Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you Predict who your child will become?
My guess is that the book mentioned below will stir much
controversy and conversation. Having raised my kids already,
I still am amazed at what they do and do not do, how they
react to situations and I always wonder what I may have been
able to do differently to give them more self confidence at
earlier periods of their lives, etc. I know it was much easier
to view my step children and guess about them. The major
contributor that I feel altered many of my childrens' lives was
a life altering event, a kidnapping, and no one has ever been
the same. Secondly, 9-11 changed our entire economic situation
but it did not break any one's spirit. All in all, I guess everyone
has coped.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/book-excerpt-r...EI4a0TZG0q
The best way to raise good kids is to be a bad example.
Likewise, the best way to raise a bad kid is to be a good example.
(09-01-2012, 12:43 PM)Riotgear Wrote: The best way to raise good kids is to be a bad example.

This isn't the first time I've seen you say this. Do I take that to mean so that they won't want to be like you. The "you" is in general terms only.

I don't like to call anyone a liar unless I have irrefutable proof but I find it hard to believe you are the type to set a bad example for your kids.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(09-01-2012, 12:59 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Likewise, the best way to raise a bad kid is to be a good example.

Exactly.
(09-01-2012, 01:00 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(09-01-2012, 12:43 PM)Riotgear Wrote: The best way to raise good kids is to be a bad example.

This isn't the first time I've seen you say this. Do I take that to mean so that they won't want to be like you. The "you" is in general terms only.

I don't like to call anyone a liar unless I have irrefutable proof but I find it hard to believe you are the type to set a bad example for your kids.

I've live a ... colorful life. Most of my troubles came about as a result of my own mistakes, lack of empathy and selfishness. I'm not successful, well-educated or particularly friendly.

My kids are the opposite. My oldest son recently graduated HS 4.0. My first grader read more books than any other child k through 5th last year at the ripe old age of 5. My youngest thinks only of becoming a LEO when he grows up and my oldest will enlist in the USAF next Thurs.

/boast

In every way that counts these fucking kids are way out ahead of me. They're going to be pretty disappointed when the find out their LEO/Military experience doesn't make it possible to kick their old school dad's ass.

/rant

Can I ask a couple questions? Disregard if not.

Do you (or did you) indulge in criminal behavior in front of them? With your wife's help did you raise them?
(09-01-2012, 02:06 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Can I ask a couple questions? Disregard if not.

Do you (or did you) indulge in criminal behavior in front of them? With your wife's help did you raise them?

Hmm.... Did yes. Do no and yes, but I don't really understand the second question.

While there is always the exception to the rule I think kids turn out because of the way they were raised as far as a moral code and standards that are set. Crappy parents raise crappy kids, many are a product of their environment. Don't kids learn as little people how to act by watching how their parent conducts him/herself?

I asked if you raised them because they are seemingly decent, well adjusted people...you had a hand in that.
(09-01-2012, 02:22 PM)Duchess Wrote:

While there is always the exception to the rule I think kids turn out because of the way they were raised as far as a moral code and standards that are set. Crappy parents raise crappy kids, many are a product of their environment. Don't kids learn as little people how to act by watching how their parent conducts him/herself?

I asked if you raised them because they are seemingly decent, well adjusted people...you had a hand in that.

Maybe what most people think are 'good' parents and what actually are good parents ain't the same thing.

I joke around that I'd sooner let a full dress leather fag watch my kids then a christian, but I'm not really joking. With the leather fag you know exactly what you're getting. With the christian too eh?

The beasts generally aren't and the sheep are really wolves.

We are painting with a pretty broad brush here though.
My children are intelligent and well mannered, but complete polar opposites in every other way. My oldest will be the guy that lives in a log cabin, smack in the middle of 100 acres, dirt poor and will love every single minute of his life like a clam in the mud. My youngest will be on wall street or something similar, live in luxury, make millions and millions of dollars and hate every second of his miserable existance. Of course, that's all just speculation but I have a pretty good feeling it'll turn out something like that.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
And you youngest will yell out the window at anyone that dares walk in front of his house.

"get off my street!" hahahhaa
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
What was his problem???? Banging on the windows and shit.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
My kids have done exceedingly well in spite of our mariage breaking up, being raised by their slightly neurotic mother and racist pig of a second husband. Their grandparents get a lot of the credit, very fine people. I hope to claim a small bit of credit by showing them there is a wider world out there than the small little town they were raised in. While I was out traveling the country working and paying the bills for insurance, medical, school clothes, toys, school trips, dance lessons and all that, the husband taught (or tried to teach) my kids that all black folks are niggers and thats why he could never get a good job or a break. The grand parents kept them in church and taught them how to be good people, I owe them a lot.
My daughter is a professional speech pathologist, is married to an ex navy seals officer and has given me 3 wonderfull smart grand kids. My son is now a practicing doctor and just got married, I could not be prouder of any of them.
I would never in a million years thought that they would be who they are today, I barely even hoped they would make it out of the hole they grew up in. But they did.
So, no, I don't think you can always tell, sometimes maybe with some kids and some parents
(09-03-2012, 05:01 PM)SIXFOOTERsez Wrote: My kids have done exceedingly well in spite of our mariage breaking up, being raised by their slightly neurotic mother and racist pig of a second husband. Their grandparents get a lot of the credit, very fine people. I hope to claim a small bit of credit by showing them there is a wider world out there than the small little town they were raised in. While I was out traveling the country working and paying the bills for insurance, medical, school clothes, toys, school trips, dance lessons and all that, the husband taught (or tried to teach) my kids that all black folks are niggers and thats why he could never get a good job or a break. The grand parents kept them in church and taught them how to be good people, I owe them a lot.
My daughter is a professional speech pathologist, is married to an ex navy seals officer and has given me 3 wonderfull smart grand kids. My son is now a practicing doctor and just got married, I could not be prouder of any of them.
I would never in a million years thought that they would be who they are today, I barely even hoped they would make it out of the hole they grew up in. But they did.
So, no, I don't think you can always tell, sometimes maybe with some kids and some parents

There's your problem right there. I suspect you already know that though.