Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Anthony Sowell (Serial Killer) Trial
thanks LC, I wasn't sure how much attention it'd gotten nationwide. and right, because these women had drug/alcohol problems people seem to be less concerned than they ought to be. I think the fact that 7 of 11 were never even reported missing by family or friends is sad. I understand that they may not have had the best track record and very possibly could disappear for long stretches of time, the fact is still a somber one.

Also, my mom is a recently retired lieutenant for the CPD, I remember her being baffled that neighbors complained multiple times about the horrible odor, but it took so long for the bodies to be discovered. In her words the smell of a dead & decomposing body is unforgettable, unmistakable.

The sausage shop was blamed, as were the sewers in the neighborhood (if i remember correctly), what's your take on this? Should LE have recognized that this was not a smell caused by sausage or sewage?

Anthony Sowell's neighbors wonder how stench of rotting bodies went unidentified for years
By Mark Puente, The Plain Dealer

"People used to think it was the sausage shop," said the owner of a pizza shop across the street. "We now realize what it was."

The owner of Ray’s Sausage always scoffed at the idea that her business stunk.

Renee Cash said the smell baffled her and other employees and that they always took extra steps to clean equipment because nobody knew the cause of the odor. State inspectors regularly visit the business and find no violations, she added.

"If we had any smells like that, we wouldn’t be in business for 57 years," Cash said. "That is wrong. This smell from here makes you want to eat."

Drains lines on the street have been cleaned and flushed in the last few years, but the odor still overpowered people in the second-floor offices of the sausage shop. Employees smelled the odor as soon as they walked up the steps, Cash said, and they kept the windows closed.

The windows sit six feet from Sowell’s house, and police removed a body from a shallow grave just below the windows. Cash never figured the smell to be rotting bodies. She believes the smell has lingered since at least 2006.

"We always thought it was the sewers," Cash said. "We’ve been smelling something for a long time."

Eli Tayeh manages a convenience store at the intersection and said Sowell frequented the business twice a day to buy King Cobra beer. He called Sowell a nice man but said he cringed when Sowell walked through the door.

"He smelled bad," Tayeh said. "I was always too embarrassed to ask him about it."

Messages In This Thread
Anthony Sowell (Serial Killer) Trial - by koko - 06-28-2011, 01:01 AM
RE: Anthony Sowell (Suspected Serial Killer) Trial - by koko - 06-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Case turned over to the jury - by koko - 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
CONVICTED - by koko - 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
CONVICTED - by koko - 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM
impact statements - by koko - 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM