Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Have You lived outside of the U.S. for an extended period of time?
Have you lived outside of America for anything longer than a vacation? If so, where and is it a place you could see yourself moving to?

What were your concerns and your pleasant surprises? Where you happy to return?

If you haven't lived anywhere but in the U.S., would you consider doing so if you were not tied down with family?
three years in England in my teens. my Dad's work brought him over the pond during that time.

nearly moved back there a few years ago. (English fiance).

Someday I'll live in Ireland or Scotland. Never been outside the US for more than a couple days.
I lived and worked in Himeji, Japan for 3 years (89, 90, 91).

Biggest pleasant surprise was how easy it was to feel at home, even when physically standing out - mostly because of the value placed on politeness and respect in the Japanese culture. It was also very easy and cheap to get around on the trains once I understood a bit of Japanese. I never drove in Japan - just train and bicycle. Loved the food and the people; missed my family; didn't miss all the "stuff" I left back in the US - only took my clothes and some albums and CDs (1 room tatami apartment with western bathroom and kitchenette).

I wouldn't live in Japan again, but I have visited for business and pleasure a few times since moving back to the US and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. Made some good friends, learned a language and got to use it everyday, and it was very lucrative back then; the experience also helped me get the types of positions that I was looking for when I returned to the US.

Funniest thing was climbing Mount Fuji with some other gaijin (foreigners) and having to wait for them to catch up because they were older and I simply couldn't go that slow. Then, when we were near the top and I went all out at my best pace, several Japanese couples at least in their 80s zipped right on by me. Same thing happened to me a lot when riding my bicycle. Healthy diet and lots of walking made for much healthier seniors, in general, than I was accustomed to here.
^
That's pretty cool. I live in Japan (Yokkaichi and Nagoya) for four months on an exchange program out of high school. I remember grapes were like $25. a pound and was a delicacy. They came in a little wooden crate, cushioned with that type of easter egg plastic straw to keep them from bruising. The Japanese peel their grapes as the skin is too tart.

Remember all the vending machines? You could buy various quality of milk from them too.
When I was there Pink Lady was the rage.
No. Longest trip was a month at a villa in Umbria, Italy. I wouldn't live there. They had flying bugs the size of coffee mugs.
Commando Cunt Queen
(07-22-2012, 03:45 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: ^
Remember all the vending machines? You could buy various quality of milk from them too.
When I was there Pink Lady was the rage.

Must have been fun at that age, OBK. I'd been working and just finished my undergrad studies when I went.

Hot kohee and ice kohee in a can - I lived off those from the vending machines, which were everywhere. Still a big coffee drinker. They also sold the large Asahi, Sapporo, and Kirin canned beers in the vending machines up until like midnight (IIRC).

I don't remember Pink Lady, but not a milk drinker. I did try all sorts of flavored potato chips, ones I'd never seen here - most pretty good. And, having pizza with my Japanese friends - tuna topping was as popular as pepperoni is here. Sounds awful, but got used to it fast and liked it.

Hope you got to be there when sakura bloomed - lots of good festivals and picnics at the castle park in Himeji and throughout Japan. That was one of my favorite times of year there.
You're making me nostalgic. I've never thought to travel there again, but you know what? And, why not? Sapporo was featured on the Travel Channel and other than being an icebox in the winter, looked like a wonderful place to visit; ski, and explore.
(07-22-2012, 04:36 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: You're making me nostalgic. I've never thought to travel there again, but you know what? And, why not? Sapporo was featured on the Travel Channel and other than being an icebox in the winter, looked like a wonderful place to visit; ski, and explore.

I'm getting a little notalgic too. I was an English teacher and then a business consultant for technology and music/entertainment businesses. My clients and students took me everywhere - I was really really lucky.

It was only around an hour to Osaka and Kobe by shinkaisoku from Himeji; that's were I did most of my business the last two years. But, some of the more rural places were the most fun to visit, for me.
(07-22-2012, 01:05 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Have you lived outside of America for anything longer than a vacation?

Yes.
(07-23-2012, 01:43 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(07-22-2012, 01:05 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Have you lived outside of America for anything longer than a vacation?

Yes.

Is it top secret spy stuff or are you able/willing to share with us the basics, Midwest Spy? 47
(07-23-2012, 02:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

Yes.

Is it top secret spy stuff or are you able/willing to give us the basics, Midwest Spy?

I was stationed in Oslo, Norway from June of '85 until October of '87, and in Panama City, Panama from Nov '89 until Apr '92.

I'll have to get your security clearance before I can disclose anything else.

I did enjoy being overseas, but I was also happy to return to the States.
I am from a military family and have lived in several places (outside of the US) mostly on bases.
I would live outside the U.S. again. I would probably live anywhere. But I have become much more
of a home body since constantly moving around growing up. I also would miss my family and enjoy being
close to them.
(07-22-2012, 01:05 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Have you lived outside of America for anything longer than a vacation? If so, where and is it a place you could see yourself moving to?

If you haven't lived anywhere but in the U.S., would you consider doing so if you were not tied down with family?

Can I answer this but question but change USA for UK?
(08-08-2010, 06:37 PM)Maggot Wrote: May your ears turn into arseholes and shit on your shoulders......Smiley_emoticons_smile

(07-23-2012, 03:01 PM)Midwest Spy Wrote:
(07-23-2012, 02:58 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:

Yes.

Is it top secret spy stuff or are you able/willing to give us the basics, Midwest Spy?

I was stationed in Oslo, Norway from June of '85 until October of '87, and in Panama City, Panama from Nov '89 until Apr '92.

I'll have to get your security clearance before I can disclose anything else.

I did enjoy being overseas, but I was also happy to return to the States.

The password is Vigelandsparken.

I was only in Oslo for two days on business, but I got to go to the sculpture park. Very cool, imo. I wish I'd been able to take the ferry to Denmark, but still never been. Did you make it over?

(07-23-2012, 04:49 PM)Love Child Wrote: I am from a military family and have lived in several places (outside of the US) mostly on bases.
I would live outside the U.S. again. I would probably live anywhere. But I have become much more
of a home body since constantly moving around growing up. I also would miss my family and enjoy being
close to them.

I lived about 50% of the time outside of the US in my 20's, Love Child. Now, I have to pull myself off the couch. Something about being grounded after great years of moving around. Both good. I think I could live anywhere too, but like being within hours of family. Is there anywhere that you lived that you'd like to live again?

(07-23-2012, 05:19 PM)ESAD Wrote:
(07-22-2012, 01:05 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Have you lived outside of America for anything longer than a vacation? If so, where and is it a place you could see yourself moving to?

Can I answer this but question but change USA for UK?

I'm interested, FWIW. Where have you lived outside of the UK, ESAD?
@HotD spent time at Frogner Park and took the ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen and Oslo to Kiel, Germany as well.

I liked Sweden a little more than Denmark, but they were both enjoyable. Norway was very scenic. Driving through the mountains and fjords during late winter/early spring was incredibly beautiful.

We used to have a Member from Norway but he died.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(07-23-2012, 08:42 PM)Duchess Wrote:

That will definitely put a damper on posting. More, please. Morbid curiosity, did he know he was dying? Final posts?

I think if I had some terminal illness, I wouldn't say a word. I'd prefer no pity and enjoy just being a regular member and then just disappear one day.
(07-23-2012, 08:42 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Nothing famous has really ever come from Norway, BUT they did have a pop group, A-ha, that had a huge hit in 1985, 'Take On Me'. I happened to be living there for their 15 mins of international fame.

The Embassy marines would have Friday night parties, and the Norwegian lovelies would show up and talk about the music group, and then want to impress us with their skills Smiley_emoticons_smile

Besides cross country skiing, there were really only a couple of things to do there: drink and fuck.
(07-23-2012, 08:50 PM)username Wrote: More, please. Morbid curiosity, did he know he was dying? Final posts?

No, he didn't know. The last time I saw him posting he mentioned having a bad headache. I thought about that a lot after he first died. I didn't know him as well as a few of the others. He was a lovable flake. Couldn't spell worth a shit & his mocking was nonexistent but he tried.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]