Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jesse Jackson Jr. - Criminal Plea
Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., (D-Ill.), who resigned in November in the midst of a criminal investigation, has agreed to a plea deal with federal prosecutors, according to Chicago media reports.

The 47-year-old Jackson, Jr., son of a civil-rights icon, has been under investigation for diverting tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions for personal use, a potential violation of federal law.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/je...z2KQzQkxBt

Not only did he try to buy a senate seat, he used campaign funds to buy home furnishings (allegedly). I'm not sure I buy his claim that he suddenly dropped off the map (just before Nyak's indictment) because he needed to undergo treatment for bi-polar disorder. Either way, it amazes me that Jackson Jr. got re-elected to the House even after his cohort Blagojevich had been convicted and Nyak had been indicted.

I hope the plea deal is not too lenient. John Edwards walked away from charges of campaign fraud with no jail time (jury's decision) and Jackson Jr. may well too. I don't think the terms of the plea deal have been released yet.

If we can't get campaign reform legislation passed, I think these assholes should at least face some serious consequences aside from their own political suicide.
(02-09-2013, 04:23 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I hope the plea deal is not too lenient.

I don't like feeling resigned to the fact that it probably will be, I hope I'm wrong. I'd like to see him & others like him punished in such a way that it puts others off from attempting it.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(02-09-2013, 06:48 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(02-09-2013, 04:23 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I hope the plea deal is not too lenient.

I don't like feeling resigned to the fact that it probably will be, I hope I'm wrong.

I feel the same way; almost conditioned to expect that politicians won't be held accountable for criminal activity like anyone else would. It shouldn’t be that way.

Employees who embezzle from companies and get caught usually face much stricter legal consequences than politicians. Why? I think it’s as bad or worse to steal from the people who are responsible for getting you the job and submitting fraudulent accounting records when you’re a public official. The mere slaps on the wrists only encourage more corruption - it’s bullshit.

Jackson’s wife Sandi resigned from Chicago City Council in January “to help care for her husband”. She hasn’t been charged with anything at this point, though she was investigated by the FBI to determine if she was complicit. First she gets humiliated when his affairs are publicized (the gentleman prefers blondes), then he pulls his disappearing act, now a confession to fraud. She seems to be a very sharp, accomplished, and family oriented woman; she was a rising star in the Democratic Party. if I were she and not complicit, I'd send him packing... Complicity, love or stupidity?

How proud the Reverend must be...
From the article:

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that Jackson has agreed to “significant jail time” as part of the plea agreement.

Of course "significant" is a relative term.

The "Rev" probably chastised his son........for getting caught!
I love my country! I don't trust my government!
(02-10-2013, 03:44 PM)HarleyGuy Wrote: The "Rev" probably chastised his son........for getting caught!

Wouldn't doubt it. Reverend Jackson usually has plenty to say about others whom he believes exploit those in the black community and demands public answers. Guess that doesn't apply to his son's lying and defrauding his largely black voter/donor base in Chicago.

"I'm not gonna discuss my son's medical or legal situations. At the appropriate time they will be discussed," said Rev. Jackson on Friday.

Whether or not Jr. will do jail time (fingers crossed) will reportedly depend upon how much he stole/misappropriated, the severity of his bi-polar condition (which is a total ploy, imo), details of his confession, and other factors. His wife's looking pretty shady to me too. She's under separate investigation for misuse of her husband's campaign funds + receiving $5,000 per mo payments from that fund into her campaign consultancy firm's account, even when no campaigning was underway. Not likely she'll do time if found guilty due to the couple having two small children (according to legal pundits).

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIXOJ-waFLV32WNJzi2Gj...0Ckuhu5zuQ]

Entitled assholes. They had it all, including the advantages that came with the Jackson name and legacy; pissed it all away outta greed. This could get ugly as more details emerge. She's reportedly furious that he didn't protect her.

Ref: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/18014...s-say.html
That explains the whole "I'm checking myself into a mental hospital" routine and falling off the face of the planet for awhile!!
Mr. and Mrs. Jackson Jr got completely cornered and had nowhere to run. Straight-up busted.

I predict that she'll get probation and he'll probably only get probation and fines, but I hope that he gets some jail time. Either way, at least they've been exposed as frauds and he has to give back what he misappropriated, including some pretty cool memorabilia that he acquired with campaign funds.

STORY:
WASHINGTON — In a spectacular fall from political prominence, former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. and his wife agreed Friday to plead guilty to federal charges growing out of what prosecutors said was a scheme to use $750,000 in campaign funds for lavish personal expenses, including a $43,000 gold watch and furs.

Federal prosecutors filed one charge of conspiracy against the former Chicago congressman and charged his ex-alderman wife, Sandra, with one count of filing false joint federal income tax returns for the years 2006 through 2011 that knowingly understated the income the couple received. Both agreed to plead guilty in plea deals with federal prosecutors.

Both face maximum penalties of several years in prison; he also faces hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and forfeitures. But the government did not immediately release the text of its plea agreements. Such agreements almost invariably call for prosecutors to recommend sentences below the maximum.

The son of a famed civil rights leader, Jackson, a Democrat, entered Congress in 1995 and resigned last November. Sandi, as she's known, was a Chicago alderman, but resigned last month amid the federal investigation.

Jackson used campaign money to buy such things as a $43,350 on a gold-plated, men's Rolex watch and $9,587.64 on children's furniture, according to court papers filed in the case. His wife spent $5,150 on fur capes and parkas, the document said.

The prosecutors' court filing said that upon conviction, Jackson must forfeit $750,000, plus tens of thousands of dollars worth of memorabilia items and furs. The memorabilia includes a football signed by U.S. presidents, a Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen guitar, a Michael Jackson fedora, Martin Luther King Jr. memorabilia, Malcolm X memorabilia, Jimi Hendrix memorabilia and Bruce Lee memorabilia — all from a company called Antiquities of Nevada.

http://news.msn.com/politics/jesse-jacks...eral-cases
Ah........MSN is all over this............hah Stupid 2nd generation.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(02-15-2013, 09:09 PM)Maggot Wrote: Ah........MSN is all over this............hah Stupid 2nd generation.

Very stupid. If the people of Chicago allow this couple to make a political comeback like they have so many other political felons in the past, they are a lost cause. Maybe this will be the catalyst for major change there? Maybe.

Jr. did get some surprisingly cool stuff though, right? I'd like to have that guitar. Also, the Bruce Lee memorabilia. The Bruce stuff would definitely earn me the "greatest aunt in the history of the world crown"; oldest nephew has loved the guy since he was 3 years old.
"It shows hubris and arrogance that a politician sees his campaign coffers as his to spend as likes," said Jeff Cramer, who as an assistant U.S. attorney in Chicago worked on multiple corruption cases. "With these kinds of charges, I cannot imagine him not going to prison ... for 3 12 or 4 12 years."

He thought Sandi Jackson, at most, would spend several months in prison.

Prosecutors are reluctant to ask judges to send couples with school-age children, like the Jacksons, to prison for long terms at simultaneously — so it's possible, Cramer said, that the government will seek to stagger their sentences in such a way that the Jacksons aren't behind bars at the same time.

http://start.new.toshiba.com/news/read.p...018&page=1

I hope that Mr. Cramer is right.
(02-16-2013, 10:29 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: "It shows hubris and arrogance that a politician sees his campaign coffers as his to spend as likes," said Jeff Cramer, who as an assistant U.S. attorney in Chicago worked on multiple corruption cases. "With these kinds of charges, I cannot imagine him not going to prison ... for 3 12 or 4 12 years."

He thought Sandi Jackson, at most, would spend several months in prison.

Prosecutors are reluctant to ask judges to send couples with school-age children, like the Jacksons, to prison for long terms at simultaneously — so it's possible, Cramer said, that the government will seek to stagger their sentences in such a way that the Jacksons aren't behind bars at the same time.

http://start.new.toshiba.com/news/read.p...018&page=1

I hope that Mr. Cramer is right.

Let the village take care of the children I say hah it's what their kind like, Hilary can babysit even. What an example for their children.

Mr. Cramer sounds good to me.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
What a bunch of dirtbags that family is. Like father like son I guess.
(02-16-2013, 06:31 PM)Jimbone Wrote: What a bunch of dirtbags that family is. Like father like son I guess.

A corrupt family, for sure.

The corruption in Chicago politics is insane. Even after being indicted and/or convicted of felonies, some politicians there get easily voted back into office. I think maybe voters in Chicago are finally fed up; I'm not seeing a lot of supportive comments and excuses for Jr. in the news comments this time out.

It would be great if Jr.'s latest scandal prompted another look at campaign finance reform legislation across the board, but not holding my breath.

This isn't a new cartoon, but it's funny to look back on it now.

[Image: chicago-politics-inked.jpg]
Rod Blagojevich, Jesse Jackson Jr., Barack Obama, Antoin “Tony” Rezko

3 are now convicts, while the other is sitting in the White House. Smiley_emoticons_smile
(02-17-2013, 05:19 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 06:31 PM)Jimbone Wrote: What a bunch of dirtbags that family is. Like father like son I guess.

A corrupt family, for sure.

The corruption in Chicago politics is insane. Even after being indicted and/or convicted of felonies, some politicians there get easily voted back into office. I think maybe voters in Chicago are finally fed up; I'm not seeing a lot of supportive comments and excuses for Jr. in the news comments this time out.

It would be great if Jr.'s latest scandal prompted another look at campaign finance reform legislation across the board, but not holding my breath.

This isn't a new cartoon, but it's funny to look back on it now.

[Image: chicago-politics-inked.jpg]
Rod Blagojevich, Jesse Jackson Jr., Barack Obama, Antoin “Tony” Rezko

3 are now convicts, while the other is sitting in the White House. Smiley_emoticons_smile

hah I had to chime in, cartoon an oldie but a goodie hah
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."
Henry David Thoreau
(02-17-2013, 05:36 PM)NightOwl Wrote: hah I had to chime in, cartoon an oldie but a goodie hah

One more for you from a couple of years back, NightOwl.

[Image: 20110110.jpg]

Henry should update this one to reflect the latest Jackson exploits. Smiley_emoticons_wink
Jackson's father, civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson, on Monday said his son remains under "tight medical supervision" and continues struggling with bipolar disorder.

“During this difficult and painful ordeal, our family has felt the impact of your prayers and calls," Rev. Jackson said. "So many ministers have reached out to us, and we thank you. The hurt in this valley is indescribable."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-roo...z2LNT7hcIA

Gimme a break; not buying this bi-polar disorder excuse - the timing and implications are way too convenient. I'm not a medical professional, but do know people who are bi-polar. None of them have required months of in-patient treatment and full time care to manage their condition once it's been diagnosed and medication has been prescribed.

Jr. will testify in court for the first time tomorrow, Wednesday. Word is that prosecutors will recommend between 46 and 57 months jail time, plus fines. I suspect that Jr.'s attorney will use the severity of his bi-polar disorder to try to keep Jr. outta the joint. Should be interesting.
(02-19-2013, 04:16 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: Jackson's father, civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson, on Monday said his son remains under "tight medical supervision" and continues struggling with bipolar disorder.

“During this difficult and painful ordeal, our family has felt the impact of your prayers and calls," Rev. Jackson said. "So many ministers have reached out to us, and we thank you. The hurt in this valley is indescribable."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-roo...z2LNT7hcIA

Gimme a break; not buying this bi-polar disorder excuse - the timing and implications are way too convenient. I'm not a medical professional, but do know people who are bi-polar. None of them have required months of in-patient treatment and full time care to manage their condition once it's been diagnosed and medication has been prescribed.

Jr. will testify in court for the first time tomorrow, Wednesday. Word is that prosecutors will recommend between 46 and 57 months jail time, plus fines. I suspect that Jr.'s attorney will use the severity of his bi-polar disorder to try to keep Jr. outta the joint. Should be interesting.

These people will do anything to get away with their wrongdoing! Gimme a break is right hahhah
Henry David Thoreau
So, Jr. pled guilty in Federal court today. He freely acknowledged that he knowingly "spent money he shouldn't have for personal use". That acknowledgement is expected to be considered in sentencing. The prosecutor did recommend between 46 and 57 months in jail, but said that the recommended time could be raised or lowered between now and sentencing on June 28th (why so far off?).

The Rev and the rest of the Jackson clan were with Jr. in court today.

His wife Sandi is pleading guilty to income tax fraud in Federal court later today.

And the big surprise statement of the day Sarcasm01 :

At a press conference following the hearing, Jackson Jr. attorney Reid Weingarten said Jackson's health problems contributed to his crimes.

"It turns out that Jesse has serious health issues," he said. "Those health issues are directly related to his present predicament. That's not an excuse, that's just a fact."

Bullshit that they're not using that as an excuse. Totally expect that to be a main focus by Jr.'s team during the sentencing hearings.

Ref:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/20/politics/j...plea-deal/
750K of campaign money spent on personal items? ? ? What an asshole. Oh wait he's mentally ill, so that should play into the sympathy card. Ha
the only health condition he has is kleptomania.