Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Shooting at Conn. Elementary School
Today we had a meeting at school about safety, police came in to comfort us teachers and review our safety procedures.

Here's what I don't get. All entrances are open from approximately 8:15AM to 9AM. School starts at 9, kids are allowed in at 8:45. Also, in my kindergarten room our procedure if a gunman were to enter the building, we are to lock the classroom door and have all kids and ourselves (teacher, teacher ast & para) sit on the rug in the middle of the room. I said what about the bathroom (there is a bathroom in our classroom) can we hide in there? It would seem near in possible, as there are 25 children and 3 adults in our classroom. No. We sit on the rug. We also have a fire escape door, located in our classroom. We are not allowed to exit those doors either.

I don't care about the rules, if this happens I will be gathering as many kids as I can and running to my car. How is it safe to sit on a rug waiting for the killer to leave? I don't get this safety procedure. It makes me nervous. I also cannot believe I feel so unsafe at work now.

This entire situation makes me so sick to my stomach. Parents are allowed to come eat with the kids, as well. We have at least 1-2 parents come in a week to eat with their kiddos.

Gun control seems to be a huge topic in this forum. My husband is military, he also hunts. This doesn't mean he's going to shoot down an elementary school. I think mental health needs to be much more accessible. I think inpatient treatment needs to be more privy to our culture. I think parents, and people in general need to stop being so hush hush when they think something isn't right, or normal. I think people need to raise their voices and stop hiding in embarrassment.

Normal people don't just choose to shoot down 20 children. There has to be some sort of sign, right?

Messages In This Thread
RE: BREAKING: Shooting at Conn. Elementary School - by HarveySykes - 12-17-2012, 10:38 PM