Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Brett Seacat Trial
Anybody following this? I just heard about the case yesterday.

KINGMAN - "Fire destroys evidence, and no one knows that better than a law enforcement officer," Amy Hanley, assistant Kansas attorney general, told jurors Wednesday during opening statements in the trial of Brett Seacat, a former Kansas police instructor charged with killing his wife.

After a jury of five women and 10 men, including three alternates, was selected, attorneys' opening statements in the third day of trial clearly depicted the opposing standpoints in the case.

Prosecutors allege Seacat, angry over his wife Vashti's filing for divorce, shot her in the head and tried to cover it up by setting their Kingman home on fire. The defense, meanwhile, counters she was depressed and set the fire herself before committing suicide.
"Those are the only two options in this case," Seacat's attorney, Roger Falk, told the jury, referring to whether Vashti's death was a suicide or a murder "in cold blood" in which the state alleges Brett walked up and shot his wife in her sleep.

Falk acknowledged there was no dispute that accelerant was used to set the fire early April 30, 2011, at the Seacats' home here at 255 E. B Ave. There's also no dispute that Vashti was found dead following the fire, with a fatal gunshot wound to her neck just below her ear, he said.

"The issue in this case is who pulled the trigger and who struck the match," Falk told the jury.

Seacat is charged with first-degree murder, aggravated arson and two counts of aggravated endangering a child, as he escaped the blaze with the couple's two young sons, then ages 2 and 4.

In opening statements, Hanley told jurors Brett was served with divorce papers on April 27, 2011, just days before his wife's death. She'd filed for divorce April 13 but agreed to let Brett stay "to keep the peace," Hanley said.

"He was angry," Hanley said. "He didn't want the divorce. He wanted Vashti to give him more time."

When she refused, "the defendant had his own plan," Hanley told jurors.

Before her death, Vashti was moving on with her life, making plans to go to Cancun with her sister and to see a Tim McGraw concert in May 2011 in Wichita. Her co-workers at Cox Communications in Wichita will testify she was upbeat and happy before her death - and they'll also testify Vashti telling them her husband previously threatened to kill her, burn the house down and make it look like a suicide, Hanley said. Vashti also told others her husband, an instructor at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, said if she ever left him, he'd take their two sons and run away, according to Hanley.

"She moved forward with the divorce ... so the defendant had no choice but to move forward with his plan," Hanley said.

Brett got a .44-magnum Ruger Redhawk handgun and shot his wife in the head while she was sleeping before setting fires in two places in their home "to cover up his actions," Hanley told the jury. The state also alleges he planted a forged suicide note in her journal that an expert will testify "was not naturally prepared" and shows "all the classic signs of forgery," she said.

The day before his wife's death, Brett went to work at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center in Reno County. He asked a co-worker to retrieve an overhead projector for him, and the co-worker thought that was odd since no one used them anymore, Hanley said. Brett said he was going to use the projector to research fraud, even though he didn't teach anything on fraud, she said, and he spent the morning with the door to the office locked, lights out, with legal paperwork and cards from Vashti strewn across his desk.

On the afternoon of April 29, 2011, Brett went to a shop at the KLETC and asked for a torch, which he then used to burn hard drives, discarding them in a trash bin, Hanley said. He also allegedly broke apart cellphones, discarding them in a different trash bin.

After his wife's death, Brett told investigators he walked through the fire to get to Vashti, who was on a bed in the second-story bedroom, and that there was blood everywhere, Hanley said. He said he tried to pick her up, but her head was limp and he dropped her. Her body was found on its side, and "the covers are still on her, pulled up to her waist," with the gun found tucked underneath her left side, Hanley said. Brett was only wearing pants, but police saw no blood or soot on him after the fire, and only a minor burn to his foot, she said.

Falk reminded jurors statements from attorneys aren't evidence and asked them to remember three things: "the autopsy, suicide note and depression."

"That's the trilogy this case is about," he said.

A coroner spent six months examining Vashti's body but couldn't determine whether her death was a homicide or suicide, he noted. The defense will bring in its own expert who will testify the suicide note does match Vashti's handwriting, according to Falk, and the note was in a journal that had binding - "not something you can crack open and lay on an overhead projector to make a tracing."

Falk argued that Brett had confronted Vashti the night before she died and told her he'd publicly reveal her affair with a Cox Communications executive if the divorce got nasty.

"That's what my client, Brett Seacat, did wrong that night," Falk said. "He shouldn't have threatened his wife."

Brett was asleep on the couch at about 3:51 a.m. April 30, 2011, when he got a call from Vashti, who was upstairs - Hanley told jurors Brett "planted" that phone call himself.

According to Falk, Vashti said Brett needed to come get the boys, who were also upstairs, or they could get hurt. Brett started up the stairs and heard "two loud bangs," ran upstairs, and spotted flames flickering around the door of the bedroom. He tried to pick up his wife, but she was limp. He called 911 and kept them on the phone, explaining he was trying to get her out, Falk said.

Source

http://www.hutchnews.com/seacat/A1--seacat--1

[Image: r8Af4.SlMa.80.jpg]

[Image: cameron_diaz_something_about_mary.jpg]
Commando Cunt Queen
If Vashti did tell her co-workers that her husband had threatened to “kill her, burn the house down and make it look like suicide” and they testify to this in court it really doesn't look very good for Mr Seacat.

Not very good at all.

I really don't think a mother would set fire to her house and endanger the lives of her children no matter how depressed she was either. That just doesn't wash with me at all.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
It seems like a slam dunk but I never take these things for granted anymore. I've heard she did have some history of depression.

You'd think a law enforcement officer would know better than to make a threat like that and then carry it out shortly after. Idiot.
Commando Cunt Queen
I haven't been following the case closely, but did see a bit of coverage about it on Nancy Grace.

Why would his wife set fire to the house before killing herself, especially with her little boys there? That's just one of many of Seacat's claims and actions that makes no sense. I think that he's not only a murderer, but an extremely stupid one.

Another enraged, jealous, selfish spouse in the midst of divorce who couldn't let his spouse walk away, and couldn't care less about the impact on his children. IMO. Just like Clay Waller and so many others.

[Image: 18Sn7d.SlMa.80.jpeg]
Vashti Seacat and her sons
His interrogation audio is interesting. He tries very hard to sound indignant. 78
Commando Cunt Queen
(06-01-2013, 12:57 PM)username Wrote: It seems like a slam dunk but I never take these things for granted anymore. I've heard she did have some history of depression.

This one is a slam dunk. If Brett Seacat isn't convicted, I'll be stunned.

The "she was depressed" angle almost always comes up from the defense in these cases where a murder is being portrayed as a suicide by the spouse/defendant.

When you're in a marriage that's so bad it results in your murder, there's bound to be times when the victim had spoken to others or written about times of depression. Actually, almost everyone has their low times, regardless of the state of their marriage.

-Matt Baker claimed Carrie Baker committed suicide.
-Doug Grant claimed the same about Faylene Grant.
-Mark Jensen claimed the same about Julie Jensen.
-Michael Fletcher claimed the same about Leann Fletcher...

The list goes on. None of the juries bought the suicide angle in light of all of the other evidence pointing to the spouse, and all but Fletcher had more believable stories than Seacat, imo.

Hope this jury is as sensible as the others.
Yeah, I couldn't even find a "Brett is innocent" support site!

Shame the ME couldn't determine suicide over homocide.
Commando Cunt Queen
(06-01-2013, 03:46 PM)username Wrote: Yeah, I couldn't even find a "Brett is innocent" support site!

Shame the ME couldn't determine suicide over homocide.

hah No innocence site and no defense donation fund. He's definitely doomed!

In some of the cases I mentioned, the ME couldn't exclude suicide either.

Luckily, most of these intimate partner killers are so arrogant that there's a ton of circumstantial evidence that points to murder.
Not a good day for Brett Seacat at trial.

Snipped:
The marriage counselor who helped Brett and Vashti Seacat in the months before Vashti's spilled some of the couple’s darkest secrets on the stand Monday.

“She told me that he had awakened her from her sleep and told her that he had a dream that he had killed her… she was troubled by that,” said Suderman.

Vashti Seacat first showed up to counseling as a “last ditch” effort to avoid divorcing her husband, according to Suderman. She told the therapist she was concerned about their communication issues and their differences in beliefs and basic values.

Suderman testified that Vashti was depressed and isolated at first, but as the months went on she decided to take control of her life and part of taking control meant divorcing Brett.

Brett Seacat says Vashti shot herself and set their home on fire because she was secretly depressed. But in their last session together, Vashti told Suderman she was better than she had been in years -- physically, emotionally and mentally.

The two had even talked about suicide in the past, with Vashti saying she would never do it for two reasons: Her religious beliefs and her two boys.

“She just loved being a mom, she couldn’t leave them -- they needed her,” said Suderman.

A co-worker who declined to have audio or video recorded said Vashti told her about another specific threat made by Brett “that he would kill her, burn the house down and make it appear as though she did it.”

Another co-worker, who was also there when she discussed this threat, went on to elaborate: “He said that he could get away with it because he was in law enforcement and he knew about those things and that firemen were, I forget the word, but basically idiots. Morons is what he was eluding to.”

The defense tried to press this male co-worker about having an intimate relationship with Vashti, but he continued to say the two were nothing more than friends.

All of the co-workers who testified Monday agreed that Vashti was upbeat in the weeks before her death, describing her as “full of life,” “more connected with friends,” “forward-thinking” and “very optimistic.” One co-worker remembers telling Vashti on the day before she died how beautiful she was, saying, “She looked amazing that day.”

This co-worker (and close friend) had offered to let Vashti and her boys stay over, since Brett was supposed to be moving out the next day. But Vashti declined, telling her, “He won’t hurt me, he won’t hurt us” (referring to their two boys).

...But the manner of death was left undetermined because of the damage caused by the fire.

Full article:
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/03/...pt=hln10_3
I tip my hat to anyone that can keep up with the nuttiness that goes on in this world. I have a hard time tying my shoe in the morning sometimes wondering what I will step in today and wondering if its worth it.
You detectives are the best.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(06-01-2013, 02:04 PM)username Wrote: His interrogation audio is interesting. He tries very hard to sound indignant. 78

I just saw/heard a piece of that video. Yep, he seems to be trying too hard. He sounds very "off" to say the least.

Wonder if Seacat's really gonna take the stand?

Don't envy his defense attorney. Seacat seems unbelievable and unpredictable, to me. But, testimony so far has been really damning to him.

Tough call for the attorney (if Seacat's even following his attorney's advice).
His half brother is on the stand saying Vashti appeared depressed. Weak.
Commando Cunt Queen
(06-04-2013, 02:50 PM)username Wrote: His half brother is on the stand saying Vashti appeared depressed. Weak.

Very.

Her religion and the love for her children make it extremely unlikely she would even contemplate taking her own life. Even for the sake of argument she was depressed enough to be suicidal there's no way she would set the home on fire and endanger her children.

Seacats big fat mouth blurting out how he would kill his wife then set the house on fire to make it look like suicide has damned him in my eyes.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
That's stupid. LE didn't check Brett's hands for gun residue.
Commando Cunt Queen
Seacat took the stand today.

Didn't see it, but read the recap here:
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/06/...ony-vashti

"If I wanted to kill my wife I could've come up with something better than that. This is crazy," he said.

That's what they all say...
If that's the best he can come up with on the stand he is definitely going down.
Ha! I missed it too! I imagine it was like his interview; fake righteous indignation.
Commando Cunt Queen
Do you have a link to the interrogation video, I saw a snip of it where he became hostile. He is a cop! He should have thought of a better way to kill her, but he knew how to destroy evidence.
(06-07-2013, 12:12 PM)LytoMe Wrote: Do you have a link to the interrogation video, I saw a snip of it where he became hostile. He is a cop! He should have thought of a better way to kill her, but he knew how to destroy evidence.

I couldn't find a full copy of the interrogation but bits of it are played here (it might be the parts that you already heard though). It starts about a 14 way in to it if you want to skip the background on the story. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Commando Cunt Queen
The judge on Friday denied a routine defense motion for acquittal, leaving the verdict in the hands of the jury. Closing arguments are expected Monday afternoon.

Really hope the jury reaches a guilty verdict quickly on this one. This guy is so full of shit, imo.

Seacat's final day of testimony:

With his two young sons safely outside their burning home, a former Kansas lawman raced back inside the smoke-filled structure barefoot to try to pull out the body of his wife before he was driven out by smoke so thick he couldn’t see or breathe, he told jurors Friday. {HOTD: But, he had no blood on his clothes and only a minor burn on his foot. Not likely, imo}.
The defense contends Vashti Seacat set the fire before killing herself.

One point of dispute is whether a suicide note was written by a depressed wife and mother or forged by someone else. The prosecution contends that traces of gasoline were found on the pants Brett Seacat wore that day, but the defense raised questions about how that evidence was handled.

During his second day of testimony, Brett Seacat, a former police instructor at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center and before that a Sedgwick County sheriff’s deputy, recounted an argument that he and his wife had the night she died.

The couple had been receiving marriage counseling, and Seacat said he was upset when he learned that night that she meant to go through with a contested divorce she had filed for 16 days earlier.

He testified that he threatened to tell his wife’s employer about extramarital affairs she had with two managers, in order to try to get her fired. He said he also threatened to publish private photos of her. He admitted he also told her he would take their children and she would never see them again. {HOTD: He'd threatened her with those things in the past and she'd told others. Lots of threats.}

“On several occasions, I stopped her from doing something I don’t think I am allowed to talk about,” Seacat testified. {HOTD: But, nobody ever knew about this and he never told their counselor? }

The comment, an apparent reference to previous suicide attempts, prompted prosecutors to object. The judge ordered jurors to ignore the statement.

Jurors intently listened while Seacat recounted how he had slept on the couch that night, until his wife woke him up at 3:51 a.m. with a call from their upstairs bedroom to his cellphone.

“She said, ‘You need to come get the boys or they are going to get hurt,’” he testified.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/07/427...orylinkcpy