Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRANSGENDER & TRANSITIONING
It's such a controversial & provocative topic that I thought it deserved its own thread.

Does the person's mental health play a role when it's discussed by those who aren't living it or loving someone who feels they were born into the wrong body? I rarely see that mentioned when it's a topic of discussion like we are having here.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
Yes, their mental health plays a role which is why gender counseling is available until the child is an adult and can make the very adult lifelong decision that they really want to transition with medical procedures.
That's a term that doesn't have a universally accepted definition at present, so how is it possible to come up with a universally accepted answer to your question?

I don't think it is, so maybe we should be asking how we might be able to arrive at a universal definition of "mental health"?
(03-10-2022, 06:06 PM)sally Wrote: Yes, their mental health plays a role 

I agree, but I rarely see it mentioned in arguments. Generally speaking, most people who are against it are focusing mainly on not making that life changing decision at too young an age. I don't see people talk about how being forced to wait will affect them in a negative manner mentally.
(03-10-2022, 06:58 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(03-10-2022, 06:06 PM)sally Wrote: Yes, their mental health plays a role 

I agree, but I rarely see it mentioned in arguments. Generally speaking, most people who are against it are focusing mainly on not making that life changing decision at too young an age. I don't see people talk about how being forced to wait will affect them in a negative manner mentally.

This is part of why I brought up the age of consent.

If we are to allow doctors to prescribe these sorts of irreversible treatments/procedures in conjunction with "mental health" professionals, how many of them would be willing to do so without the limitation of liability re long term consequences? Do you think they should be given limitation of liability, and if so, why?
Puberty blockers and hormone therapy come with many side effects that are more likely to negatively affect a child both mentally and physically. First of all there are no long term studies on it in children and it extremely impacts their endocrine systems. It should not be legal.
Kids really have no firm grasp on life. They think money grows on trees and electricity is made by a socket in the wall. Their brains are not developed and are at a fragile stage in their teen years. Can you truly expect them to make a life changing decision for the rest of their lives? Maybe when they are adults in their 20's when they have brains that work maybe. It;s not a common malady like the media and the purple haired people want you to think. It's rare. Maybe 1 out of 500,000
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
My daughter wanted to be a fucking mime for God's sake, in the living room pretending to be climbing up a wall and shit. Good thing she grew out that of one.
I think I'm probably as socially Liberal as they come, but I have a real problem when it comes to transgenders & sports. I don't like those that have transitioned to female after puberty being allowed on women's teams. I don't think it's fair.
(06-25-2023, 10:50 AM)Duchess Wrote: I think I'm probably as socially Liberal as they come, but I have a real problem when it comes to transgenders & sports. I don't like those that have transitioned to female after puberty being allowed on women's teams. I don't think it's fair.

It may not be fair, but you can't pretend only part of the way. If we are allowing transgender people in bathrooms, using pronouns, giving kids puberty blockers, and using their new gender name, we must allow transgender people in sports.
Maybe they should have their own category.   Sarcastic
(06-25-2023, 12:33 PM)Duchess Wrote: Maybe they should have their own category.   Sarcastic

They did, in the DSM-IV.
(06-25-2023, 12:33 PM)Duchess Wrote: Maybe they should have their own category.   Sarcastic

Welcome to the First Annual Transgender Olympics. Blowing-kisses
fruit of the loop...
(06-25-2023, 10:50 AM)Duchess Wrote: I think I'm probably as socially Liberal as they come, but I have a real problem when it comes to transgenders & sports. I don't like those that have transitioned to female after puberty being allowed on women's teams. I don't think it's fair.

This topic came up last week, in my house.   My husband's youngest sister had a hysterectomy a few years ago,  after her hysterectomy,  she came out as non binary,  no big deal.   Her husband,  on the other hand,  decided that he was female,  he grew his hair out, started wearing makeup and pink clothing.    Recently,  he joined a women's roller derby team.  My hubs was pissed when they told us,   my hubs says biological men shouldn't be allowed on women's teams at all,  while I said it depends on the sport- as in Roller derby is known as a rough sport,  they expect to get hurt.  

Hubs says that having a biological man on a women's team,  skews the statistics,  especially in high school,  where biological females may be going for a sports scholarship. 

I agree with that point, but what is fair?  Should a trans woman still be made to play on a man's team? I mean,  what about the opposing team? They see someone who presents as female,  and they might be hesitant to play as rough as usual. 

Damn, I hate deep thought conundrums so early in the morning.
I just don't think that men who transition later should be allowed in women's sports. Chances are they are already bigger & stronger than natural females and I believe it gives them an unfair advantage. It needs to be fair!
I'm totally sick of this weirdness. It's a fad, mostly, propagated by post-modernist social engineers that should be lined up against a wall and put out of everyone's misery.