Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antiracist, Feminism and LGBTQ Reading List
Here are some books I have been reading and will add to this list as I pick up more.

The New Jim Crow: Mass incarceration in the age of colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
https://newjimcrow.com/about

How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X Kendi
https://www.ibramxkendi.com/how-to-be-an-antiracist

Bad Feminist Essays by Roxane Gay
https://roxanegay.com/books/bad-feminist/

Waking up White by Debby Irving
https://www.debbyirving.com/the-book/

And I will add in this book also:
Circling the Earth in a Wheelchair by Stan Morse. Not LGBTQ, anti-racist or feminist but it is a book written about a man and his travels and the difficulties he encounters in a wheel chair.

I just realized I need to add more feminist books to my list.

A different point of view on racism written by Jasky Singh
who says he wore a beard and turban for most of his life and who says racisim doesn't really exist. He tended to look at it in a different way.
But then he did also say

This doesn’t mean we sit around and let people discriminate.
This doesn’t mean we stop educating people.
This doesn’t mean we don’t actively promote equality.
This doesn’t mean we ignore and turn our backs on the horrific acts of the past.
It does mean, though, that we change our viewpoint and tackle the issue with a different attitude.
It does mean that we recalibrate the label maker we use each day.
We set it such that it can no longer print out the label “racist”.
Because once we stop attaching this label to things that happen, how can it still continue to exist?

https://medium.com/@JaskySingh/no-racism...6f8984c7e0

The comments are interesting as well, from people applauding the perspective to people saying we must talk about it because systemic racism does exist.

Mac Potts was playing music at the place we had breakfast this morning. He has a beautiful voice.

https://www.virginiaisforlearners.virgin...e-reading/

I just added
"Walking the equity talk" to my reading list
Courageous leadership in school communities

The reveiws said it helped some as managers.
Rothy to come along and tell me that it is only the media that perpetuates the need for feminism because inequality does not exist.
#Resist

You and your kind do nothing but perpetuate this shit. Get a fucking life. I beat RC to it.
Of course inequality exists. 
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-18-2021, 06:14 PM)sally Wrote: You and your kind do nothing but perpetuate this shit. Get a fucking life. I beat RC to it.

If Janis Ian is my kind then I'm there.

Did you even watch the video? Its fucking cool.
(11-18-2021, 07:11 PM)MirahM Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 06:14 PM)sally Wrote: You and your kind do nothing but perpetuate this shit. Get a fucking life. I beat RC to it.

Yes I watched every nauseating bit of it. None of those things apply to me. I dont live back in old days like my mother and grandmother, I'm not a Hollywood actress being harassed by Harvey Weinstein and I've never been in any situation where I had less opportunity or pay than a man. What about you?
(11-18-2021, 04:23 PM)MirahM Wrote: Rothy to come along and tell me that it is only the media that perpetuates the need for feminism because inequality does not exist.

Not only will I tell you that inequality DOES exist, I'll also tell you that it is in diametrical opposition to diversity. I like the way the multiverse has been set up, because if everything was equal, it would be incredibly boring, and ultimately quite pointless. People who claim to want diversity are people who're disempowered  and are consequently afraid of facing life on life's terms, but guess what? We have no say in the matter, and pandering to that sort of mindset is how the corrupt sucker the weak into thinking that they'll look after them.

Now, if you'd like to talk about injustice, that's something we CAN exert control over, but only if we eschew identity politics and adopt something like progressive populism, because that's the only way we'll ever have the ability to beat back the people who are raping this world.

As for feminism, I prefer Emma Goldman to the likes of Gloria Steinem. Goldman went to Kronstadt and saw with her own eyes who and what the Bolsheviks were, and never looked back, unlike the vast majority of leftists in the West who fancied them to be legitimate revolutionaries.
(11-18-2021, 08:14 PM)sally Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 07:11 PM)MirahM Wrote:

Yes I watched every nauseating bit of it. None of those things apply to me. I dont live back in old days like my mother and grandmother, I'm not a Hollywood actress being harassed by Harvey Weinstein and I've never been in any situation where I had less opportunity or pay than a man. What about you?

Care to summarize it for me? hah
(11-18-2021, 09:20 PM)rothschild Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 04:23 PM)MirahM Wrote: Rothy to come along and tell me that it is only the media that perpetuates the need for feminism because inequality does not exist.

I made a wee boo-boo. EQUALITY is in diametrical opposition to diversity. So thank God for inequality because without it there's be no diversity. Life would suck if all we had was plain vanilla.

Jeebus, I made more than one, so I'll do a proper edit!

Not only will I tell you that inequality DOES exist, I'll also tell you that *equality* is in diametrical opposition to diversity. I quite like the way the multiverse has been set up, because if everything was equal, it would be incredibly boring, and ultimately quite pointless. People who claim to want *equality* are people who're disempowered and are consequently afraid of facing life on life's terms, but guess what? We have no say in the matter, and pandering to that sort of mindset is how the corrupt sucker the weak into thinking that they'll look after them.

Now, if you'd like to talk about injustice, that's something we CAN exert control over, but only if we eschew identity politics and adopt something like progressive populism, because that's the only way we'll ever have the ability to beat back the people who are raping this world.

As for feminism, I prefer Emma Goldman to the likes of Gloria Steinem. Goldman went to Kronstadt and saw with her own eyes who and what the Bolsheviks were, and never looked back, unlike the vast majority of leftists in the West who fancied them to be legitimate revolutionaries.
I love getting you two riled up.
For Duchess
An article in Huffpost
"I'm black, but I look white. Here are the horrible things white people feel safe telling me."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-wom...e2012a3f67

The first part of the article she shares stories she experienced. 

Here is a part I know others here will appreciate.

There is a purposeful and strategic force dedicated to segregation and racism. There are people who benefit from Black people and white people remaining in conflict. When people of different races live together and truly want to know and understand each other, it is harmonious. But when races are separated, it breeds suspicion and distrust. It becomes “us versus them,” and it weakens us as a nation.

Living as a Black woman who looks white has allowed me to experience white privilege firsthand. Because people assume I am white, it is assumed I am honest, smart and trustworthy. Many times I have thought to myself: If I looked Black, how would these people treat me? And I have known, without a shadow of a doubt, that I would be treated with disdain or suspicion, or as a criminal. I know in many instances that if I looked Black, the police would have been called to question me. And this sickens and angers me. How many of our Black brothers and sisters have had the police called on them simply for the act of living their lives?

As a nation, we need to stop this. The best way to achieve change is to accept and learn about our racist past and the injustices visited upon our Black citizens. It’s deeply concerning that people are protesting the possibility of our country’s history being accurately taught in schools. The only way for America to be great is to accept all of our citizens at face value, and the only way to do that is to understand our intertwined roots ― our history and all the pain and tragedy that exists within it ― and face this, together, head-on.
That reminds me of poor Elizabeth Warren that went through college as a minority Indian and all the tribulations she faced. What a brave woman!
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I'm half Black.
(12-12-2021, 03:28 PM)MirahM Wrote: For Duchess

I saw the headline for this story the other day & thought I would remember to go back to it when I wasn't pressed for time, so thank you for posting the link, I read the story.

This isn't the first time, nor the second or third, that I've read about black parents having "the talk" with their kids, I've read it many times at this point. The parents have so many concerns, profound concerns, every time their kids leave home they are scared for their lives, and it's not just low income parents, wealthy, high profile families have the same concerns. One mom talked about telling her kids to always, ALWAYS get a receipt because they are often accuse of stealing. So many times I've been asked if I wanted one only to decline it without a second thought. Ugh. They have so many more worries about living their day to day life, simple basic worry about things that I have never given any thought to. I don't think about receipts or playing my music too loud or driving through an unfamiliar neighborhood looking for an address, mundane things. It never fails to make me think after reading their stories.
(12-12-2021, 04:21 PM)BigMark Wrote: I'm half Black.

Is the glass half full, or half empty?
From the waist down, so full.