Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS
(11-13-2016, 11:44 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: I wouldn't personally care if there was an 18 week national cut off (with the exception of severe fetus deformity and threat to the life of the mother and/or fetus) for abortion either. The vast majority of abortions take place before then anyway because most women are making a hard weighted choice (with or without their partners) and want to do it as quickly as possible in the development cycle. They're not homicidal baby murderers as the anti-abortion extremists contend.

But, it's a woman's right to choose and that shouldn't depend on what state she happens to live in. So, an amendment to Roe v. Wade stipulating a sensible cut off for elective abortion would be much more reasonable to me than leaving the issue of legality itself up to the states or leaving the door open for a national ban on abortion.

I feel the same about gay rights. Currently, federal law allows gays across the country to be married with the same benefits/drawbacks as hetero married couples. I don't want to see that repealed and left up to the states again. Gays are entitled to the same rights regardless of the state they happen to live in. However, I don't care if "religious liberty" laws that allow private businesses to discriminate against gays are left to the states/localities.

Making a national cut off date would be the sensible thing to do, I think 18 weeks is reasonable since at 16 weeks is when testing is done for birth defects. If severe birth defects are found after that then that's an exception, also the mothers life being at sake would be an exception. But, the whole "mothers life at stake" after a certain point doesn't make sense when the baby is viable. You'd just deliver it through C-section and try to keep it alive.

I don't count on them to make sensible decisions regarding abortions which is sad because it could be easily done if they just consulted with an OB/GYN for christs sake.

Like Pence saying that anyone getting an abortion should have an ultrasound. Does that idiot know that you can't see anything on an ultrasound until at least 16 weeks. At 12 weeks you can't even detect it with a vaginal ultrasound, all you'll see is a gray blur. By the time you can see the arms and legs and all that nonsense is when you shouldn't be having an abortion anyway which is around 18 weeks.

Which if they're going to keep it legal after that point then yeah I'd say treat it like any other procedure and don't let anyone go into it lightly, show them exactly what they're doing. But it shouldn't be legal in the first place and giving it back to the states isn't going to stop it. So fucking stupid. I wish Hillary would have touched more on that in the debate with him.

Messages In This Thread
CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by Duchess - 11-13-2016, 07:16 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by sally - 11-13-2016, 11:07 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by HairOfTheDog - 11-13-2016, 11:44 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by sally - 11-13-2016, 10:30 PM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by HairOfTheDog - 11-13-2016, 11:51 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by Duchess - 11-13-2016, 11:53 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by SIXFOOTERsez - 11-13-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by HairOfTheDog - 11-14-2016, 04:34 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by thekid65 - 11-14-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by F.U. - 11-14-2016, 10:25 AM
RE: CALLING ALL REPUBLICANS - by aussiefriend - 11-15-2016, 05:46 AM