Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Knight
I was extremely excited about this movie. I could not wait to see it. And then when the early reviews came out and they were outrageously positive I thought for sure I would be let down. Even Rotten Tomatoes had it at 95% positive which NEVER happens on that website. People were going crazy calling it one of the best movies of the year, or ever made. I thought that this must be hysteria surrounding Ledger's recent death. So the group of us I went with all decided NOT to be overcome by all of the positve reviews and just watch it and make our own decision on if the movie was great or not.

Well after seeing it i can say this 100% - it is amazing. It is not just a great "super hero" movie, it is an incredible movie from start to finish. I would be shocked if it does not win multiple awards and potentially even Best Picture. At a bare minimum Ledger should win for best supporting (or lead) actor. Dead or alive, his portrayal of the Joker is beyond memorable. It is creepy, unique and a character for the ages.

The plot is deep, twisting, and filled with a ton of character plot lines. Visually the movie is dark, but also HUGE. The entire city is used, destroyed, and featured. The action is as good as any action film in recent memory and there is also multiple relationship story lines and some humor on top of it all.

Bale further establishes himself as the standard for the role and is even more perfect as Batman then Tobey Maguire is as Spiderman (and Maguire is pretty darn good in that role)

With an all star cast that includes Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, AND Morgan Freeman it is hard to decide who does a better acting job. They ALL are exceptional in their roles. Eckhart is perfect as Harvey Dent / Two Face and Freeman (Lucius Fox), Caine (Alfred) and Oldman (Lt James Gordon) are are great again reprising their roles from Batman Begins.

I am betting that this movie tops the all time opening day record from May 2007 Spiderman 3 film's opening weekend mark of $151 million. It is that good.

Finally the movie is about 2.5 hours long but feels about 1 hour long because the pacing is so well and the editing is perfect. There are no lulls, no slow parts and not one scene I could say is off the mark. The movie IS pretty graphic in its killing and threats of killing. This is mainly due to the demonic Ledger who delivers many of his lines with a very creepy and scary delivery that will undoubtedly be compared to Anthony Hopkins role as Hannibal Lector. He steals every single minute he is on screen without exception. It is that good IMO.

I read a great review that captures the movie well at http://www.techtree.com/India/News/The_D...1-547.html

The IMDB link for the movie is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

I would recommend EVERYONE go see this movie.
I'm just glad Katie Holmes isn't in this one.
I did not think Katie Holmes was that bad in Batman Returns but Maggie Gyllenhaal was excellent in this movie and has a pretty big role.
Cool, can't wait to see it ...
86 112
...Great review, Liquid...Everyone around me that has seen it is saying the same thing...
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Duchess Wrote:...Great review, Liquid...Everyone around me that has seen it is saying the same thing...
Thanks. I think we are going to see it again with a different group of people. I can not remember the last movie I actually went to see 2 times at the theater.

Also it looks like all of the records are going down. Biggest opening in history. From USA Today an hour ago - http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news...fice_N.htm

I think much of the hype of it being Heath Ledger's last role had something to do with it. Sounds like a great movie though.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Maggot Wrote:I think much of the hype of it being Heath Ledger's last role had something to do with it. Sounds like a great movie though.
i would say that if he was alive still he would still be getting the same praise. There was huge buzz about his performance when they were originally shooting the movie.
I just read that this film has passed the half a billion dollar mark...It did it in half the time that it took Titanic which is the only movie to make more {so far}.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
yea, pretty incredible sales numbers. I don't think it will catch Titanic though.
Tonight I am watching The Dark Knight on DVD. It came out this week. I have to say again how great this movie is. It is even better the second time I am seeing it then the first time when I originally started this thread.

The acting is really amazing and the action is way way above average.

Worth watching again.
This was the best movie I saw all year, but I saw it on IMAX so it made it that much better.

wanna see a magic trick???
Momster Wrote:wanna see a magic trick???
lol my wife jumped when he made that pencil disappear!
Liquid Wrote:Tonight I am watching The Dark Knight on DVD. It came out this week. I have to say again how great this movie is. It is even better the second time I am seeing it then the first time when I originally started this thread.

The acting is really amazing and the action is way way above average.

Worth watching again.

*******WARNING SPOILER ALERT*******************

My girlfriend bought me the DVD on Monday.

I appreciate it more now that I have seen it again, when I went to see it at the cinema I think my expectations were a little too high.

Its a great film, Heath Ledger as the grungy psychotic Joker is fucking brilliant, as for a follow up?, well it should be interesting, Christopher Nolan has confirmed that as far as he is concerned Two Face is dead, and could another actor take on the mantle of Heath Ledgers Joker?

What villains could they reinvent?, Catwoman has got to be a favourite, you could easily update her for a modern audience and Batman/Bruce Wayne needs a love interest now that Rachel is dead. The Penguin?, perhaps a little harder to repackage realistically, the Riddler could be quite easily repackaged in a more hyper real way.

Robin?, not too sure about him, I think this interpretation of Batman works better as a lone vigilante.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I HOPE that they never go down the Robin road with this current set of Batman movies. I saw an interview where Nolan said that nothing (no story line) has really got his juices flowing yet for a third installment in his group of Batman movies. I hope he takes as long as he needs to come up with something at least on par with The Black Knight.
Are you kidding!? I'd love to see Robin. If well done, it could be awesome.
86 112
that is what I am worried about. the "if well done" part, lol
Middle Finger Wrote:Are you kidding!? I'd love to see Robin. If well done, it could be awesome.

Hmmmmmm...........Robin can be truly nauseating if done wrongly, see the piece of shit that was Batman Forever ::bs::.

Orginally they were going to re-do Robin as a mechanic/engineer/designer who worked behind the scenes with Batman developing weapons/equipment etc but Lucius Fox fills that role in the current franchise.

I for one would prefer the Batman to be a lone dark knight. Robin is fine in the comic book but I don't think he could be effectively re-imagined as part of the current franchise. I suppose they could go down the route of Frank Millers Dark knight returns and make Robin a girl.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
we LOVED this movie. We saw it on the Friday it opened, we only went because our son wanted to see it so bad. We thought we were going to be disappointed and thought it was just review so well because of Heath Ledger. He really did a wonderful job in the movie though. My husband ended up taking the boy to see it again, and they were at the store bright and early Tuesday buying the dvd (in the special box).
Ordinary Peephole Wrote:
Middle Finger Wrote:Are you kidding!? I'd love to see Robin. If well done, it could be awesome.

Hmmmmmm...........Robin can be truly nauseating if done wrongly, see the piece of shit that was Batman Forever ::bs::.

Orginally they were going to re-do Robin as a mechanic/engineer/designer who worked behind the scenes with Batman developing weapons/equipment etc but Lucius Fox fills that role in the current franchise.

I for one would prefer the Batman to be a lone dark knight. Robin is fine in the comic book but I don't think he could be effectively re-imagined as part of the current franchise. I suppose they could go down the route of Frank Millers Dark knight returns and make Robin a girl.
I agree about the Lucius Fox character and Morgan Freeman playing him. He has been an excellent addition to the story line