Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Miss Marple/Agatha Christie
nobody is going to care about this except me and Cracker. hah

but i love Miss Marple and Poirot.

i never knew this story about Agatha Christie disappearing.
it was a mystery worthy of Agatha.
-------------------------------------------

A cigarette case presented by the world’s most famous crime novelist Agatha Christie to the saxophonist who found her after she disappeared in 1926 is expected to fetch £10,000 at auction.

The beautiful silver box was given to musician Bob Leeming as a thank you from the author after he spotted Agatha at a hotel in Yorkshire.

The woman famed for scribing gripping whodunits had left authorities scratching their heads about her whereabouts and efforts to find her involved a reported 500 officers, tracker dogs, dredging water courses and even an aeroplane.

In the end she was discovered holed up at the Swan Hydropathic Hotel in Yorkshire on December 14.

Leeming’s sighting brought to an end 11 days of frantic searching for the troubled writer who had vanished from her sprawling Devon home on December 3.

The King George V case is inscribed with the words: 'With our best wishes, Col. & Mrs Christie' and has been passed on through several generations of the Leeming family.

Now the highly sought-after item is going under the hammer at Sotheby's auction house in London on July 10 and is expected to fetch a staggering £10,000.

It is still thought Agatha's disappearance was triggered by her mother Clara Miller’s recent death from bronchitis.

Her first husband Archie had been in Spain when Agatha’s mother became sick and because he ‘hated illness, death and trouble’ he left her to deal with the death herself.

She began to show symptoms of nervous breakdown, for example bursting into tears when her car wouldn’t start and having trouble remembering her name.

Agatha received some relief when her book The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was released June.

The novel thrust her into the literary stratosphere and after clearing out her mother’s old house she was able to return to hers and Archie's home of Styles.

However, Archie’s announcement that he had fallen for another woman, Nancy Neele, and that he wanted an immediate divorce brought her further pain.

The pair separated, but had a temporary reconciliation which Agatha later said was a ‘mistake’ that led to ‘a period of sorrow, misery and heartbreak.’

It is these factors which are thought to have led to Agatha’s disappearance. The writer claimed she remembered nothing about how she arrived in Harrogate, Yorkshire.

She eventually divorced her husband in 1928 before going on to marry archaeologist Sir Max Mallowan in 1930.

In 2006, biographer Andrew Norman, in his study of the writer's life, claimed that when she went disappeared Agatha was in the grip of a rare medical condition named 'fugue state' and was in a trance for several days.

Agatha, who also wrote under the name Mary Westmacott, died in 1976 having written more than 70 detective novels, most famously Hercule Poirot and Miss Jane Marple.

[Image: article-0-13A69105000005DC-110_636x478.jpg]

[Image: article-0-13A69111000005DC-181_640x408.jpg]

[Image: article-0-13A6911E000005DC-704_314x490.jpg]

[Image: article-0-13A6911A000005DC-593_640x827.jpg]

daily mail. stupid fuckers spelled Sotheby's wrong. i fixed it. God, they're British!

Very cool, LC. Many of the best female writers had difficult lives. I didn't know this about her.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
with second husband, Sir Max Mallowan, archaeologist

[Image: couple.jpg]

[Image: max+and+agatha.jpg]

[Image: agatha+2.jpg]

[Image: Agatha_Christie.jpg]