Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Artsy Fartsy
Do you like art? Do you have art in your home? What kind of art/artists do you like? What do you consider to be art? What do you consider not to be art?
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
I like my brother larrytar's art. He's good enough that people wanted to pay him to exhibit his art and paint a mural at a county fair. He now works as a tattoo artist but I think I prefer his non skin creations even though his tattoos are pretty cool too.
(01-04-2014, 09:02 AM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Do you like art? Do you have art in your home? What kind of art/artists do you like? What do you consider to be art? What do you consider not to be art?

I think determining art is in the eye of the beholder. What I may consider to be art may not be shared by others viewing the same thing. I think some food, when presented, is a work of art. I think the way some people landscape their gardens are works of art.

I don't think I have anything in my home that could be considered art although I've often referred to my kitchen as a work of art, it's for looking at only.

Having said all that - there is art out there that I view as crap and wouldn't give 2 cents for yet if it were to sell would sell for millions.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I like going to art galleries , but most of the time when I see a painting I'd really love to have in my house it's always $1000 plus. I'm not willing to spend that much money on art just for myself when we have other expenses. I have a few paintings in my house that were under $300, a painting that a friend gave me, and an oil painting my daughter did.
I like landscapes better than portraits. Oils and acrylics better than pastels and watercolors, I have more respect for anyone that can do lifelike sculpture rather than painters. Photography is not on my high list of art objects. I think modern art is OK but there sure are some stupid things out there referred to as "art"
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I've got some “outsider art” at home. Outsider art is mainly done by people with mental health problems right up to psychopathic murderers and killers. John Wayne Gacy was a prolific artist in prison and some of his paintings were sold for hefty sums. Whether its the quality of the paintings or the fame and notoriety of the artist that gets the big bucks is debatable I suppose.

I went to an exhibition of outsider art in London a few years ago and to be honest most of the stuff was way outside my price range. There was one guy an ex prisoner who had acute schizophrenia and I bought one of his mounted charcoal drawings of lucifer with his broken wings posing like Rodans The Thinker. I talked to the guy and he said his art was better therapy than talking to a headshrinker which is interesting.
We need to punish the French, ignore the Germans and forgive the Russians - Condoleezza Rice.
(01-04-2014, 01:00 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 09:02 AM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: Do you like art? Do you have art in your home? What kind of art/artists do you like? What do you consider to be art? What do you consider not to be art?

I think determining art is in the eye of the beholder. What I may consider to be art may not be shared by others viewing the same thing. I think some food, when presented, is a work of art. I think the way some people landscape their gardens are works of art.

I don't think I have anything in my home that could be considered art although I've often referred to my kitchen as a work of art, it's for looking at only.

Having said all that - there is art out there that I view as crap and wouldn't give 2 cents for yet if it were to sell would sell for millions.

Well I think art is very much a subjective thing one persons masterpiece is another persons pile of crap. I've got some framed Mark Rothko prints on the walls and I dare say some people might think “why have you got that abstract crap on your walls?” But with art there are no right or wrong answers.

Speaking of art - I view these as art and they are made from snow and ice.

[Image: banff-ice-sculpture-2-935.jpg]

[Image: sapporo-general-boat-935.jpg]

[Image: harbin-castle-pagoda-935.jpg]

[Image: sapporo-ice-pagoda-935.jpg]

[Image: knight-ice-sculpture-935.jpg]
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I don't know how they manage to do stuff like that its like those sand sculptures, amazing.
I've seen some nude art that I liked. Not photography, but black and white sketches and some sculptures that I wouldn't mind having. But again they were all expensive. I can't really justify buying a $5000 naked sculpture to sit on top of my desk.
(01-04-2014, 04:06 PM)sally Wrote: I've seen some nude art that I liked. Not photography, but black and white sketches and some sculptures that I wouldn't mind having. But again they were all expensive. I can't really justify buying a $5000 naked sculpture to sit on top of my desk.
I'll sit naked on your desk for $50 and a sandwich a day.
I love art, love creating art, love hanging around artistic people who think differently to others. These days my life is far more suburban than the inner city circle I used to hang around with.
(01-04-2014, 04:25 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: I'll sit naked on your desk for $50 and a sandwich a day.

You'd break my desk, scare the kids and I wouldn't have any room to do my paperwork. Plus it would probably annoy my husband. That's not worth a sandwich let alone 50 bucks.

This is why you don't have a job, you want way more than you're worth.
I have a Rockwell Kent painting that has been passed down and a few sketches he was not very famous though. My Mother has a couple and my sister has 2.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(01-04-2014, 08:34 PM)sally Wrote: This is why you don't have a job, you want way more than you're worth.

Clang doesn't want to hear the truth right now, please leave a message or try telling him the truth again later.
(01-05-2014, 06:59 AM)Cynical Ninja Wrote:
(01-04-2014, 08:34 PM)sally Wrote: This is why you don't have a job, you want way more than you're worth.

Clang doesn't want to hear the truth right now, please leave a message or try telling him the truth again later.
I'd listen to sally tell me the truth. Never you.

Then again, being told you're worth less than 50 dollars seemed a little mean. So maybe not even sally.
(01-05-2014, 11:45 AM)Clang McFly Wrote: I'd listen to sally tell me the truth. Never you.

Then again, being told you're worth less than 50 dollars seemed a little mean. So maybe not even sally.

The truth is the truth no matter how you try and spin it fatty.

And the truth is you aren't worth fify cents never mind fifty dollars.
(01-05-2014, 12:06 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote: spin it fatty.

Well if you think I can make it as a DJ then I'll take your career advice and give it a try.
(01-05-2014, 02:51 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Well if you think I can make it as a DJ then I'll take your career advice and give it a try.

DJs need to be able to do two things at once and you couldn't handle serving food and handling cash at the same time by your own admission.
(01-05-2014, 03:14 PM)Cynical Ninja Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 02:51 PM)Clang McFly Wrote: Well if you think I can make it as a DJ then I'll take your career advice and give it a try.

DJs need to be able to do two things at once and you couldn't handle serving food and handling cash at the same time by your own admission.
I did 3+ things at a time at Price Chopper. It's not my fault dunkin donuts and the food service industry in general sucks.