Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WINDOWS 7
I get Windows 7 free when it comes out in a few days...Is this something to be excited about ?...And should I have any concerns about downloading it into my laptop ?...I'm paranoid of everything since my last laptop fucked up after only having it several months.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Duchess Wrote:I get Windows 7 free when it comes out in a few days...Is this something to be excited about ?...And should I have any concerns about downloading it into my laptop ?...I'm paranoid of everything since my last laptop fucked up after only having it several months.
From what I've heard and read, Windows 7 is going to be much better than Vista, but I wouldn't rush out and put it on your laptop yet. Give a while to circulate and stabilize, get whatever bugs worked out that will appear in any new release the first few months (I usually give it a year, but at least a few months). I still haven't 'upgraded' to Vista. I think I'll just skip it.
I started using Firefox and I've had a lot less problems. Those Windows updates were fucking up all my laptops.
Windows 7 is not a "windows update" it is a new operating system altogether.

Duchess, it's up to you. If you still have tech support for your new laptop you have nothing to worry about.

Windows 7 has been in active testing for over a year now and everyone I know who was testing it liked it much better than Vista - which IMO is the absolute worst OS Microsoft has developed yet.

My mother just bought a new computer last month and will upgrade to W7 soon too. I think she's waiting for me to go over and supervise her doing it.
I know some guys that took a free Beta test version of W7. They gave it pretty good reviews, but only from a clean install. The upgrade trial they did wasn't as successful. In saying that, that's why they have Beta testing and those flaws may well have been ironed out
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
crash Wrote:I know some guys that took a free Beta test version of W7. They gave it pretty good reviews, but only from a clean install. The upgrade trial they did wasn't as successful. In saying that, that's why they have Beta testing and those flaws may well have been ironed out
yeah, I've read stuff about that as well.

Again, I would give it a little while before switching, but I think it will be the next 'decent' OS (well, from MS anyway).
The Antagonist Wrote:Windows 7 is not a "windows update" it is a new operating system altogether.
I didn't say it was a fucking update, I said windows updates were fucking up my computer.

Asshole.
I am replacing 2 hardrives this month and was wondering if I could get 2 for 1 if I used the same IP port. I'm cheap!Smiley_emoticons_razzBut I would rather take a chance on this than Vista. That has been jinxed from the get go..............
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
LuMPyPussy Wrote:
The Antagonist Wrote:Windows 7 is not a "windows update" it is a new operating system altogether.
I didn't say if was a fucking update, I said windows updates were fucking up my computer.

Asshole.
yeah, the updates have fucked up lots of computers.

here's how the updates work:

"Hey Bill, we found another bug in Windows"

- "Eh well, ok.. make an update to fix it!"

"But there's a bug in the update (dear liza dear liza)"

- "Well, put out another update to fix the bug in the update"

"Ok, but now there's still a bug in the new update"

so... they patch the patch, and keep patching until there are so many layers of patches it gets to be ridiculous, and then they come out with a 'major update' (like 3.0) which supposedly combines all of the important updates and guess what? It crashes the computer. gee. Thanks Bill! (for keeping me in business)
Maggot Wrote:I am replacing 2 hardrives this month and was wondering if I could get 2 for 1 if I used the same IP port. I'm cheap!Smiley_emoticons_razzBut I would rather take a chance on this than Vista. That has been jinxed from the get go..............
huh?
SyberBitch Wrote:
LuMPyPussy Wrote:
I didn't say if was a fucking update, I said windows updates were fucking up my computer.

Asshole.

so... they patch the patch, and keep patching until there are so many layers of patches it gets to be ridiculous, and then they come out with a 'major update' (like 3.0) which supposedly combines all of the important updates and guess what? It crashes the computer. gee. Thanks Bill! (for keeping me in business)
I've had three laptops crash. I was able to 'fix' two of them but the other one's going to need professional medical care. Too bad you're not closer.
LuMPyPussy Wrote:
SyberBitch Wrote:
LuMPyPussy Wrote:

Asshole.

I've had three laptops crash. I was able to 'fix' two of them but the other one's going to need professional medical care. Too bad you're not closer.
yep... I work cheap Smiley_emoticons_biggrin

Duchess Wrote:I get Windows 7 free when it comes out in a few days...Is this something to be excited about ?...And should I have any concerns about downloading it into my laptop ?...I'm paranoid of everything since my last laptop fucked up after only having it several months.
Well... just because I'm an ass I'm gonna nitpick here. Its "installing" not "downloading". Smiley_emoticons_smile

Your wrong choice of words aside, Syber gives good advice. By get it for free I'm assuming they are sending you a free copy with license for some reason? The license is good indefinitely, so hold off on installing it for at least 6 months for them to work the major bugs out in the initial release.

That aside, do a clean install with it. If you need someone to hold your hand through it I think we can work something out if you have a second computer we can communicate on while you work on this one. And yes, even with "upgrade" discs you can do a clean install as long as you have the original OS disc and it qualifies.

Another option if you don't have a local tech you trust and you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, you can always mail it with discs to me. Like Syber, I work pretty cheap for our field.
Maggot Wrote:I am replacing 2 hardrives this month and was wondering if I could get 2 for 1 if I used the same IP port. I'm cheap!Smiley_emoticons_razzBut I would rather take a chance on this than Vista. That has been jinxed from the get go..............
What the hell are you talking about Maggot? Hard drives, IP port? Umm... IP ports are software connection sockets for Internet Protocol communication and have nothing to do with hard drives. Were you high when you posted this?
LuMPyPussy Wrote:
SyberBitch Wrote:
LuMPyPussy Wrote:

Asshole.

Well, as I offered to Duchess you could always mail it to me. Or to Syber. Smiley_emoticons_wink Though I have no idea where you are lol. I've done 2 mail order jobs before, one for my former roommate's brother in law, and one for my friend Ash. Oregon and Maine respectively. And I live in Michigan. Hmm Smiley_emoticons_wink
D Wrote:
What the hell are you talking about Maggot? Hard drives, IP port? Umm... IP ports are software connection sockets for Internet Protocol communication and have nothing to do with hard drives. Were you high when you posted this?
When is Maggot NOT high? Smiley_emoticons_wink
D Wrote: Well, as I offered to Duchess you could always mail it to me. Or to Syber. Smiley_emoticons_wink Though I have no idea where you are lol. I've done 2 mail order jobs before, one for my former roommate's brother in law, and one for my friend Ash. Oregon and Maine respectively. And I live in Michigan. Hmm Smiley_emoticons_wink
I was going to suggest that, but with the shipping fees, I doubt either of us would be cheaper than someone local (unless you're cutting her one helluva deal).

I usually do a reformat/reinstall for $55 (there wouldn't be sales tax since you're out of state). I'm not sure what shipping would be, or how much D would charge.
the one I did in Oregon was a desktop, and to ship a loaded tower one way was $60. Shipping Ash's laptop from Maine was a lot cheaper since it fit in a USPS flat rate box, which at that time was only $8.95 each way Smiley_emoticons_wink

Of course, then you add insurance on it too...

And of course the tower was only so expensive to ship because it was so tricked out and full of extras... and he 2 dayed it. I mean c'mon, 4 hard drives, dual DVD-ROMs... it was a nice machine. Four years ago. Now its obsolete as can be lol.
OOPS, Forgot my fee, its actually $5 more than Syber's, so $60. Plus return shipping of course. Thats for a reinstall with you doing any major backup and reinstalling your own additional software such as MS Office, Photoshop, etc.. etc..

I do offer free installation of FireFox, Thunderbird, Spybot S&D with reinstallation. Plus I'll make sure its updated to the most current set of updates available unless I'm asked not to. Not everyone wants all the updates, for whatever reason. In part due to the issue Syber mentioned of how theres usually a NEW bug in the patches released by Micro$uck.
D Wrote:Well... just because I'm an ass I'm gonna nitpick here. Its "installing" not "downloading". Smiley_emoticons_smile

Nitpickin' motherfucker :;beat::

I'm getting it free because of when I bought my new laptop...My beautiful, expensive laptop stopped working and those bitches charged me 75.00 on one occasion to say he couldn't fix it so I took it to someone else who charged me 90.00 to say the same goddamn thing...The thing is, it worked just fine with broadband,but, wouldn't connect to dial up, they sold it outta their shop for me and I got a whopping 549.00...Oh, fuck, I'm sorry I'm even thinking about this right now...Grrrr...I need my own personal tech, someone I can grow old with.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]