Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A note about Corona.
Not sure if posted elsewhere already 

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...
It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.
Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.
Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person..
But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.
Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...
And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

(HOTD: edited formatting for text visibility)

Thanks for the information, Mirah. I had been wondering why they couldn't just modify the animal version of the coronavirus vaccine or the human flu shot.
Young people down here paid no mind to the contagious dangers of Covid-19 causing the county to close the beaches, restaurants, and bars thus ending Spring Break.
What happened to the original "CORONAVIRUS" thread? It has disappeared.
like you when the tab comes
(03-19-2020, 08:24 AM)Ski at 1SKY6 Wrote: What happened to the original "CORONAVIRUS" thread? It has disappeared.
It was moved to the Member Only section of the board. Why? Did you and Zerospheres want to fill it with silly memes and photoshops?
Another One: LONG: From a CV Surv!vor

Seattle Corona Virus Survivor Speaks
the following individual.. in Seattle.. an IT guy.. smart.. serious in his meditation practice.. recently survived a bout of coronavirus.. here are his notes for us
----------------------------------------------------------

>i speak as a survivor of COVID-19 at "a" US "Epicenter". i will repeat some of my emails from before, and add some further thoughts. In just twelve hours i was faced with the seriousness personally and was able to overcome.
>First the pandemic is serious, but survivable, and not extreme. One can survive with a basic wellness and calmness. my hope is that this will serve as a "wake-up" call: the situation we face on this planet is fully serious. The risk of Pandemics is but one of seven major issues we are facing. All have to do, and can be fixed, by the way we are allocating resources.

>This self was plunged into an apparent  bout of the Corona virus yesterday. i battled it with two main tools: 1) minimizing exertion 2) maximizing calmness.
>i came into the confrontation being in a target group for mortality being somewhat older (72), having low reserves (being rather petite) and being at an epicenter before vaccines were available. However i had no co morbidities, a good and responsive immune system and being basically healthy.
>The primary symptom that arose was a shortness of breath. Somewhere i had read the virus typically takes blood oxygenation down to 7%. With this in mind i stopped all activities (exertions) including eating, moving thinking etc. i just sat still and eventually was able to go into deep sleep.
>The calmness was very important. Damage from most any disease is caused in large part (likely over 90%) by the action we take, not the "bug". This ranges from an overexcited immune response to the direct damage to tissues by our conscious actions, especially in this case the breathing apparatus.
>i found asserting calmness by slowing the out breath was most consonant. A quick inhale and a slow exhale allowed me to best utilize that measly 7% (and i did indeed feel it!); and it reduced one of my few remaining exertions: breathing.
>A prime impediment to the ease of breathing is the impact on the sinuses and nostrils by fluid buildup. i adjusted to this ongoing effect in several ways.
>1) Plant essence allies were regularly evoked by just inhaling a drop of oil: Smearing it into a nostril and/or rubbing it into the face. This loosened and mobilized the fluids and passages of the sinuses. They also were allies in the battle with foreign particles, like viruses, in the lungs.
>2) Snuffing and snorting removed and controlled obstacles. i emphasized snuffing, as snorting is more likely to do violence to the tissue functionality needed if the assault is extended.
>3) Massage of the head/skull bones was also slow and continuous. Even the pressure change of which side i rested on was a key component for this needed fluidity. Consciousness of those sinus cavities induced their movement towards an at ease state.
>Non-exertion extended to not cooking, digesting, moving, not even thinking. i just sat, the better to respond at the small subtle scales needed.
>In addition to the sinuses and lungs the digestive track also needed work. In Ayurveda this is given vast importance and called the Mahanadi, the main circuit of life force in the body. Quelling it, through fasting and cleansing yields the peace and calm needed for the concentrated revival invoked by this challenge. How to do this is the main subject of Shatkarma in Hatha Yoga.
https://books.google.com/books?id=LCKkDwAAQBAJ&pg=PP35
>Mostly these practices need to be learned and internalized "before" they are needed. When you are sick, it is too late to do, let alone learn, them. One can effect finalizations to regulate the Mahanadi, but many de novo strenuous practices by a weakened system require too much exertion.
>Twelve hours is not very long, and it did not tax my rather low reserves ... which i hope to bulk up, but i am not hopeful as one generally slightens with aging.
>In addition to the crock pot of salts for dry washing the hands suggested elsewhere, Murad reminds me of another practice i have taken up:
>Breathing essential oils
>Plants have vigorous and varied systems for fighting pathogens, from which we can benefit. i just put a drop on my mustache. Some can also be rubbed in the nose. For many reasons i like to mix up the oil i use. They include Peppermint, Spearmint,Rose, many others and especially Oregano.
>i've been thinking of hand washing a lot lately .... mostly because i see it as counterproductive: One gives the virus a nice wet bath then moves it on a wet towel person to person.
>So i thought up an alternative:
A crockpot of Zinc
>The virus poops out at ~125 degrees and crockpots maintain well above that. 1-2 Qt crockpots cost only a few $ at thrift stores. They can be filled with Zinc Sulfate which is commonly used for moss eradication of fruit tree feeding. Eg:
https://smile.amazon.com/lilly-miller-moss-roofs-structu…/…/
https://smile.amazon.com/southern-ag-zinc-sulf…/…/B01AE6BQXY
https://smile.amazon.com/alpha-chemicals-zinc-…/…/B005H2Z4XY
https://smile.amazon.com/sulfate-powder-monohy…/…/B00HFEHF1Q

>Just dip your hands in for a warm dry bath. Dust them off. The granules are not even used up!
Do Not Give Up.
>Let us remember though, the Hygiene Hypothesis (Google it) which basically says that that which does not kill you makes you stronger. That is a generalization of how a vaccine works.
>Every step we take in life is a risk. So is standing still. Our evolutionary lineage has made a (so far very successful) bet that there is vast merit in sociality.
>Each must look for the best step to take next, and we may/will modify those steps. That impetus to invention is far more useful than the stasis of fear.
>i personally like this as a path forward into deeper sociality. And am excited/exhilarated for the future. Perhaps we were in a rut though, and this may just be the impetous needed for the next breakthrough. If we do not give up.

Quote:>Each must look for the best step to take next, and we may/will modify those steps. That impetus to invention is far more useful than the stasis of fear.

^ From Mirah's post.

Along those lines, it's pretty cool to see King County, Washington proactively taking innovative steps to free up hospital beds for critical patients.

Snip:

The Shoreline Temporary Field Hospital, at 19030 First Ave. N.E., will provide up to 200 beds, according to the city website. It will house “people exposed to, at risk of exposure, or becoming ill with the novel coronavirus.”

The hospital will be on a turf soccer field that is on school district property but is leased by the city and expected to be operational in a week.

King County is also creating field hospitals at several more locations for people who cannot remain in their own homes or do not have a home.

King County needs sites for some 3,000 additional medical beds, according to Shoreline’s website.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new...-outbreak/
(03-19-2020, 03:23 PM)Clang McFly Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 08:24 AM)Ski at 1SKY6 Wrote: What happened to the original "CORONAVIRUS" thread? It has disappeared.
It was moved to the Member Only section of the board. Why? Did Zerospheres want to fill it with silly memes and photoshops?
[Image: 79877592ca2169d149c76b246fb84bcc.gif]
nice cankles.
Smiley_emoticons_shocked  We're gonna need more popcorn! With butter, lots of it..........STAT!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
and 2 cups of flour.
Just using this as a place to hold larger articles I am finding.

This next one is about bats. My question is how is it that they were allowed to be sold in a market? How did the transmission happen? Was it from eating a bat, touching it, getting a bite? Coming in touch with its feces?
And then-it may be that it isn't even from a bat-it is just that it is similar to that found in bats. But I am still researching.

Someone gave me this article:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/health/co...xHtWTn1P88

The underlying causes of zoonotic spillover from bats or from other wild species have almost always -- always -- been shown to be human behavior," said Cunningham. "Human activities are causing this."

When a bat is stressed -- by being hunted, or having its habitat damaged by deforestation -- its immune system is challenged and finds it harder to cope with pathogens it otherwise took in its stride. "We believe that the impact of stress on bats would be very much as it would be on people," said Cunningham.
"It would allow infections to increase and to be excreted -- to be shed. You can think of it like if people are stressed and have the cold sore virus, they will get a cold sore. That is the virus being 'expressed.' This can happen in bats too."

Pathogens that have evolved in bats can withstand a high body temperature, so a human fever will not work as a defense mechanism.
In the likely epicenter of the virus -- the so-called wet-markets of Wuhan, China -- where wild animals are held captive together and sold as delicacies or pets, a terrifying mix of viruses and species can occur.
"If they are being shipped or held in markets, in close proximity to other animals or humans," said Cunningham, "then there is a chance those viruses are being shed in large numbers." He said the other animals in a market like that are also more vulnerable to infection as they too are stressed.

We are also destroying their habitats into landscapes that are more human-dominated. Animals are mixing in weird ways that have never happened before. So in a wet market, you are going to have a load of animals in cages on top of each other."

Cunningham and Jones both pointed to one factor that means rare instances of zoonotic spillover can turn into global problems in weeks. "Spillovers from wild animals will have occurred historically, but the person who would have been infected would probably have died or recovered before coming into contact with a large number of other people in a town or in a city," said Cunningham.
"These days with motorized transport and planes you can be in a forest in central Africa one day, and in a city like central London the next."
Jones agreed. "Any spillover you might have had before is magnified by the fact there is so many of us, and we are so well connected."
There are two simple lessons, they say, that humanity can learn, and must learn fast.
First, bats are not to blame, and might actually help provide the solution. "It's easy to point the finger at the host species," said Cunningham.

"But actually it's the way we interact with them that has led to the pandemic spread of the pathogen." He added that their immune systems are poorly understood and may provide important clues. "Understanding how bats cope with these pathogens can teach us how to deal with them, if they spillover to people."

It's not OK to transform a forest into agriculture without understanding the impact that has on climate, carbon storage, disease emergence and flood risk," said Jones. "You can't do those things in isolation without thinking about what that does to humans."

Only a very desperate or physiologically deprived individual would eat a freaking Bat. Call me crazy if you will.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
(03-21-2020, 04:48 PM)Maggot Wrote: Only a very desperate or physiologically deprived individual would eat a freaking Bat. Call me crazy if you will.
The Pemba flying fox bat is one of the largest bat species in the world, with a wingspan stretching 5.5 feet (1.6 meters) across. Since the 1990s, conservationists have worked feverishly to preserve the dwindling population. The flying fox bat used to be a routine dish on Pemba dinner tables, and people hunted so aggressively that the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) classified the bat as endangered in 1992.
(03-21-2020, 05:07 PM)Ski at 1SKY6 Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 04:48 PM)Maggot Wrote: Only a very desperate or physiologically deprived individual would eat a freaking Bat. Call me crazy if you will.
The Pemba flying fox bat was classified as endangered in 1992.

[Image: _wZVD5rwB9qHXxH71fYDQvmpPot4bVCLko0mlkqP...6ce8a3f158]
Another note from same person I mentioned earlier. Saving for research.

I believe the strain #19 of the Corona virus is currently active as are 7 other Covid strains currently circiling the globe. Google it.. I would not, could not, ever take up that argument against some of the finest Doctors in the world.. However.. I do not believe our country should be in our current state.

(03-28-2020, 12:28 AM)MirahM Wrote: Another note from same person I mentioned earlier. Saving for research.

I believe the strain #19 of the Corona virus is currently active as are 7 other Covid strains currently circiling the globe. Google it.. I would not, could not, ever take up that argument against some of the finest Doctors in the world.. However.. I do not believe our country should be in our current state.
Only 7? Gee why not say 18 since this is Covid-19?
That's how I thought they were counted but I guess they use the year instead? Or are you being a smartass? My sarcasm detection meter isn't working so well lately
Sally, the flaming asshole of MockForums
[Image: xzwbrP0.png]
I read this part last night and it stuck with me. That's amazing presence of mind because I'd be in a panic not being able to breathe. 7% is NOTHING.

>The primary symptom that arose was a shortness of breath. Somewhere i had read the virus typically takes blood oxygenation down to 7%. With this in mind i stopped all activities (exertions) including eating, moving thinking etc. i just sat still and eventually was able to go into deep sleep.
>The calmness was very important. Damage from most any disease is caused in large part (likely over 90%) by the action we take, not the "bug". This ranges from an overexcited immune response to the direct damage to tissues by our conscious actions, especially in this case the breathing apparatus.
>i found asserting calmness by slowing the out breath was most consonant. A quick inhale and a slow exhale allowed me to best utilize that measly 7% (and i did indeed feel it!); and it reduced one of my few remaining exertions: breathing.
Sally, the flaming asshole of MockForums
[Image: xzwbrP0.png]