Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Multiple people shot near Empire State Building in Manhattan, NYPD Confirms
just breaking, have NO information/details yet.

i heard 5 people. situation still fluid.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – At least three people have been shot near the Empire State Building, CBS 2 has learned.

The shooting happened near the intersection of 33rd Street and Fifth Avenue. There is a large police presence on the scene and police said they have a suspect in custody.

The conditions of the victims are unknown. It’s still not clear what led to the shooting.

Two lanes of traffic are blocked on Fifth Avenue at 34th Street. Traffic is stopped from East 42nd Street.

Check back with CBSNewYork.com as this story

I heard shooter dead. 7 shot. 1 vicitim dead, 3 critical and others unknown.
Holy crap. Another nutjob taking people out.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
The latest from CNN:

[Updated at 11:26 a.m. ET] A disgruntled former employee of a business inside the Empire State Building shot a former coworker in the head in a dispute outside the building, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

As suspect Jeffrey Johnson tried to flee the scene, he pulled a .45 caliber pistol on two approaching police officers, who opened fire on him. Nine people were wounded or grazed by gunfire in the crossfire, Kelly said
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

I haven't seen them but the rumor mill is stating that people took photos of the victims and posted them on pretty much every social media outlet. Ugh
WTF, he lost his job a YEAR ago! And he just went postal now? What was up with that?

Did not hear anything about the pictures, but would not be surprised.

This is why I am glad I do not live in a big city!
QB, maybe he just lost his house or something. After being out of work for a year, he might have used up all his savings and UE benefits. Who knows? Maybe something totally unrelated triggered him to lose it.
You have a point, Ramsey. After I posted, there was something on CNN about some ongoing litigation, it seems, with the co-worker he shot. There were not a lot of specific details.
(08-24-2012, 11:49 AM)RaisingAPrince Wrote: I haven't seen them but the rumor mill is stating that people took photos of the victims and posted them on pretty much every social media outlet. Ugh

There is a pictures on Reuters, I am going to assume it's the shooter since I don't think they would post one of the victim, that's all I have seen though
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

[Image: article-2193065-14AD912D000005DC-84_634x492.jpg][Image: article-2193065-14AD9F5A000005DC-119_634x436.jpg][Image: article-2193065-14ADA5B7000005DC-883_634x477.jpg]
[Image: article-2193065-14ADA5B7000005DC-883_634x477.jpg][Image: article-2193065-14ADC638000005DC-918_634x423.jpg][Image: article-2193065-14AD67E3000005DC-832_634x466.jpg]

Just saw an update on CNN:

The shooter was a designer of women's accessories at Hazan Imports and a Manhattan resident. He was 56 years old and laid off last year. He shot a 41 year old former co-worker with whom he had a long-standing dispute (claims of harassment) to death and was killed himself by police. Nine others reported wounded including 2 police officers, but none life threatening. Reporter said some of those wounded may have been hit by police fire.

A construction worker followed Johnson after the shooting and alerted police. Johnson was dressed in a business suit and had extra ammo in his briefcase. He used a 45-caliber semi-automatic.
(08-24-2012, 01:10 PM)Jezreel Wrote: [Image: article-2193065-14AD67E3000005DC-832_634x466.jpg]

The NY Times had a photo on their homepage that appeared to be the same as this but looking down from above. It showed the body with a pool of blood running down the sidewalk. They have since changed the photo, but I saw a LOT of people complaining about it being disrespectful to the families.
Those are some distubring pictures.
[Image: article-2193065-14AED106000005DC-500_636x351.jpg]

Jeffrey Johnson, 53, shot his former boss, Steven Ercolino (above left), dead outside his workplace on Friday morning, sparking early-morning chaos near the Empire State Building. A construction worker witnessed the shooting, chased Johnson and alerted two police officers, who shot him dead. Johnson's lifeless body, dressed in a grey suit, is pictured alongside his gun (above). Nine people were injured, and Mayor Bloomberg admitted some of the victims may have been hit by police bullets.

[Image: article-2193065-14AF29F2000005DC-704_634x434.jpg]

shooter

[Image: article-2193065-14AEDA4C000005DC-363_634x609.jpg]

Jeffrey Johnson, 58, shot ex-boss Steven Ercolino, 41, three times outside former workplace near New York City skyscraper
Reportedly fired by Ercolino two years ago
He was wearing smart grey suit and carrying a briefcase
Ran off but was chased by construction worker who alerted police
When Johnson aimed his gun at police, officer's shot him dead
Nine injured in gunfire - some might have been hit by police bullets
Three still remain in hospital
Neighbour: Shooter was always alone and 'immaculately' dressed
Neighbors recalled that Johnson was quiet and 'Very Lonely'
Rush-hour ruckus took place in heart of New York City at the height of summer when area was swarming with tourists and workers

photos & video
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z24XSEQy8i

Just updated:

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said all nine bystanders wounded in Friday's Empire State Building shooting had been hit with police gunfire, CNN reported Saturday morning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/25...30007.html
(08-25-2012, 04:52 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: [i]New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said all nine bystanders wounded in Friday's Empire State Building shooting had been hit with police gunfire

So let me see if I've got this right - One gunman shoots one person dead (the person he intended to shoot dead) and the cops shot 9 PEOPLE trying to put the gunman down?

What they should've done is hired the gunman to teach the police how to shoot people.
Just three blocks away and it took four hours to find this out. Go figure.
I don't have words to express how unexceptable this is.

I hope they nail those cops to crosses. I know they won't, but I hope with all my heart that they do.

Fuck.
I understand that LE had no way of knowing exactly what they would be facing when the construction worker followed Johnson and called in the report of a shooting.

But, I don't understand 16 shots being fired by two police officers (one shot 9 and the other shot 7) at one man in close proximity. Johnson drew his gun so LE was completely justified in shooting him down, but 16 shots sounds excessive, especially in a crowded area imo.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said the bystanders were not hit directly by police, but rather the officers struck "flowerpots and other objects around, so ... their bullets fragmented and, in essence, that's what caused the wounds."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/24/justice/ne...index.html

Johnson reportedly bought the gun in Florida in 1991 and didn't have a permit to carry in NY. As of now, he is not believed to have any criminal record.

Imo, NYPD is very lucky none of the bystanders was seriously wounded (according to reports) or killed. An investigation is underway.