Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CrossFit Gym Owner Murdered in Toledo
Interesting. He was shot while opening the gym between 5-6am on 11/19. I'm hearing lots of theories floating around about this. His family deserves to have this solved. Any T-Town mockers know/hear anything?

From the Toledo Blade on 11/20/2012:

The owner of a South Toledo gym died of a single gunshot wound, an autopsy performed today showed.

Joseph Lengel, Jr., 57, who owned CrossFit Toledo-Intensity Fitness, suffered a single shotgun wound to his left side, said Lucas County Coroner Dr. James Patrick.

The death was ruled a homicide.

Police responded to the gym, 757 Warehouse Rd., at 5:56 a.m. Monday after a gym patron found Mr. Lengel outside the gym. Mr. Lengel was taken to the University of Toledo Medical Center, the former Medical College of Ohio, where he was pronounced dead at 6:35 a.m.

Police have not made any arrests in the case. Initially police said the motive might have been a robbery, but police are also investigating other motives as well.

Investigators have also obtained surveillance video from a nearby business, police have said.
Crime Scene Photos from WNWO Toledo

Initially thought robbery, but wallet not taken:
[Image: GYMSHOOTING.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch]

[Image: GYMSHOOTING3.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch]

[Image: GYMSHOOTING2.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch]
[Image: gympic.01.jpg?w=204&h=153&aspect=nostretch]

One of Joe Lengel's sons during tribute workout at Joe's gym.
How awful!!

If not a robbery, makes you wonder what was going on.

Bad business deal? Angry Employee / Customer?
here's some of what I've seen/ heard about JL
former pastor...very dynamic,
married for over 30 years with 3 grown children
Lost marriage and church over affair in2010
Dissolution in 2011..messy
became active in crossfit in 2006..
came in 6th in world in Masters championship for CrossFit in 2011 and 2012.
2010 opened gym
Just remarried in may this year
New wife divorced her ex in 2010
(11-25-2012, 10:54 PM)YourOtherLeft Wrote: here's some of what I've seen/ heard about JL
2010 opened gym

So it could be theorized or the innuendo is; that a possible person of interest may be lingering amongst these relationships past/present. I think a lot of authors need to move to Ohio.
YourOtherLeft, I read article in the Toledo and wonder my gosh what happened? I cannot find out if this Gym is open 24 hours and members have an electronic card to get in, wondered if they waited inside gym for him, if they jogged over there or drove a car there? The video film should tell us something.

here are a few comments from the Toledo Blade:-

I highly doubt the motive behind this murder was robbery or that this was a random shooting. Think about it... the facts don't add up=this is not a retail store, nor a high cash flow business, and the location is in a very low traffic area, especially at five-thirty(ish) in the morning. I hope detectives will do a full-fledged-investigation and that the Lucas Co. Coronor's Office will do further tests such as blood work on Joe. My hope is that the truth behind why Joe was murdered will be revealed, and that his death will not be in vain.

.................................................................................................

I believe Joe got a wife in physical shape and she left her husband and that husband killed him for ruining his life. That is my lawyer side of my mind thinking.I have also thought there is more to this.

..................................................................................................

It seems most of the murders around here are not random; they're involving people that have criminal lifestyles or are involved with those who are involved in that lifestyle. Or as Clare suggested, an ex of a client seeking "revenge." I suppose then it's not quite random but not to his own fault.

Regardless, I pray for his family and everyone else impacted by his death.

https://www.facebook.com/CrossfitToledo
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
(11-25-2012, 10:54 PM)YourOtherLeft Wrote: here's some of what I've seen/ heard about JL
2010 opened gym

Great job! more details. Wonder when he opened the gym was it a partnership? He was shot on the side does that strike us odd? was it a drive by shooting maybe?
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
(11-25-2012, 11:37 PM)NightOwl Wrote:
2010 opened gym

Great job! more details. Wonder when he opened the gym was it a partnership? He was shot on the side does that strike us odd? was it a drive by shooting maybe?

Do you know if it was reported or anyone familiar with this area; if security cameras may have caught this act?
On the surface (no concrete evidence yet that I've seen) it sounds like the media is ready to prosecute the ex-husband.
Commando Cunt Queen
(11-26-2012, 12:13 AM)Sphincter Cop Wrote: Do you know if it was reported or anyone familiar with this area; if security cameras may have caught this act?

There were surveillance cameras but wondering if they weren't too helpful considering local media hasn't been showing to the public for help in ID'ing & no arrest yet either.
(11-25-2012, 11:37 PM)NightOwl Wrote: Great job! more details. Wonder when he opened the gym was it a partnership? He was shot on the side does that strike us odd? was it a drive by shooting maybe?
It was later reported that it was a single shot to the chest.
Do not think it was a drive by. Seems unlikely to me that it was random at that time of the morning. Seems like someone knew his routine and window of opportunity before gym members began showing up.
(11-26-2012, 12:47 AM)username Wrote: On the surface (no concrete evidence yet that I've seen) it sounds like the media is ready to prosecute the ex-husband.

I haven't seen that in media yet....besides random fb user comments speculating.
(11-26-2012, 03:19 AM)YourOtherLeft Wrote:
(11-26-2012, 12:13 AM)Sphincter Cop Wrote: Do you know if it was reported or anyone familiar with this area; if security cameras may have caught this act?

There were surveillance cameras but wondering if they weren't too helpful considering local media hasn't been showing to the public for help in ID'ing & no arrest yet either.

Well, we all know how ignorant media reports can be in their lackluster respect for any investigation. Lets hope that if there was video footage; it is being analyzed and looked over first!! Before handing it to the wolves.

From the very few details out there it sounds more personal than random.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
You have to wonder if Joseph Lengel banned anyone from his Gym, the former husband of his new wife agreed to a dissolution of marriage, I don't know how many years they were married, Joseph and his first wife were married 32 years that's a long time, that would cause pain IMO

I am wondering if they just drove up, they knew his schedule, didn't get out of the vehicle for fear he'd wrestle with them him or her, he wouldn't be a person to tangle with he seems strong.
Henry David Thoreau
Agree, Duchess, seems personal.
Couldn't believe fb post from sister of new wife the day he died proclaiming it a random shooting, probably gang related.
Huh??? Based on what??? Nothing like jumping to a conclusion there. Why does it seem these types all live in & around Toledo?

And, NightOwl...he was strong. You're right.
The 911 call came in a few minutes before 6 as gym patrons arrived for 6 am opening. It was a daring act to take on Joe...not to mention the possibility of running into other pumped up crossfit cronies. Whoever the shooter was knew the schedule it seems to me.

His new wife has been divorced for 2 years ...Joe was at least husband #3 for her from what I can find. Looks like married to husband #2 for just under 10 years with no kids in that marriage.

Heard that ex-wife was on a cruise when it happened.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStf1KJwisIRNxsra8DqkB...4aKCDooGaQ]

Joe Lengel while competing for CrossFit
From the Toledo Blade 12/6/2012, 3 have been arrested in the murder of Joe Lengel CrossFit Gym owner, police are also looking for 2 more.

Good job by LE!

[Image: Harris-Kuhns-Managhan-CrossFit-murder.jpg]

The other two the Police are searching for are
Chad Brown, 35, of of 839 Walbridge Ave., and Deitrekk Boone, 19, 1416 Beecham St

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2...owner.html
Henry David Thoreau
Thanks for the update, NightOwl. Good news.

Based on this snip from your link, it appears that authorities are considering it a robbery-related killing rather than a personal one - though I'd bet that they're still investigating any links between the suspects and anyone with personal connections to Mr. Lengel.

According to court documents, Mr. Kuhns, Mr. Harris, and Mr. Boone allegedly robbed Mr. Lengel, 57, of his personal property on Nov. 19 as he arrived at his gym to open for the day. Mr. Lengel, who owned Intensity CrossFit Gym, 757 Warehouse Rd., in South Toledo, was then shot once in the left side of his chest.

Court documents do not indicate who police believe was the shooter.