Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
former Penn. State Coach Sandusky charged in child sex case
AP

BELLEFONTE, Pa. – The lead prosecutor called Jerry Sandusky a serial predator in opening statements Monday, while a defense lawyer said the young men accusing the former Penn State assistant football coach of sexual abuse had a financial interest in the outcome.

Senior Deputy Attorney General Joseph McGettigan III opened Sandusky's highly anticipated trial Monday by telling jurors that the 68-year-old retired coach was a pedophile who took advantage of fatherless children or those with unstable home lives and sexually abused them for years.

McGettigan, apologizing in advance for what he said would be disturbing and graphic testimony, said he would prove that the abuse included oral and anal sex involving boys Sandusky met through a children's charity and that it took place "not over days, not over weeks, not even over months, but in some cases over years."

Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amendola, said the young men who would take the stand are accusers, not victims. He said jurors may find it odd that Sandusky acknowledged showering with children, but that it was innocuous, and part of Sandusky's upbringing.

"In Jerry's culture, growing up in his generation, where he grew up, he's going to tell you it was routine for individuals to get showers together," Amendola said. "I suspect for those of you who might have been in athletics, it's routine."
Bullshit

[Image: 061112_dlm_sandusky_640.jpg]

ScientistsCanvas:
Is this normal? I understand the Penn State Football influence is vast, but seems it would make it difficult for a "fair" trial.

me:
his lawyers had strikes in voir dire. and it IS a jury of his peers. which is the Constitutional guarantee.

Messages In This Thread
RE: former Penn. State Coach charged in child sex case - by Lady Cop - 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM