Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is your "get in the mood" food?
(02-15-2012, 09:14 PM)Cracker Wrote: I love fondue, too. The broth kind, the cheese kind, and the oil kind.

Hang on and I'll look for the secret white sauce recipe for the meat (if you cook in oil or broth):

Japanese Steakhouse White Sauce - Chuck's Easy Recipe

1-1/4 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise *
14 cup water
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon melted butter
12 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
14 teaspoon paprika
dash cayenne pepper

Using a fork or a whisk, blend all ingredients together thoroughly until well mixed and the sauce is smooth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend. Bring to room temperature before serving.

The sauce will NOT taste right if you don't let it sit overnight. And please don't try to substitute ketchup for the tomato paste! The water is needed to bring this to the right consistency.

I don't know how long this keeps in the refrigerator; I've kept it 7-10 days, but I always wind up eating it all before 10 days so after that - anyone's guess.

* Hellmann's is called "Best Foods" west of the Rockie Mountains. Use other mayos at your peril - many cheap brands make the sauce taste too much like mayo.

OR THIS ONE:
Ingredients
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons melted butter
34 teaspoon paprika
38 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
1 In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, white sugar, rice vinegar, melted butter, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well, cover and refrigerate.

There are many variations, but this is more or less the gist of what constitutes the sauce. I think it is also called Sakura Sauce, which may have lead to the confusion and crazy looks.

What kind of cheese do you use for the cheese fondue? Do you use Gruyère? And do you add the kirsch? I never have that so I put in a little wine, nutmeg, and baby swiss.

I could go for some fondue.

I'm going to try that white sauce tonight with steak and I'm also doing cheese fondue. I splurged on the cheese and bought a Gruyere from France and Appenzeller from Switzerland, it really does make a difference. The Kirsh makes a difference too, it's kinda expensive but the bottle will last forever unless you're an alcoholic or hosting fondue parties every night of the week.

Messages In This Thread
What is your "get in the mood" food? - by Cracker - 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
RE: What is your "get in the mood" food? - by sally - 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM