Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spelling....
Is there a word that you always spell wrong? I am not talking about typos or the phone autocorrecting. But a word that for some reason you can never spell correctly.

Or is there a word that people always spell wrong and it drives you crazy?

My answer to that question is YES!! Ridiculous is spelled with an I not an E.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
My spelling has always sucked, some words defy me. It doesn't help that English has little in hard fast rules for spelling, sometimes you just have to know that word. In my professional correspondence I use spell checker. In here, not so much, no, I don't care if it sets your teeth on edge, probably makes your nipples hard to, so there is that.

I fuck words up on occasion but I justify by thinking that I have thousands of flawless posts so that buys me an error or two now & then.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I also use spell check for business correspondance but not in here. Everyone makes a typo here and there or misspells a word. It's the easy everyday words that people misspell that drives me nuts. I can never spell definitely right. In fact I probably just spelled it wrong. LOL
So I always use spell check for that word. I don't know why I can't spell it. Mental block I guess.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Choose and chose.
Those two give me pause.
Tomorrow is not spelled tomArrow. Using the wrong "your/you're", "their/there/they're", using the wrong "too/two/to". I rarely make spelling errors, and I turned off auto correct on my phone because it fucked me up. Also, I see a lot of.people spelling the name "Brian" as "B-R-A-I-N". His name is not Brain.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
you don't want to get me started on my pet peeve. 52

http://mockforums.net/thread-4161.html?h...iven+crazy

[Image: SpellingNazi.jpg]

how about people who are LOOKING RIGHT AT THE WORD OR NAME AND STILL SPELL IT WRONG?! JESUS!

Dutchess Dutchess Dutchess

hah

I read an online newspaper yesterday that had spelled metal in place of mental. Tards. 78
IRL people spell my name wrong all the damn time. More so in work/client emails, my names is in my actual email address and it's in big bold letters in my signature line, but no people choose to just leave a letter out, just because it might be silent doesn't name it doesn't deserves to be there. I know I make typos all the time, and sometimes I even right over words and do not see them, but I try to always spell people's names correctly.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Ditto that^ I think spelling reflects the care you take to write anything.
(07-18-2012, 09:14 AM)Duchess Wrote:

I read an online newspaper yesterday that had spelled metal in place of mental. Tards. 78

On the front page of our local newspaper a few months ago, the big headline was "UNEMPLOYOMENT UP". Complete with the word "unemployment" spelled wrong.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
[Image: Headlines-Collage-1.gif]
(07-18-2012, 08:51 AM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Choose and chose.
Those two give me paws.

Fixed.
My own posts from my phone, when I've typed in a hurry or neglected to check for typos, embarrass the hell out of me. Mental block words for me were always "i before e" words.
As for what pisses me off: made-up words used by professionals in an attempt to sound hip, like "chillax" or "ginormous" ,drive me into murderous rage. I'm also not particularly fond of internet acronyms but I've found I have to use "lol" frequently as punctuation so stupid people will know I'm joking.
I don't use spell check on posts; I want to have to think and remember and check (which doesn't always work out perfectly for me on every post, obviously). Same with calculators for anything but complex equations. I still do math by hand for non-business matters.

I have a fear of losing these basic skills; probably irrationally. I honestly don't know more than three phone numbers by heart anymore since the cell phone stores and dials for me. I wonder if I'd still be able to remember as many as I once did if it were necessary, so maybe my fear is not completely irrational.

I misspell "occasionally" as "ocassionally" on occasion, unless I stop and catch myself.
Same with "embarrassed" - I tend to leave out one "r", which is embarrassing.
I almost always spell "supersede" as "supercede", it's a trick word - breaks all the English rules for no good reason!

Aside from the "too/to" and "you're/your" errors, the words that I notice being misspelled by others often:

"loose" instead of "lose"
"experiance" instead of "experience"
"neccessary" instead of "necessary"
"tommorrow" instead of "tomorrow"
"then" when it should be "than"
"effect" when is should be "affect"

No big deal about some misspellings and grammar hiccups on a message board, imo. But, it would affect my perception of someone's ability or focus in a business setting.
I still struggle with "completely" and a few other words that end in "ous"
I think I see your problem..."completely doesn't end in "ous".
Practically, there's another one.