High School Graduation
How much do you give to graduates?

I am usually good for a hundred because I get 2-4 invitations a year, kids I loved. This year I already have 9. Five different high schools, which is good, won't feel guilty about not attending (boring as fuck, on my top ten list of things to avoid).

Fifty is good, right?
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
i'm glad you asked. i've been invited to one out-of-state (family member) i won't be attending and am trying to decide between $100. and a gift cert. from someplace nice.
$50. is plenty if they aren't family members and you have to send to many!

Haha. I saw that, LC.

I dislike gift cards. I know several people who had them stolen out of cards in the mail. I usually send cash (I know, but if it doesn't get there, they will never know and if it does, they can buy beer). I may send out letters instead of cards with the cash, less chance of theft from our trusted gov't employees.

I'm skipping the parties, too. It's nice they invite me and want to see me, but you have to be in the mood to hug 50 people. I do, anyway.
(03-15-2013, 07:12 PM)aussiefriend Wrote: You see Duchess, I have set up a thread to discuss something and this troll is behaving just like Riotgear did.
Haha. I saw that, LC.

damn thing would NOT POST!!

anyway you are sweet and generous to give them $50. kids like spending money in their pockets, i think that's what i'll do too. a crispy $100. bill so she can feel rich! hah
this is a smart conservative girl, she'll probably save every penny for college in the Fall. i'd like to see her have some frivolous fun.

I think that $50 is just right for a non-family member; good celebration money. I learned from my teenaged nieces and nephews that cash is much more appreciated than a gift card; immediate gratification and no restrictions.
Never ever send cash in the mail. That's just dumb.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
(05-08-2012, 08:11 AM)ramseycat Wrote: Never ever send cash in the mail. That's just dumb.

I've never had cash stolen from the mail and I've been sending it for years and years, but not in greeting cards; that's a target. I know there's a risk, but I'm willing to take it based on experience. Sending a gift card is no less risky and hand delivery is often not an option. Plus, I'd never send so much cash that it would affect me in any real way if it got kiped. I agree, that would be dumb.
(05-08-2012, 07:46 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 08:11 AM)ramseycat Wrote: Never ever send cash in the mail. That's just dumb.

I've never had cash stolen from the mail and I've been sending it for years and years, but not in greeting cards; that's a target. I know there's a risk, but I'm willing to take it based on experience. Sending a gift card is no less risky and hand delivery is often not an option. Plus, I'd never send so much cash that it would affect in any real way if it got kiped. That would be dumb.

Why not send a check? I have always heard to never send cash through the mail so I never do.
(05-08-2012, 07:58 PM)ramseycat Wrote:

I've never had cash stolen from the mail and I've been sending it for years and years, but not in greeting cards; that's a target. I know there's a risk, but I'm willing to take it based on experience. Sending a gift card is no less risky and hand delivery is often not an option. Plus, I'd never send so much cash that it would affect in any real way if it got kiped. That would be dumb.

Why not send a check? I have always heard to never send cash through the mail so I never do.

If you send a check to a kid, it's got to be made out to their parent, who then has to take it to the bank...delay and less personal. I like addressing the envelope with the kid's name and a quick note with the cash inside; knowing they'll be excited to get cold hard cash. Just a preference. A check would definitely be less risky, but I consider the risk low and the impact low even if it does get kiped.

P.s. when I send money to my mom, it's for bigger amounts and I always wire or send a check - never cash.
(05-08-2012, 08:05 PM)HairOfTheDog Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 07:58 PM)ramseycat Wrote:

If you send a check to a kid, it's got to be made out to their parent, who then has to take it to the bank...delay and less personal. I like addressing the envelope with the kid's name and a quick note with the cash inside; knowing they'll be excited to get cold hard cash. Just a preference. A check would definitely be less risky, but I consider the risk low and the impact low even if it does get kiped.

P.s. when I send money to my mom, it's for bigger amounts and I always wire or send a check - never cash.

Understood. Checks are a pain. My parents are/were old school and drilled into our heads to never send cash in the mail. My mother still pays all her bills by check and mails them at the post office! LOL