Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
former Penn. State Coach Sandusky charged in child sex case
(11-08-2011, 06:51 PM)RJs-Ex Wrote:
(11-08-2011, 12:59 PM)MikeyA Wrote:
(11-08-2011, 11:24 AM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: I just read the article Lady Cop posted and I have changed my opinion of Paterno. I was understanding he went with the info to the school administrators who dropped the ball. Now it appears he just protected his cronie and has no moral backbone.

It's easy for people judge him and say he should have done this and he should have done that but he did was he was supposed to do it wasn't the "minimum" it was what was required. Had he done anything more he could have opened the school, athletic dept, and himself up to possible lawsuit because he doesn't have authority other than football and football related decisions.
How would calling the police open himself up to a lawsuit?

Because he wasn't a witness to the inappropriate behavior. What he knew was second hand. He had already asked Sandusky to turn in his resignation two years prior.

Had Sandusky been found not to have done anything he'd have a clear suit for Defamation of character which requires malice and damage. Sandusky could claim malice because of previously being asked to resign and damage to his character through false accusations brought to civilian authorities. It's also could be grounds for harassment.

Now if Joe was a witness to the behavior he could notify civilian authorities but if you read on the case you learn not only did Joe find out second hand he also didn't know the full details of what took place.

It was on the Grad assistant to call the cops and it was up to Joe to notify his superiors.

"I’m not going to cry over it. I already did that on the way home." - Michael Scott

Messages In This Thread
RE: former Penn. State Coach charged in child sex case - by MikeyA - 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM