Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The arrogance of science?
I hear this quite a lot "who do these scientists think they are?, they are so arrogant they think know everything and can do everything". There seems to be a growing backlash against academia and scientific knowledge in general especially it seems from religious people.

All science begins any investigation with the position of "we don't know" that is the starting point for any scientific theory "we don't know", only through experimentation, tests and study is a conclusion reached and even that conclusion is suffixed with the clause "this is what we know now, the actuality may be found to be different after more advanced future study".

Religion begins any investigation with "we know everything, it's all in this book".

A scientist likes nothing better than to proved wrong about something, if they come up with a theory that someone else disproves they pat that person on the back "well done good work".

Religious people like nothing worse than to be proved wrong "to suggest an old age pensioner built a boat big enough to house two of every species on earth is quite frankly ridiculous!" they react with rage and anger.

Now you tell me who is more arrogant?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(04-16-2011, 02:56 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: Now you tell me who is more arrogant?

The Jesus freaks, for sure.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Hypothesis -V- evidence -V- experiance.

See ya in the funny papers OP.

Any scientific experiment starts with the question "what do we want to prove" and then science sets about trying to prove that idea, manipulation of facts and data can and does prove out just about anything that the scientist wants to prove.

Today's medicines and the numerous lawsuits prove my point beyond argument.

as for religion or the lack thereof, any time faith or no faith leave the personal realm it becomes arrogant.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

aww fuck
Dick he don't trust the scientists and their "learnin books".

Please point out the part where I said science is perfect?, oh that's right I DIDN'T silly me! The pharmaceuticals companies are corporations dick and whats the most important thing to corporations dick?, enlightenment?, no, healing people?, no, making life more comfortable for people?, no......PROFITS dick, PROFITS, science and capitalism a match made in hell perhaps, but personally I prefer science to "god did it, its in this book".

When dick gets sick he goes to his pastor for deliverance, or if he does go to a doctor god works through the hands of the doctor.

Smiley_emoticons_wink
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(04-16-2011, 03:02 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Any scientific experiment starts with the question "what do we want to prove"

And so dear brethren we consign science to the gamut of subjects that dick knows nothing about yet still has an opinion on.

Amen.

Amen
Phamacuticals are full of scientists proving what?

anything they want to prove.

should that be considered "arrogant" only when faced with the reality and the deaths which occur from their "arrogance".

Imitrex killed my wife, being a Christian didn't do that, in fact she would not have died from her faith.

arrogance based on your criteria definitely falls to the side of science.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(04-16-2011, 03:14 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 03:02 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Any scientific experiment starts with the question "what do we want to prove"

And so dear brethren we consign science to the gamut of subjects that dick knows nothing about yet still has an opinion on.

Amen.

Once again you find yourself drawing conclusions without enough information to do so.

John Adams

(04-16-2011, 03:19 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Once again you find yourself drawing conclusions without enough information to do so.

Saying that science starts from a position of "what do we want to prove?"

Is all the information I need dick to conclude:-

You're an idiot.
(04-16-2011, 03:25 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote:
(04-16-2011, 03:19 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Once again you find yourself drawing conclusions without enough information to do so.

Saying that science starts from a position of "what do we want to prove?"

Is all the information I need dick to conclude:-

You're an idiot.

I knew you would end up here, it was the only place left.

Hypothesis - 1. a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
2. a proposition assumed as a premise in an argument.
3. the antecedent of a conditional proposition.
4. a mere assumption or guess.

Just in case you remain slow and full of shit, let me give you a condensed version of that definition.

Quote: what do we want to prove?"

John Adams

"Provisional conjecture to guide investigation" does not translate as "what do we want to prove".

YOU MORON.

You obviously blame science and scientists for killing your first wife which is as logical as me blaming the Wright brothers if my wife died in a plane crash.
(04-16-2011, 03:50 PM)Ordinary Peephole Wrote: "Provisional conjecture to guide investigation" does not translate as "what do we want to prove".

Don't stop short OP, tell me what Provisional conjecture means.

John Adams

There! Right there! You're doing it right now.

Fuck, I'm glad I didn't have to go far to find an example for your sorry ass. Like I want to waste my precious online time proving my point to you.
(04-16-2011, 03:55 PM)Duchess Wrote:

There! Right there! You're doing it right now.

Fuck, I'm glad I didn't have to go far to find an example for your sorry ass. Like I want to waste my precious online time proving my point to you.

all I did was ask OP, to complete his charge, he claimed a certian thing in his post and then called me a moron and then stopped.

He needs to define provisional conjecture as a scientific term.

if it is different than what I claimed.

a question asked by the scientists " what do we want to prove" if my claim does not fit with the term, then show me?

I did not change the discussion, it's still about the same thing.

besides I picked the other thread.Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

John Adams

(04-16-2011, 04:02 PM)IMaDick Wrote: besides I picked the other thread.Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

hah

(04-16-2011, 03:53 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Don't stop short OP, tell me what Provisional conjecture means.

Scientists may use the conjecture on a provisional basis but any resulting work is itself provisional until the underlying conjecture is cleared up.

I feel like I'm trying to explain science to a comedy badger in a silly hat.
(04-16-2011, 03:02 PM)IMaDick Wrote: Hypothesis -V- evidence -V- experiance.

See ya in the funny papers OP.

Any scientific experiment starts with the question "what do we want to prove" and then science sets about trying to prove that idea, manipulation of facts and data can and does prove out just about anything that the scientist wants to prove.

Today's medicines and the numerous lawsuits prove my point beyond argument.

as for religion or the lack thereof, any time faith or no faith leave the personal realm it becomes arrogant.

^^This

It's also a huge mistake to think that anyone who thinks "science" is arrogant bases that opinion on some religious bullshit. Science is arrogant because it has ZERO morals, respect for life, respect for Nature, and is highly corrupted.

We can thank science for splitting the atom and unleashing untold horrors upon the world. We can thank science for HAARP and the maniacs manipulating the ionosphere for evil purposes. We can thank science for torturing animals in the pursuit of profit and curiosity. We can thank science for abominations like cloning and gene splicing. We can thank them for deadly pharmaceuticals, toxic vaccines, GM frankenfoods, terminator seeds and all of the other goddamned "miracles" of better living through chemistry that are killing us and our planet.

Science is the occult alchemy of the modern world. Yeah, some good things come about, but science and technology are a double edged sword with no concern of harm done or pain caused.

That sociopathic little fucker in the neighborhood who likes to pull the legs off frogs, or torture cats, or blow shit up - he'll be a scientist one day, living off of research welfare, better known as grants of taxpayer money. I have demonstrated against these fuckers at facilities that torture animals. The cowards HID and peeked out from behind the blinds of locked buildings - building where animals were enduring living nightmares to end in being "sacrificed" (yes, that's the word used by science when a SENTIENT being is killed when it is no longer of use). Coincidence that SACRIFICE originated with RELIGIOUS practices. The high priests of science are no different than the superstitious magicians of old and they are worshiped in the same way. Their gospel is scared for their true believers who never question anything they do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8w3Y-dskeg
I had … two male chimps … they lived next door to each other in separate cages … before I used one as a [heart] donor. When we put him to sleep in his cage in preparation for the operation, he chattered and cried incessantly … when we removed the body to the operating room, the other chimp wept bitterly and was inconsolable for days. The incident made a deep impression on me. I vowed never again to experiment with such sensitive creatures.

Read more: http://www.releasechimps.org/harm-suffer...z1JirmqZsc