Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
VEHICLE INSPECTIONS

This was inspired by a post in another thread...

I have always thought all states would require vehicles traveling their roads to be inspected. Wrong! It's left up to the state to make that decision. If your state is not on the enclosed list you can take that to mean they don't care about your safety. Yeah, that's how I see it. It also tells me that the people managing your state have shit for brains.

Arkansas, California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
you should have seen some of the dangerous hunks of junkyard rejects on the roads in florida!

New York requires a yearly inspection for every car. And it's doubled in price in say the last 5 years. Most places check your headlights and brake lights and say ok, good to go. Especially if it's a newer car. It's a waste of time and money.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(07-13-2012, 07:01 AM)ramseycat Wrote: It's a waste of time and money.

Is that comment in regards to new cars or all cars in general?

New cars here are allowed five yrs. before they need to be inspected.
see posts 186, 187 & 188:

http://mockforums.net/post-266393.html#pid266393

Massachusetts has an extensive inspection which includes emissions and many other items. it cost $30. annually.
you are given a printout of all the items inspected after they are done. it is certainly not desultory.

Good point LC and I do agree commercial vehicles should be inspected. All should. It's just that these places don't take the time to really inspect them well. That is why I feel it's a waste of time and money Duch.
I wanna know where Ramsey gets her car done. Every time I go, no matter who it is they find a way to clip me for a couple hundred bucks for some ridiculous "repair". State mandated extortion.
Thank god I am oblivious to the opinions of others while caught in the blinding splendor of my own cleverness.

The DMV does inspections here whereas (some) other states have designated garages who do it. I really am blown away to discover not all states don't make it mandatory.
Most car repair places and oil change places can do inspections. They check emissions stuff too and you get a check list. It just seems like when the car is newer, it take them like 10 minutes and out the door you go. A few years ago I did get dinged for new rear brakes but my car was three years old. I kept that one longer than I usually keep a car. Generally, I trade in every three years for a new one. Something about having a warranty makes me feel better. LOL
NH inspections are ridiculous-Garages here can also charge what ever they want for an inspection-I've seen prices start at $30.00 and go all the way up to $85.00, and there is no "standard" inspection-just a guideline.

I have a friend that did an article about inspections. She took her car to her trusted mechanic, who inspected it but (at her request) did not sticker it-she then took the car to 25 other inspection stations in the county, and received estimates ranging from $100.00 up to $2,000.00 in repairs in order for the car to be 'inspect-able'-only 3 out of the 25 garages told her that her car was fine.
Some of the most dangerous trucks are those driving north from Mexico into the U.S. for local deliveries.

If U.S. inspections are weak, imagine how poorly the Mexican government handles their obligations and responsibilities in this arena.
Just remember when the computer comes up with a code 67 I think or large evap leak it could simply mean that you need a new gas cap. That will make the computer light stay on. And get one from a dealership. A guy I know bought a cap that was bad from a cheap parts store like advanced auto or autozone. He got a good one from the dealership and his light went out. They wanted to charge 800.00 for all this stupid work for nothing.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Florida does not do inspections, they did for a while as a new program, but like everything else in Florida it was a scam and they got their ass sued off and quit about 2 years in. When I moved here in 95 the state of the cars on the road was fucking scary, it was nothing to see a minor fender bender and one car damn near decentigrate from all the rust, doors and fenders fall off, engine laying in the road. When the economy started crashing about 2001 or so, all the dealerships were offering 0 down and 0% apr loans, thousands of new cars sold and thousands of inexpensive trade ins on the market, even the hatiens upgraded. The cars on the road out here now are not near as bad as before. I think they should be doing inspections, a program like they have in Texas, its a safety and driveability inspection. They check brakes, steering, lights and emissions as they should. You can get it fixed there or take it to your guy.
(07-13-2012, 06:14 AM)Lady Cop Wrote: you should have seen some of the dangerous hunks of junkyard rejects on the roads in florida!

Six the entire ass-end of a lorry (trash truck) fell off right in front of me on 95...i had to run off the road doing 80. i had my then-little son with me.

and don't even mention the assholes hauling boats!! how do you tell insurance co. (joe's bible and insurance, bait and tires, Fla. carrier) you were hit by a freaking BOAT?? hah
they tend to laugh at you.

Still see it all the time, some third world asshole loads 87 tons of tile into a 40 ton trailer and the spine snaps in the middle of I95, Axle on an overloaded landscape trailer snaps and flips it over, ladders in the road. I95 is always a circus
Some of the cars I have seen driving in Detroit are in bad shape, held together by duct tape it looks. I'm surprised they don't fall apart if they hit 50mph, I tend to stay far far away from them when I pass I see them on the freeway. Also I think indicators must be an option in Michigan, never ever do I see anyone use theirs, Michigan drivers and their cars scare me.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

I once saw a car in florida with no front or rear glass, no brake lights or turning signals and his bumper was duct taped on. I saw this same car every day on 75 while I was driving to Naples for work. One time he had to hit the brakes and I had my window down and his brakes made a god awful howling sound, I thought he was going to die. His car sounded like something up a tree and pissed off about it. I go to a family friend for inspection. He charges me $20 and slaps a sticker on.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
In MN we used to have a required annual emissions inspection.

No longer. There are zero 'inspections' that take place.
"His car sounded like something up a tree and pissed off about it."

hahahahhaaaaa didn't I tell you Lucy has the funniest sayings?