Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are You too dependent on you smart phone?
It's a little bit nuts but when going out yesterday evening we got about a block away from the house when I realized I didn't have my cell phone.

Now, a few years ago, who cares? I wouldn't have given leaving it at home a second thought and in some cases would have done so on purpose. But not last night. I found myself driving back to retrieve it.

I got to thinking today about that event: Are we as individuals too dependent on our cell phones? If you discover yours is not with you, do you get nervous, even just a little or antsy?

I ask this even if you're with others who do have their phones, so it's not like you're outside of any ability to communicate in an emergency or whatnot.

I'd ask if your iDevice/cell phone is counted among your favorite possessions, but that's for another day.
I feel more naked without my Kindle. I need to be able to read whatever book I'm into at.that.moment.
Commando Cunt Queen
I don't get nervous or antsy and sure don't feel naked without my iPhone. But, occasionally I forget it on my desk and have to go back and get it. I use the damned thing all the time. Right now things are quiet, project hasn't gotten rolling yet. But in another month I'll be fielding calls at all hours and having to answer emails all the time.
So, I am pretty dependant on it, but its a tool that I use a Lot.
Now and then I say fukit, and wander off into the boonies where there is no coverage and don't get the shakes or anything
Its the only phone I have. I email, internet and communicate from it. Its on my person all day long. I am completely dependent on this phone.
Just shut up. Just shut the fuck up right now.
(07-19-2012, 11:17 PM)LuciferLynn Wrote: Its the only phone I have. I email, internet and communicate from it. Its on my person all day long. I am completely dependent on this phone.

You're owned by your phone?

Goddammit, there are doves/pigeons coo'ing outside my office window and yet I can't fucking find their nest. But the little bastards are there..."cooo,cooo". I guess it's okay because they're not shitting on my patio but it bugs the crap out of me that I can't figure out where they're nesting.

Going to bed while they do their little coo/purr.
My phone is basic and dumb. I'm safe.

Seriously, I have to have my phone on me at all times for work. But, I only need it to send/receive calls and texts and won't get a device with more features for fear that I'll become too dependent upon it.
(07-19-2012, 10:44 PM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: If you discover yours is not with you, do you get nervous, even just a little or antsy?

I often feel like I'm tethered to mine, an electronic leash, if you will. This is difficult to answer because my feelings never remain the same from day to day.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
We don't have a landline in the house anymore so yes I need my phone. I am never without it. I don't freak out if I don't have it afraid I will miss a text or something. It's that we don't have a house phone so I feel my cell is needed. Both the boys have cells as well. Thing 1 has an iPhone and is on it ALL THE DAMN TIME.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies
Duchess, I know years ago your phone of choice was the Blackberry. Is that still your tethered friend or have you switched to a different model?
(07-20-2012, 08:31 AM)OnBendedKnee Wrote: Duchess, I know years ago your phone of choice was the Blackberry. Is that still your tethered friend or have you switched to a different model?

A mind like a steel trap. Smiley_emoticons_wink

It's still a Blackberry, I keep upgrading. I have the Torch now.
They're a great phone.
Unlike my 4S that should I drop it (and it's shaped like a bar of soap- thanks, Apple), it'll shatter, your Blackberry can withstand punishment and some abuse.
It does not bother me when I forget my phone sometimes its all day. The thing I worry about is if I got stuck on a highway someplace without being able to call for help. Everything else can be put on hold.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
Might wanna rethink the Blackberry idea. It's dying as a company and their operating software can't get most of the new apps. If you want versatility without the Apple pricetag, Droid seems to be the frontrunner.
I'm not a slave to my phone but I do find it handy as hell for downtime on appts or looking up instant info. Know what I rarely use ot for? Phone calls. I hate talking on the damn thing because it gets hot and the touchscreen is a pain when I try to dial. But I use it for pretty much every other purpose including internet. I had one of the old unlimited data plans with Verizon and got grandfathered in so I get real unlimited gigs. Totally sticking it to them lol my kid downloads ps3 stuff, I stream Netflix, mobile hotspot, all of it. Hahahaha

I'm still lusting for a tablet, damnit. Fuck a phone, they are a pain in my ass. I'd rather text or email.
Ha.......I have a bunch of customers that will say all kinds of stuff when texting or e-mailing and sometimes I catch them off gaurd and call them catching them off gaurd and they get all weird on me. The things they e-mail and when having to actually talk is sometimes 2 different things.
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
I love my iPhone. I love my iPad.

And I think they love me too. After all this time I still can turn them on.

I'll be here all week folks, tip your waiters.
(07-20-2012, 02:18 PM)Jimbone Wrote: iPad.

*drools*
(07-20-2012, 02:21 PM)Duchess Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 02:18 PM)Jimbone Wrote: iPad.

*drools*

All kidding aside, it is awesome. Any reason you haven't ponied *ahem* up for one yet?

No, no good reason. I'm a bit of a tightwad & I already have a laptop, desktop & my Blackberry, it's just that I want one to take to bed & out on the patio or poolside. It's a desire, not a need.
I want an iPad too. I would settle for a Kindle Fire. I am thisclose to getting one.
Devil Money Stealing Aunt Smiley_emoticons_fies