Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Are flash mobs a hate crime? Maggot's thread
i give him credit for speaking the damn truth. 44

PHILADELPHIA — Mayor Michael A. Nutter, telling marauding black youths “you have damaged your own race,” imposed a tougher curfew Monday in response to the latest “flash mob” — spontaneous groups of teens who attack people at random on the streets of the city’s tourist and fashionable shopping districts.

“Take those God-darn hoodies down, especially in the summer,” Mr. Nutter, the city’s third black mayor, said in an angry lecture aimed at black teens. “Pull your pants up and buy a belt ‘cause no one wants to see your underwear or the crack of your butt.”

“If you walk into somebody’s office with your hair uncombed and a pick in the back, and your shoes untied, and your pants half down, tattoos up and down your arms and on your neck, and you wonder why somebody won’t hire you? They don’t hire you ‘cause you look like you’re crazy,” the mayor said. “You have damaged your own race.”

Mr. Nutter announced that he was beefing up police patrols in certain neighborhoods, enlisting volunteers to monitor the streets and moving up the weekend curfew for minors to 9 p.m.

Parents will face increased fines for each time their child is caught violating the curfew.

The head of Philadelphia’s chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, J. Whyatt Mondesire, said it “took courage” for Mr. Nutter to deliver the message.

“These are majority African-American youths and they need to be called on it,” Mr. Mondesire said.

Mary Catherine Roper, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said her group sees the curfew move as legal with its sole caveat being that it not evolve “into an excuse to hassle” any youths on the street.

The state ACLU filed a federal lawsuit last year challenging Philadelphia police’s use of “stop and frisk” searches. A settlement announced in June allowed the program to continue, along with safeguards to prevent the use of racial profiling.

In the past two years, the City of Brotherly Love has been the scene of several flash mobs in which youths meet at planned locations by texting one another and then commit assorted mayhem.

In one episode, teens knocked down passers-by on a Center City street and entered an upscale department store where they assaulted shoppers. On another occasion, hundreds of teens gathered in a restaurant district and menaced patrons, forcing some restaurant owners to lock customers inside temporarily for their own protection or to close early.

In the latest event July 29, about 20 to 30 youths descended on Center City after dark, then punched, beat and robbed bystanders. One man was kicked so savagely that he was hospitalized with a fractured skull. Police arrested four people, including an 11-year-old.

Other cities have grappled with the problem of destructive flash mobs. In Chicago on Memorial Day weekend, roving teens flashed gang signs, knocked cyclists off their bikes and harassed picnickers. Police closed a popular beach as the violence escalated.

In January, dozens of young people stormed a popular Milwaukee mall late in the afternoon and scared customers and store employees.

In the District of Columbia, about 20 teenagers entered the G-Star Raw store on Connecticut Avenue at Dupont Circle in April and stole about $20,000 worth of merchandise before fleeing.

Mayor Nutter
[Image: 20110808-210609-pic-569356413_s160x240.j...9ebe630039]

[Image: flashmob_s640x427.jpg?73b8e21685896c3f28...253919b641]

Does Philly have a coon and squirrel season?

If so, is it before or after deer and elk?
sorry this is lengthy, an editorial in Phila. Inquirer. what is really interesting is some of the comments by the citizens.

link to the article
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/...?viewAll=y

By Annette John-Hall
Inquirer Columnist
Once again, Michael Nutter is not messin' around.

You know he's not playing when he pulls out the black vernacular.

And there was a whole lot of it during his 30-minute rant - I mean, sermon - from behind the pulpit to a packed congregation Sunday at Mount Carmel Baptist Church in West Philadelphia.

Disgusted by the mobs of African American youths who have been terrorizing folks in City Center lately, he gave the black community a good old-fashioned whipping.

I could almost hear my grandmother say, "Get me a switch!"

He chastised black fathers for being nothing more than "sperm donors." He called out "doggone" hoodie-wearing teens who'd never get jobs with their underwear or the "crack of your butt" showing. And he came down on neglectful parents who "need to get a hold of your kids before we have to."

It was like he channeled his best Bill Cosby, which he pulls out when he feels he needs to.

And the mayor wasn't finished. At a City Hall news conference Monday, he told a small group of reporters, "I don't care what your economic status is in life, you do not have a right to beat someone's ass on the street."

We can deal with the public tongue-lashing, even if his intended targets were nowhere to be found among the law-abiding churchgoers in their Sunday best. But what really bothered me was when Nutter fired the age-old salvo that has historically evoked head-hanging shame among black folks:

"You've damaged yourself," the mayor accused. "You've damaged your peers, and, quite honestly, you've damaged your own race."

There, he said it.

In a way that his white constituents would hear him loud and clear. At that point, he wasn't talking to black people anymore.

Credit to your race
Nutter expressed in no uncertain terms the sentiment that so often shackles black people - that the unlawful actions of a few smear everyone else. Something whites never have to fear.

Just as they never have to live up to the expectation of being a credit to their race. Whatever that means.

Don't get me wrong. Nutter deserves credit for taking a strong stand against a troubling brand of violence that first erupted last summer, when groups of black youths randomly attacked and robbed pedestrians downtown.

You'd better believe I felt comforted seeing all of those police officers on foot patrol in Center City last weekend, where I was attending a convention. They made me feel safe.

Too bad folks in less upscale neighborhoods can't say the same.

See, we all know that once violence crosses over into the usually peaceful oasis of Center City, the mayor has to respond with a full-scale assault. After all, we're talking violence threatening tourism, business, the arts, the very heart of the city's livelihood.

But when the shooting of two black rowhouse residents in Port Richmond over the weekend - one was seven months pregnant - barely elicits attention, you have to wonder.

On Monday, Nutter announced a holistic approach to mob violence - increasing police presence, implementing earlier curfews in Center City and University City, expanding weekend hours at rec centers, and being tough on perpetrators who District Attorney Seth Williams said would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Nutter got the message out via urban radio.

I'm guessing that might be more effective than admonishing a bunch of thugs for damaging their race. As if they care.

He also urged parents to get involved in the lives of their children, saying, "This is not a police problem. This is a challenge to all of us in the community."

Now that sounds less like the blame-game politician playing to the cameras and more like the Michael Nutter who grew up at 55th and Larchwood.

You know, the one who's always been a credit to his community.

Yeah . . . being a thug is a credit to your race. hah

And the shooter of the two . . . didn't catch the race of the alleged shooter(s).

Musta been white.
Across the U.S., mobs of black youths are organizing on Facebook to loot stores and beat whites. Yet none dare call the "flash mob" attacks hate crime, least of all the attorney general.

The Associated Press is reporting that at least one of those arrested in the Wisconsin State Fair beatings said the mob was targeting whites, making it a hate crime. Where is Eric Holder's civil rights division? About this epidemic of black-on-white assaults, we hear nothing............
More
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
In my opinion they are.

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

hah

I'm so not 'hip'.

I thought a flash mob was a bunch of guys in trench coats!
(08-14-2011, 12:37 PM)BlueTiki Wrote: hah

I'm so not 'hip'.

I thought a flash mob was a bunch of guys in trench coats!

Or a bus load of Japanese tourist driving past Mt. Rushmore. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Will you get serious Tiki-Tacky, Geez! Offtopic

hah
If the situation were reversed, it would be the crime of the century. So why not now?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Another case of "reverse discrimination". If it were white boys attacking black people it would be called a hate crime. How can they justify the double standard?
Chuck Manson may have been ahead of his time.
watch the video... it's Maryland! i'm glad they weren't violent. this time. i'm not going to be shocked when the (K)nightriders come back. [Image: kkk.gif]

[Image: article-2026302-0D711E9F00000578-688_468x286.jpg]

A breathtaking video which shows around 30 people entering a 7-Eleven store and stealing countless items from the shelves is being seen as evidence that flash mob attacks are beginning to spread the country.

At just before 2am on Saturday, a large group entered the shop in Germantown, Maryland, rifled through crisps, drinks and ice creams on sale and then left without paying.
It appears to be a flash mob attack, similar to the ones which caused chaos at the Wisconsin State Fair, and forced the Mayor of Philadelphia to issue a curfew for under 18s in his city.

The owner of the 7-Eleven in Maryland provided the surveillance video to NBC Washington but did not want the specific location of the store to be identified.

When asked if what happened was a flash mob, the owner's son, Mohammad Jebanzeb, said: 'That's what it looks like from the video.

'You can see about 25 to 35 people entered the store all at once. They grabbed everything they could grab and ran out of the store - it looked like it was pretty organized.'

Well they were certianly neat about it, they didn't destroy the place, and one of the girls actually picked up a couple bags of chips that were knocked down and put them back on the shelf.

The cops said that wouldn't be able to identify these people from the video? holy crap some of them mugged for the camera.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

(08-15-2011, 03:02 PM)IMaDick Wrote: The cops said that wouldn't be able to identify these people from the video? holy crap some of them mugged for the camera.

Yeah but "they" all look the same.

Irony translation for idiots - I personally don't think all black people look alike but people like cracker do.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(08-15-2011, 03:13 PM)White Pud Wrote: I personally don't think all black people look alike but people like cracker do.

I think they all look alike unless I speak to them. Same goes for Asians & Mexicans & the Amish.

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
That looting flash mob was very lucky that the "owner" of the store, was rational. And did not turn out to be a zealous gun owner who could have very well opened fire on them!

(Strange the LEO's didn't get there till it was all over)
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Don't worry, they will "do" the wrong store and will get the message. This will not go down well, fucking idiots.

And yes it is a hate crime.
This is a crime against civilization itself.

Mob action in the heat of the moment is an understandable crime even though it must be strongly sanctioned or people won't think for themselves. There is absolutely no punishment too severe for those who would perpetrate such mob action in advance using the very tools of civilization. Put a few in prison for the duration. Shoot a few and this crap will stop now. Otherwise watch for it to grow.
i merged two threads and messed it up somehow, this was Maggot's thread, not mine. sorry Maggot! 22 50 i can't change the thread-starter name.

dork-----> lady_cop

Obama is that you?

[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]