Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How to take a woman down with one word
Interesting article from the Washington Post..

A thought experiment: Imagine how people might react if Taylor Swift released an album made up entirely of songs about wishing she could get back together with one of her exes.

We’d hear things like: “She can’t let go. She’s clingy. She’s irrational. She’s crazy.” Men would have a field day comparing her to their own “crazy” exes.

Yet when Robin Thicke released “Paula” – a plea for reconciliation with his ex-wife Paula Patton disguised as an LP — he was called incoherent,obsessed, heartfelt and, in particular, creepy. But you didn’t hear men calling him “crazy” — even though he used it as the title of one of tracks.

No, “crazy” is typically held in reserve for women’s behavior. Men might be obsessed, driven, confused or upset. But we don’t get called “crazy” — at least not the way men reflexively label women as such.

“Crazy” is one of the five deadly words guys use to shame women into compliance. The others: Fat. Ugly. Slutty. Bitchy. They sum up the supposedly worst things a woman can be.

“Crazy” is such a convenient word for men, perpetuating our sense of superiority. Men are logical; women are emotional. Emotion is the antithesis of logic. When women are too emotional, we say they are being irrational. Crazy. Wrong.

Women hear it all the time from men. “You’re overreacting,” we tell them. “Don’t worry about it so much, you’re over-thinking it.” “Don’t be so sensitive.” “Don’t be crazy.” It’s a form of gaslighting — telling women that their feelings are just wrong, that they don’t have the right to feel the way that they do. Minimizing somebody else’s feelings is a way of controlling them. If they no longer trust their own feelings and instincts, they come to rely on someone else to tell them how they’re supposed to feel.

Small wonder that abusers love to use this c-word. It’s a way of delegitimizing a woman’s authority over her own life.

Most men (#notallmen, #irony) aren’t abusers, but far too many of us reflexively call women crazy without thinking about it. We talk about how “crazy girl sex” is the best sex while we also warn men “don’t stick it in the crazy.” How I Met Your Mother warned us to watch out for “the crazy eyes” and how to process women on the “Crazy/Hot” scale. When we talk about why we broke up with our exes, we say, “She got crazy,” and our guy friends nod sagely, as if that explains everything.

Except what we’re really saying is: “She was upset, and I didn’t want her to be.”

Many men are socialized to be disconnected from our emotions — the only manly feelings we’re supposed to show are stoic silence or anger. We’re taught that to be emotional is to be feminine. As a result, we barely have a handle on our own emotions — meaning that we’re especially ill-equipped at dealing with someone else’s.

That’s where “crazy” comes in. It’s the all-purpose argument ender. Your girlfriend is upset that you didn’t call when you were going to be late? She’s being irrational. She wants you to spend time with her instead of out with the guys again? She’s being clingy. Your wife doesn’t like the long hours you’re spending with your attractive co-worker? She’s being oversensitive.

As soon as the “crazy” card is in play, women are put on the defensive. It derails the discussion from what she’s saying to how she’s saying it. We insist that someone can’t be emotional and rational at the same time, so she has to prove that she’s not being irrational. Anything she says to the contrary can just be used as evidence against her.

More often than not, I suspect, most men don’t realize what we’re saying when we call a woman crazy. Not only does it stigmatize people who have legitimate mental health issues, but it tells women that they don’t understand their own emotions, that their very real concerns and issues are secondary to men’s comfort. And it absolves men from having to take responsibility for how we make others feel.

In the professional world, we’ve had debates over labels like “bossy” and “brusque,” so often used to describe women, not men. In our interpersonal relationships and conversations, “crazy” is the adjective that needs to go.

Now I know why F2 calls her CrayLa..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
(07-20-2014, 09:30 PM)crash Wrote: Interesting article from the Washington Post..

A thought experiment: Imagine how people might react if Taylor Swift released an album made up entirely of songs about wishing she could get back together with one of her exes.

We’d hear things like: “She can’t let go. She’s clingy. She’s irrational. She’s crazy.” Men would have a field day comparing her to their own “crazy” exes.

Yet when Robin Thicke released “Paula” – a plea for reconciliation with his ex-wife Paula Patton disguised as an LP — he was called incoherent,obsessed, heartfelt and, in particular, creepy. But you didn’t hear men calling him “crazy” — even though he used it as the title of one of tracks.

No, “crazy” is typically held in reserve for women’s behavior. Men might be obsessed, driven, confused or upset. But we don’t get called “crazy” — at least not the way men reflexively label women as such.

“Crazy” is one of the five deadly words guys use to shame women into compliance. The others: Fat. Ugly. Slutty. Bitchy. They sum up the supposedly worst things a woman can be.

“Crazy” is such a convenient word for men, perpetuating our sense of superiority. Men are logical; women are emotional. Emotion is the antithesis of logic. When women are too emotional, we say they are being irrational. Crazy. Wrong.

Women hear it all the time from men. “You’re overreacting,” we tell them. “Don’t worry about it so much, you’re over-thinking it.” “Don’t be so sensitive.” “Don’t be crazy.” It’s a form of gaslighting — telling women that their feelings are just wrong, that they don’t have the right to feel the way that they do. Minimizing somebody else’s feelings is a way of controlling them. If they no longer trust their own feelings and instincts, they come to rely on someone else to tell them how they’re supposed to feel.

Small wonder that abusers love to use this c-word. It’s a way of delegitimizing a woman’s authority over her own life.

Most men (#notallmen, #irony) aren’t abusers, but far too many of us reflexively call women crazy without thinking about it. We talk about how “crazy girl sex” is the best sex while we also warn men “don’t stick it in the crazy.” How I Met Your Mother warned us to watch out for “the crazy eyes” and how to process women on the “Crazy/Hot” scale. When we talk about why we broke up with our exes, we say, “She got crazy,” and our guy friends nod sagely, as if that explains everything.

Except what we’re really saying is: “She was upset, and I didn’t want her to be.”

Many men are socialized to be disconnected from our emotions — the only manly feelings we’re supposed to show are stoic silence or anger. We’re taught that to be emotional is to be feminine. As a result, we barely have a handle on our own emotions — meaning that we’re especially ill-equipped at dealing with someone else’s.

That’s where “crazy” comes in. It’s the all-purpose argument ender. Your girlfriend is upset that you didn’t call when you were going to be late? She’s being irrational. She wants you to spend time with her instead of out with the guys again? She’s being clingy. Your wife doesn’t like the long hours you’re spending with your attractive co-worker? She’s being oversensitive.

As soon as the “crazy” card is in play, women are put on the defensive. It derails the discussion from what she’s saying to how she’s saying it. We insist that someone can’t be emotional and rational at the same time, so she has to prove that she’s not being irrational. Anything she says to the contrary can just be used as evidence against her.

More often than not, I suspect, most men don’t realize what we’re saying when we call a woman crazy. Not only does it stigmatize people who have legitimate mental health issues, but it tells women that they don’t understand their own emotions, that their very real concerns and issues are secondary to men’s comfort. And it absolves men from having to take responsibility for how we make others feel.

In the professional world, we’ve had debates over labels like “bossy” and “brusque,” so often used to describe women, not men. In our interpersonal relationships and conversations, “crazy” is the adjective that needs to go.

Now I know why F2 calls her CrayLa..

It took that article for you to figure it out?

Common Sense told me she was a loon from her first post.
You missed the point there, red..
“Two billion people will perish globally due to being vaccinated against Corona virus” - rothschild, August 2021
(07-20-2014, 09:58 PM)crash Wrote: You missed the point there, red..

I usually do...hah
That article is so off-base, IMO, that I had to wonder who wrote it.

[Image: headshot.jpg&h=80&w=80] Harris O’Malley is a dating coach who provides geek dating advice at his blog Paging Dr. NerdLove, the Dr. NerdLove podcast and The Good Men Project.

I don't get called "crazy" much (to the best of my knowlege hah) and don't call other people "crazy" much either.

Anyway, "crazy" doesn't mean to me what it does to Mr. O'Malley on the giving or receiving end and applies equally to men and women.

Sometimes I think, "what a crazy bastard/bitch" or "crazy effin' kids!". The meaning is not synonymous with "mentally ill" and doesn't hold that much power to me, in any case.

Mr. O'Malley is a presumptuous crazy bitch!
It's not "crazy" Taylor Swift is learning. She is young. We all go through these fazes of being besotted by someone. When you are young fragile and vulnerable it is harder to move on when someone has broken your heart. I can't wait till she is all grown up and not so full of herself so that she can write songs like "I don't give a fuck.....literally" or "I should have made you take that test before you gave me that STD". Then, there won't be as many guys claiming that the song is about them.

I have written songs about guys I have loved. It's a beautiful thing. Not horrible, it's therapy, art, all that stuff.
(07-20-2014, 11:25 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: It's not "crazy" Taylor Swift is learning...
"I should have made you take that test before you gave me that STD". Then, there won't be as many guys claiming that the song is about them.
Plenty of guys would still claim we gave Taylor Swift STDs. We don't give a fuck.

The point isn't that Taylor Swift is crazy. He's saying men use words like Crazy, bitchy, naggy, etc to control women's behavior. Which is true, but women control men's behavior with trigger words all the same. Asshole jumps to mind. I mean, this was all explained in that superhero movie Hancock.

Men attempt to control men with words the same way, 'Don't be a bitch/sissy/baby.' 'Quit acting like a fag.' 'Man up.' Just as women attempt to control each other with words like slut, cunt, bff, etc. It's not some diabolical global plot that men have devised to keep women down. This dude is what happens when you take social analysis too far and start drawing your own conclusions.
We all say that stuff. Our friends say that stuff to work through relationships. PM me your postal address and I will send you the Sex in the City cataloge. I'm guessing you are more of the Samantha type.
(07-20-2014, 09:30 PM)crash Wrote: Now I know why F2 calls her CrayLa..

It's just so old. It's just not as funny after the millioneth time.
(07-23-2014, 11:26 PM)aussiefriend Wrote:
(07-20-2014, 09:30 PM)crash Wrote: Now I know why F2 calls her CrayLa..

It's just so old. It's just not as funny after the millioneth time.

I stopped laughing a long time ago. I'll never stop...Crazy Lady.
Right, right, "I stopped laughing....I'll never stop". Has Ramsey hacked into F2's account?
Love you too Aussie!
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
oh Rams now you made me feel bad....come here 72 that F2 is a wicked woman who brings out the worst in people.
(07-24-2014, 08:30 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: that F2 is a wicked woman who brings out the worst in people.

Oh you should have been on the island..98
(07-24-2014, 08:30 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: that F2 is a wicked woman

Oh man you don't know the half of it. She isn't a redhead for nothin'. Fire crotch!
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I would never say those things to the woman that pops the pimples on my back that I cannot reach.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(07-24-2014, 10:33 AM)Maggot Wrote: I would never say those things to the woman that pops the pimples on my back that I cannot reach.

Smiley_emoticons_smile

Exactly. No man would say those things to his female partner unless he's a crazy bastard, or dealing with a doormat, or is itching for a fight, or doesn't give a shit about her in the first place.

The presumption that being called "crazy" (face-to-face or behind-the-back) could take down a woman who isn't crazy is ignorant and laughable to me.
(07-24-2014, 08:43 AM)Duchess Wrote:
(07-24-2014, 08:30 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: that F2 is a wicked woman

Oh man you don't know the half of it. She isn't a redhead for nothin'. Fire crotch!

(07-21-2014, 04:49 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: We all say that stuff. Our friends say that stuff to work through relationships. PM me your postal address and I will send you the Sex in the City cataloge. I'm guessing you are more of the Samantha type.
Which carachter would you compare me to? I've never seen the show, so fire away. Blowing-kisses
(07-24-2014, 08:40 AM)crash Wrote:
(07-24-2014, 08:30 AM)aussiefriend Wrote: that F2 is a wicked woman who brings out the worst in people.

Oh you should have been on the island..98

You loved every minute of it. Aussie would have ruined our fun...prude that she is.