Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
THE AMERICAN FLAG

What does it mean to you?

I have a reason for asking.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
I think of it as the symbol of America. A piece of cloth that symbolizes all the dedication, blood and heart that today's and previous generations have given to keeo the spirit of freedom alive. I do not like it when it's abused it shows the ignorance of the abuser as they forget and discard the memory of everyone that has given their life in death as well as life to preserve our nation in the good and bad times.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Pride.

My feelings about it mirror both of yours but more & more lately I am seeing it used as a symbol of white supremacy. I don't like it.
Anyone with a couple of sparks in their noggin knows that just not true. The rebel flag has nothing to do with white supremacy either but it turned into that in the eyes of a bunch of people.
To me, it's a tangible symbol of national pride; like the national anthem is an intangible symbol of national pride. Every country has a flag and most have an anthem. The U.S. just followed suit.

It doesn't bother me at all that some people refuse to pledge allegiance to the flag because they oppose policies within the U.S. or our foreign policies. I get why they feel it would be disingenuous to do so. And, I'm not into pledging allegiance to symbols either.

While I wouldn't personally burn a flag, I do think it's constitutionally-protected free speech/expression and don't think it should be made a federal crime again.
It is us. Freedom, I see it as a symbol of where we have come. Duchess, I am with you. I do not like to see it desecrated or used as a symbol of hate. Hate is not what America is.
All the above except the white supremacy part, I do not see our flag that way at all.
I served with all kinds of colors and they are still brothers in arms.
There are the weak minded asshats out there that call everything racist and the inference the our flag is anything like that is just as ignorant.
Ok so some white supremacists wave our flag around, that small number of assholes do not speak for the entire country, nor the flag.
America was populated and built by people from all over the world, all colors and all that, I still believe that was the way to go.
However, if they come here, it has to be done legally, period. I don't care if their are from London or Cairo, follow the fucking law or get out
Maggot is half right, the flag is a symbol of the millions of men and women who put their personal lives on hold to secure the "blessings of liberty" for others.

The other part, it is a beacon of hope to millions of oppressed around the world through out our nations history that help is here to aid them in their struggle to live free.

People have misused symbols through out history, that doesn't diminish the greatness of the symbol. It just demonstrates the ignorance of the douche usurping the symbol.
There's no wrong or right answer, pappy. The question posed was what does the American flag mean to each of us, personally. It doesn't mean the same thing to me as it does to you. But, I wouldn't be so presumptuous and ignorant as to claim your answer is wrong or 'half right' on the basis that you don't think and feel the same as I do about it.
I just picked up a new one, the old one had faded and was torn.
I am installing a new 15x20 flag Thursday morning on a site up in Orlando
Sounds simple, but it requires a crane
I have relatives and friends who fought and died in the name of the American Flag, which was representing their country, the USA.
IMO:

Their sacrifice was made so that even some of today's ungrateful souls if they wish, have the "freedom" and right to degrade and even burn the American flag. The flag that many died for.

The American Flag should be revered, and honored, so as to acknowledge the many sacrifices so many have made and even died for, so that all Americans have the freedom's we now enjoy today.
Carsman: Loves Living Large
Home is where you're treated the best, but complain the most!
Life is short, make the most of it, get outta here!

Not having an American flag was never an option for me. My parents had one on a 40 ft pole. I had the same in my yard until my home burned. I rent now and have one flying from the porch.All of the above mentioned flags have had a light on them at night. DAWN to DUSK.
[Image: Naughty_Grandma_by_Momma__G.gif]
(05-23-2017, 01:34 AM)HairOfTheDog Wrote: There's no wrong or right answer, pappy. The question posed was what does the American flag mean to each of us, personally. It doesn't mean the same thing to me as it does to you. But, I wouldn't be so presumptuous and ignorant as to claim your answer is wrong or 'half right' on the basis that you don't think and feel the same as I do about it.

you're lecturing me... that is rich.

you supported a lying bitch who sold this nation's security to the highest bidder, killed four Americans by her inaction then lied about it and put this nation at risk because of her obsessive need to control information about her crimes. your opinion means less than nothing to me you pusillanimous hypocrite.
17 Ouch. You really hurt my feelings there, pappy.

But, my comment wasn't a lecture. It was a statement. You can't grade people on what the flag means to them without being presumptuous and it is ignorant to assume there's a right answer.

The American flag means different things to different people, here at Mock or anywhere else. If you listen, you'll hear that a hell of a lot of people around the world are not shy about telling us that they do not view the American flag as a beacon of hope and assistance in their struggle to live freely, just the opposite.

And, I definitely preferred Clinton to Trump and some of the other presidential candidates. I don't blame her personally for all the things that you do because I think you buy into some irrational emotion-based theories that don't hold up. But, I do think she's personally responsible for more of her own shit and her election loss than she appears to accept.

Anyway, your hatred of her has led you to incorrectly label me as a hard-core supporter of Clinton and even a member of her campaign before (that was hilariously nutty), which doesn't match up to the opinions I've posted on the subject. But, don't let that stop you from spazzing out and calling me impressive multi-syllable names again. I'm glad you're here, pappy.
(05-24-2017, 09:32 AM)pyropappy Wrote: killed four Americans by her inaction

You (and others) always conveniently forget that it was the Republicans that wouldn't give any money for security for that embassy.

I had to look up pusillanimous. Holy shit, Pappy, timid? Really? hah
I'm a real church mouse alright. Smiley_emoticons_smile

Pappy doesn't make a whole lot of sense when he's hot on the offense or defense. He often tosses out accusations and adjectives which don't apply in context.

Still, it's very entertaining.......I think he's one supercalifragilisticexpialidocious poster!
[Image: curious-owl.jpg]