Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anti-NRA Movie Planned by Harvey Weinstein, Starring Meryl Streep
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/anti-nr...de=16407-1

Here comes a movie about those evil firearms, from a guy who has never owned one. WOW, cant wait to see this one . . . NOT !
I predict dismal sales on this one. But considering movies like die hard, and terminator and gun toting cowboys they have a long way to go as long as they are doing this.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

I read a comment early this morning made by someone associated with this movie, it implied this movie was going to piss of the NRA and many others. I guess you're a couple of the others. Ha!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I don't know about that Maggot. I think it could do OK. People forget/overlook the fact that there are more murders in Chicago daily than we see in these shootings, but then bitch and moan when the mass shootings happen. I think it will all depend on the way the movie is presented/previewed and the location of the opening. If they turn it into a graphic mass shooting bitch fest and premier it in New town, it could be a block buster IMO.
Duch there are 3 sides to every story. They will be showing 1 side only. I dont see it coming off as a good thing for firearm owners thats for sure.
(01-16-2014, 05:46 PM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: premier it in New town,

I'm almost certain that will never happen. They didn't even want media there to cover the one year anniversary.
OK Poor example, but you get the idea.
(01-16-2014, 05:47 PM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: I dont see it coming off as a good thing for firearm owners thats for sure.

Umm...isn't that the main intention?
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
(01-16-2014, 05:49 PM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: OK Poor example, but you get the idea.

I got it when you said it. [Image: angel12.gif]

Is Harvey a hypocrite? He's made a shit ton of money off shoot 'em up films.
(01-16-2014, 05:46 PM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: I don't know about that Maggot. I think it could do OK. People forget/overlook the fact that there are more murders in Chicago daily than we see in these shootings, but then bitch and moan when the mass shootings happen. I think it will all depend on the way the movie is presented/previewed and the location of the opening. If they turn it into a graphic mass shooting bitch fest and premier it in New town, it could be a block buster IMO.

I don't understand this, F.U.

If you wanted to make the point that not enough attention is paid to murders in Chicago because they're now expected and people are jaded to gun deaths in some inner cities, I see your point.

But, to suggest that it's "bitching and moaning" when attention is paid to unexpected mass/spree killings and that people and media should... what?...also pay no attention and just accept them/not talk about them?...seems quite silly, to me.

Am I understanding you wrong?
I guess I didn't word that very well HotD. What I was trying to say is its a double standard kinda thing. People ignore the inner city issues and at the same time speak up when its a mass shooting in a movie theater, school, grocery store, etc. I did not mean to make it sound like I think they should shut up about all shootings, however I do think the 15 minutes of fame shit is part of the problem.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this movie. I see it driving a even bigger wedge between the anti and the pro sides of this issue. Every time the anti side utters a word about regs, banning, etc the pro side pushes back even harder because they fear they will loose their rights, and visa-versa.

Does that make more sense, or am I still confusing?
(01-16-2014, 06:01 PM)crash Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 05:47 PM)F.U. Dont ask again Wrote: I dont see it coming off as a good thing for firearm owners thats for sure.

Umm...isn't that the main intention?

You are right crash.

Then I can see the NRA making a pro gun movie showing stories about the many times a gun is used to stop a deadly crime, rape etc. It will end up being a tit for tat, back and forth thing, and nothing good will come out of it. The two sides will be driven farther and farther apart and it will take longer before anyone wants to talk about a real solution to this issue. Its all one big waste of money if you ask me.
I understand you now, F.U. Thanks.

I see it differently. I don't see 15 minutes of fame being a big driver of gun violence. Those in the frequent inner city shootings don't usually get much coverage, as you noted, and typically lie about involvement and eventually go to jail, if they're caught. The mass/spree shooters quite often kill themselves or get killed as part of their plans, so they're not around to enjoy the fame in most cases.

IMO, emotional instability and mental illness are much greater contributing factors.

In any case, I think it's worthwhile for people to be aware, discuss, share opinions, and do as much as possible to understand why this violence (gun and otherwise, mass and otherwise) is happening, in hopes of minimizing such future acts through pattern identification and the like. Logical gun control is one option and, to me, there are many other factors that need to be addressed to affect positive change as well.

Tons of movies, shows, and video games exist that glorify gun ownership and gun violence. It's everywhere. I don't know if that's a real contributor to gun violence or not. But, I don't believe in censorship of those any more than I oppose this new movie covering the down side of the gun culture and the NRA influence in America.
(01-16-2014, 05:35 PM)Maggot Wrote: I predict dismal sales on this one.

I think you are right maggot. But the co-founder of Miramax Films should have his finger on the pulse of what sells. Maybe he is driven by his convictions and isn't concerned with its box-office success.
Michael Moore has already addressed this issue and nothing has changed.

Sandy Hook was the barometer of Americas relationship with guns and one commentator was correct “if Sandy Hook doesn't make Americans question their attitude towards guns then nothing will”

Amen.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(01-17-2014, 05:44 AM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Sandy Hook was the barometer of Americas relationship with guns and one commentator was correct “if Sandy Hook doesn't make Americans question their attitude towards guns then nothing will”

Why would reasonable, law abiding Americans need to question their attitude about guns? Blame those that deserve it and those would be the people who don't enforce the laws we already have, those who make straw purchases, etc.
(01-17-2014, 06:52 AM)Duchess Wrote: Why would reasonable, law abiding Americans need to question their attitude about guns?

Because the attitude of some of them towards gun control is allowing sociopathic lunatics to arm themselves with assault weapons.

That's why.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
Here is a interesting read I just found. http://washingtonexaminer.com/crime-stud...le/2542118

Short C&P from that thread . . .

Crime study: Handguns, not 'assault rifles,' used in most mass shootings.

Media hype about mass shootings in America has fostered a myth that the killings are on the rise and that an assault weapon ban, expanded background checks and greater attention to the mentally ill will curb a rampaging epidemic, according to an authoritative and exhaustive study by a noted criminologist.

Instead, according to James Alan Fox, author and criminology professor at Northeastern University, mass shootings have remained stagnant over 34 years, averaging 20 a year, and few were committed by the type of berserk psychos portrayed by the media.

“Public discourse is grounded in myth and misunderstanding about the nature of the offense and those who perpetrate it,” he writes in the journal “Homicide Studies.” He added: “Without minimizing the pain and suffering of the hundreds of those who have been victimized in recent attacks, the facts clearly say that there has been no increase in mass shootings and certainly no epidemic.”
While a little older, 2012, this one says basically the same thing as the above link. Over 75% of the guns used were legally owned and about 50% of the guns used were handguns. Only 25% +- of the weapons used were rifles.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012...otings-map

As I was rereading that link I just noticed [page 2] that there was actually a woman shooter in one of the shootings. I thought it was always a male doing this shit.

Goleta postal shootings: Goleta, California

Jan. 30

Former postal worker Jennifer San Marco, 44, shot dead a former neighbor then drove to the mail processing plant where she used to work. Inside, she opened fire, killing six employees before committing suicide. Total injured and killed: 8
F.U., would you be able to watch the movie with an open-mind and acknowledge that some truly valid points were made, if in fact that was the case?