Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Australian Chefs
That seems like an oxymoron to me. I could name many distinctly French dishes. We all could name our favorite Italian meals. I love me some German food and Thai and Russian and Chinese, etc. Most countries have their own bill of fare as far as ethnic cuisine.

I noticed we have a recent influx of Australians (Hullo AUSSIES! WELCOME!), but what the fuck do you people eat? I can't think of one Australian delicacy. Not a fucking one. Do you people eat the pocketed animals? Put kiwi fruits on everything? What? What the hell do you eat? Are you like Scottish chefs and stuff shit into ripped out animal stomachs and call it a day?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.

Many dishes we consider “indigenous” to certain countries are a fusion of local ingredients influenced by cultures invading, trading or immigrating.

Australia is no different. Book a trip. You won’t be disappointed.
this may be of interest~~
it has a number of categories.

click:
http://www.australiancooking.net/

[Image: thDance-3.gif] 109 koalas

(12-04-2010, 03:06 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: click:
http://www.australiancooking.net/

This sounds good:
Beef & Corn Casserole Ingredients:

•1kg chuck steak.
•2 tbsp olive oil.
•400gm corn kernels.
•2 onions, sliced.
•1 tbsp flour.
•1 tbsp tomato paste.
•2 tsp chilli powder.
•2 cups stock.
•1 bay leaf.
•salt and pepper.
•3 - 4 tomatoes, ripe.
•parsely, chopped.

Steps:

1.Dice the beef and brown quickly in hot oil in a casserole.
2.Drain the corn and set aside.
3.Remove the beef to a plate and lower the heat.
4.Add the onions to the pan and cook until browned.
5.Sprinkle with flour, stir well, then add the tomato paste, stock, bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
6.Replace the beef and cook gently for about 1 14 hours.
7.Chop the tomatoes and add to the beef with the corn.
8.Continue to cook until the beef is very tender.
9.Before serving, remove the bay leaf, season to taste, and garnish with the chopped parsley.
10.Serve with corn chips.

But I swear it sounds like chili with corn in it.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
I will be asleep when the Aussies hit the board. If they have any question as to true American cuisine, I will remind them I live in the land of pulled pork BBQ with lovely sauces that range from tomato based to tangy white Alabama sauce and hot yellow Carolina mustard sauce. BBQ is my second love. Not that Texas shit, but real Southern, hickory smoked meats with sauce on the side. I'm sure LC can clue us in on New England fare. The West, especially the Native component, has some good eats, too. We can claim Mexican food. I think we ran them out of here a few hundred years ago. hahahaha (OK, slightly ashamed.)
(12-04-2010, 02:52 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: Australia is no different. Book a trip. You won’t be disappointed.

Maybe someday. I promised myself no more overseas travel until I see my entire country. I have covered the west, southwest, northwest, south, and up to Chicago. I have never seen Alaska, Mr. Rushmore or the Crazy Horse monument, the Statue of Liberty, or Plymouth. I want to see those first.
Cracker: I'm sure LC can clue us in on New England fare.

with a southern US mother and Italian father, i was fortunate growing up to have wonderful food from both regions. my father was world-traveled and gave us an appreciation of many European cuisines.
i am a Yankee now, true, and do like New England traditional fare, from Durgin Park Indian pudding to a boiled dinner and of course fabulous fresh seafood.
get into Boston and find anything, the Italian North End is a paradise of imported cheeses, lunchmeats and OH the bakeries!

Corn chips are Australian?

That recipe might just be dinner tomorrow night. Num, sprinkle the corn chips on top and serve it with a salad.

Fuck yeah!

If it's not obvious, I'm hungry.
Commando Cunt Queen
I like to leave the bay leaf, kinda like a cracker jack surprize. Anyone ever nibble on teaberry leaves?
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I love nachos! Sometimes I just want to eat it all the time.

However, meat pies are very australian. there are all kinds here, like steak and mushroom, pie with peas, shepherds pie, there are even, famous pie shops.
Burger King is called 'Hungry Jacks' here in Australia. Their slogan is, "the burgers are better at Hungry Jacks" refering to obvious difference between them and maccas.
What the hell is a Vegemite Sandwich...That's what I want to know.
Someone told me years ago and all I remember is it sounded gross.
If you stuff a bandicoot inside a koala inside a kangaroo, is that like an Australian turducken?
(12-06-2010, 06:53 PM)Cracker Wrote: If you stuff a bandicoot inside a koala inside a kangaroo, is that like an Australian turducken?

hah Dinky di, perfect!
There is no Australian Cuisine per se, although many overpriced city restaurants will claim to have Modern Australian Cuisine. Mostly this is a tagline that should read 'We had no fucking idea whether to be Italian, Thai, Greek or Indian so we blended the fucking lot'...

We are a young country; we only stole the place a little over 200 years ago. In that time, cuisine has evolved from the boring British shit that landed here with us to foods that are heavily influenced by local produce and our neighbours.

Sure we have Vegemite and Lamingtons, Peach Melba and Pavlova... but you'll struggle to find them on a menu and they are far from haute cuisine

In a way, the US is the same.. Hotdogs and Hamburgers - German, Cajun food - South American and Caribbean, you've already mentioned the Mexican influence and hate to burst your bubble, but the Chinese were doing pork on a BBQ centuries before Columbus sailed a boat...

Food is evolution. Yeah, the French have Coq au Vin, and the Italians Spaghetti alla Puttanesca, but they are dishes, not a cuisine culture. The culture here in Australia is moving towards ultra-fresh, no fuss, no pretentiousness.

The most exciting new and successful Australian Chefs are playing with new techniques to get food from producer to plate in the shortest amount of time, with the least amount of stress and maximum amount of flavour.

When people say {insert country here} Chefs these days, I think the shift is more towards geography than style. When you look at the cuisine being prepared by Ferran Adrià, Heston Blumenthal, Tetsuya Wakuda et al, it is heavily influenced by many different cultures and cuisines; it's not distinctively Spanish, English or Japanese
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
that was an excellent and informative post Crash~~
one of our new members is an Aussie chef. i hope you'll meet soon. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Attached Files
.png   good post.png (Size: 1.85 KB / Downloads: 73)

(12-06-2010, 09:44 PM)Lady Cop Wrote: that was an excellent and informative post Crash~~
one of our new members is an Aussie chef. i hope you'll meet soon. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Jesus LC...pull yourself out of Crash's ass and get some air.
Commando Cunt Queen
(12-06-2010, 09:29 PM)crash Wrote: The most exciting new and successful Australian Chefs are playing with new techniques to get food from producer to plate in the shortest amount of time, with the least amount of stress and maximum amount of flavour.

So they decided to use a car to drive to the market? That IS innovative. hahaha I haven't been to Australia, so you'll have to explain this to me a little better. Are the agricultural areas located far from the populated areas? Do Australians ship in a lot of their food from other countries? I never thought of Australia as a big island, so I assumed you grew much of what you consumed.

I think Southern pit BBQ is more influenced by Native American culture than Chinese (but if you wanted to get technical, you could refer to Native Americans as part of the Asian haplogroup). If you really want to get technical, all cuisines descended from our ancestors and their homelands (so I guess we all cook variations of African cuisine handed down from our genetic Eve). And you have to blame the Germans for hot dogs (sausages and frankfurters). We'll take hamburgers (again, seeing the German influence) because I love a good, fresh bacon cheeseburger on a nice roll with homegrown tomato and mustard. Mmm.

People have gotten away from eating fresh foods. We eat too much processed crap. I try to shop around the perimeter of my local grocery store and stay away from all the poison in the middle.

Great post, crash. I was trying to tease the new Aussie chefs, but they can't seem to find this thread. I guess that's what keeps y'all from invading the world.
People who think this much about food are probably fat. j/s.
Commando Cunt Queen
See, I knew everybody thought I was a fatass.