Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ARE THEY OR AREN'T THEY?

I get to see the Amish up close, I go to their market, their tack shops & to their farms. They shun modern conveniences & believe in turning the other cheek.They have a "class" system similiar to ours, it's obvious by their farms & carriages which families have more money. Their religion dictates how they live & having a telephone in their home would be blasphemy in a sense.....it's in a little shed, sometimes in the middle of a cow field, hahaha. Are they hypocrites?
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
i don't know the Amish very well at all. but i would say that if they have a phone located where it's simply there for emergencies, they're not hypocritical. it's not in the house for constant use. i think after those little Amish girls were murdered at school, they may have decided a phone was a necessity.

After those children were murdered the Amish community went to the shooters wife & daughters and said they had forgiven him, they bore no ill will & then the school house was leveled.

I feel the same way about the phone as you, LC but, it's hysterical to drive through the Amish "hood" and see the little outhouse sized buildings in ridiculous places, the field, the garden, behind the barn, etc. and we know damn well it's their telephone.
my brother's neighbors in Maryland are Amish, it's nice to see the horse- drawn buggies in these modern times...charming.

[Image: amish217802783_1a227857fe.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I go to amish country all the time; they are a dirty people. I would not buy food from them.
I think there are probably hypocrites just like people who profess to be "Christians" don't necessarily practice all the tenets of Christianity (or insert Jews or Muslims). I'm sure there are devout Amish and I'm sure there are those that just espout the religion but don't really apply it to their daily life (and I'm equally sure there are fanatics who believe their way is THE RIGHT AND ONLY way). What I'm trying to say is, I think there are hypocrites/fanatics in all walks of life.
Commando Cunt Queen
Ok, this is a good one. One of our insureds was driving in Amish country and the sun got in her eyes. She couldn't see and hit a buggy full of Amish people. A mother and 5 kids. Minor injuries. The horse was also injured. They are now treating with a chiro/massage therapist/holistic type provider. Not licensed in PA. She is also treating the horse.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies

There are "shrinks" for horses too. Ridiculous, I know but, some owners have more money than brains. 78
These Amish people have no money. We are paying for thier treatment. Which we should. However, their "provider" is not licensed to practice spelling much less chiro/MT/holistic medicine. And she is treating an animal. Would you want to be treated by the same provider as your horse? And I don't mean the cute vet that comes to see your horses Duchess. hehehehee
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Insurance is for the purpose of paying the fucking bill, not deciding what's right or wrong with the person who the injured hire to do the treatment. I fucking hate insurance company bullshit when it comes to paying the bills.

The Amish have it right, they are prepared already to live without most modern conveniences, it's everyone else who will be screwed when all this modern shit goes away. and it will eventually go away.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

I hate the effin insurance companies as well! I had the same insurance company for my villa, for well over 25 years, and never had a claim.

Well 4 months ago, a water pipe broke in the villa, and did some damage. ($3,300) So I put in a claim. Just last month, the insurance renewal came due, and low & behold, the new premium skyrocketed an additional $678!!! Those SOB's are looking to recoup their intial (loan, cause that's what it seems it was) outlay within the next few years.

So, I went and got another company. And as it turned out, the new company was less then the pre skyrocketed premium of the last company! So the old company actually did me a favor in the long run!
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Signs_173 they went out to make a phone call...

MAYFIELD, Ky. -- By the time Emanuel Wagler reached the creek with his wife and seven children in their horse and buggy, it was too dark, too deep and too late.

As Amish who eschew electricity, they might not have known that the weather service had issued a flash flood warning an hour before. But they knew it was raining hard, and Wagler's brother figured the tiny creek they had to cross would already be up to the buggy's axle.

When Wagler got there -- halfway home, a mile to go -- the creek was more like a fast-moving river. In moments, the buggy tipped over, tossing four children into the water. Then the search began.

Soon after midnight, so did the grief.

Rescuers had pulled out the bodies of three of his children. By morning, they found the body of his niece.

"We're trying to give the family some time by themselves right now to grieve," Graves County Sheriff Dewayne Redmon said. "There's no doubt that this was just a terrible accident."

The night began with a short trip to Wagler's brother's house. His family climbed aboard the horse and buggy -- a common sight on the narrow paved roads in Dublin, in western Kentucky.

Emanuel and his brother, Samuel, traveled to a push-button phone, stashed inside a little wooden shack along the road a short distance away. A stool sits just inside.

The Amish use the phone for business and to call relatives. The brothers called their father in Missouri.

"That's the main reason they came out, to call my dad," said Samuel Wagler, 37, who recounted the evening.

Later, the families ate supper. By Thursday evening, Samuel figured the tiny creek his brother had to cross had risen to about the buggy's axles.

Emanuel, his wife and seven children -- one of them Samuel's 11-year-old daughter Elizabeth -- were on their way back around 8:30 p.m., an hour after the National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning.

It was unclear how news of the accident spread.

The Amish live among non-Amish in this farming community of rolling green hills near the Missouri, Tennessee and Illinois border. By Thursday evening, some 250 emergency workers were helping in the search.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

All religions are overflowing with rank hypocrisy with the possible exception of some older far Eastern traditions such as the Tao and Buddhism and even in these there are inconsistencies and contradictions.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(02-26-2011, 01:34 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: All religions are overflowing with rank hypocrisy with the possible exception of some older far Eastern traditions such as the Tao and Buddhism and even in these there are inconsistencies and contradictions.

Jainism ~ The True Religion.

hahaha
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
(02-26-2011, 01:53 PM)Cracker Wrote: e "Jainism ~ The True Religion.

hahaha

Jainists are good people, they don't blow themselves up like retards or kill abortion doctors while claiming to be pro-life.

We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I'm trying to be Buddhist if I can learn to be nice. Taoism doesn't bother, me, either. Hinduism is too clique-ey with the castes. I reject Christianity as plagiarism. Muslims are just fucking crazy. Ye Olde Religions got too douchey unless Harry Potter is involved. hahaha

Everything else is a mix of made up shit. Except the ancient Egyptian religions, but they are mildly scientific, so they don't annoy me.

I always forget to be devout, so religions don't work well for me.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
At least the ancient Egyptians actually used real things like the movement of constellations across the sky, and the movement of the sun and moon throughout the year and the changing of the seasons as a basis for their faith rather than usual, "and so the magic bloke in the sky did create everything and theres a talking snake and heres a talking bush, amen".
In all fairness, the Amish allow Rumspringa.

Beats the hell out of any conventional religion's Youth Group activity.
(02-26-2011, 01:53 PM)Cracker Wrote:
(02-26-2011, 01:34 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: All religions are overflowing with rank hypocrisy with the possible exception of some older far Eastern traditions such as the Tao and Buddhism and even in these there are inconsistencies and contradictions.

Jainism ~ The True Religion.

hahaha

Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.Smiley_emoticons_wink

(11-17-2010, 09:40 AM)IMaDick Wrote: Insurance is for the purpose of paying the fucking bill, not deciding what's right or wrong with the person who the injured hire to do the treatment. I fucking hate insurance company bullshit when it comes to paying the bills.

The Amish have it right, they are prepared already to live without most modern conveniences, it's everyone else who will be screwed when all this modern shit goes away. and it will eventually go away.

I have often watched the Amish, with their basic needs met from the land and what they make or grow and felt they must laugh at us with all of our debt and materialistic "wants" Smiley_emoticons_smile

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.Smiley_emoticons_wink