Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
former Penn. State Coach Sandusky charged in child sex case
(11-08-2011, 11:24 AM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: I just read the article Lady Cop posted and I have changed my opinion of Paterno. I was understanding he went with the info to the school administrators who dropped the ball. Now it appears he just protected his cronie and has no moral backbone.

I read the article as well and I disagree. What was Joe supposed to do? As Head Coach he has no investigative authority. To contact the alleged victim would have been highly inappropriate and would have jeopardized the investigation that was supposed to have been conducted by the Athletic Director.

Joe does not have the power to fire Sandusky (he can ask the Athletic Dept to do it but Sandusky has a contract through the dept not the team). Joe could have asked for his resignation but had Sandusky been vindicated through an investigation the Joe would then have opened the Dept up to a lawsuit.

What Joe should have done is what he was obligated to do. Inform the Athletic Dept and allow them to inform civilian authorities and conduct their own investigation.

It's easy for people judge him and say he should have done this and he should have done that but he did was he was supposed to do it wasn't the "minimum" it was what was required. Had he done anything more he could have opened the school, athletic dept, and himself up to possible lawsuit because he doesn't have authority other than football and football related decisions.

I'm hearing on the news today that people are mad that Joe didn't stop Sandusky from having access to the weightroom up until last week. Again, something that Joe can't control. College weightrooms fall under the authority of the Athletic Dept not the teams (some schools will give a team authority over a weightroom but this is not the standard as the athletic dept use facilities to recruit for all sports).
"I’m not going to cry over it. I already did that on the way home." - Michael Scott

Messages In This Thread
RE: former Penn. State Coach charged in child sex case - by MikeyA - 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM