeling extra nice due to the wine buzz. I'd rather not have to automatically pay 25% for bad service, however. Most of the time the service is good, but there have been a few times where the service was so lousy they didn't deserve a tip at all. Like that bitch who brought me my oysters without tabasco and horseradish and then disappeared for a half hour.
Sally your avatar is bugging me today it reminds me of the Beatles in bizarro world.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

The one she had with the smurf on her breast was hawt!
(10-14-2011, 12:02 PM)Maggot Wrote: Sally your avatar is bugging me today it reminds me of the Beatles in bizarro world.

I changed it, hopefully you'll like this one better.

hah Today, I think you all are the best Members any forum could hope to have. I have laughed almost every minute I have looked into Mock today.
when Dick said he paid up front, he reminded me of something. some places will try to let cops in uniform NOT pay because they like them in the house. or even more nefarious reasons. i did not like that one bit and always insisted on paying. i didn't want anyone to ever say i owed them a favor. i even made sure i didn't take free coffee at dunky donuts. and i tipped them well because whenever they saw me coming they made a big iced coffee for me w/o me having to ask. nice people.

i like to tip well for good service, but would not want the percentage to be mandatory. nope. then they may slack off thinking they didn't have to make an effort.