Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
former Penn. State Coach Sandusky charged in child sex case
[Image: 111106122907-jerry-sandusky-arrest-story-top.jpg]

(CNN) -- A string of sexual child abuse charges against a former Penn State assistant football coach includes an alleged shower incident that two current university officials are accused of covering up, prosecutors said Saturday.

Jerry Sandusky, 67, who served 23 years as defensive coordinator for the Nittany Lions, allegedly engaged in fondling, oral sex and anal sex with young boys over a period of more than 10 years, according to an investigative grand jury's summary of testimony.

"This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys," Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly said Saturday in announcing the charges.

In some cases, Sandusky, who maintains his innocence, promised the boys gifts or invited them to football games and sleepovers, according to the grand jury. Some of the incidents allegedly occurred in Penn State athletic facilities.

Sandusky, who retired from coaching in 1999, was founder of the Second Mile, a charitable organization that began as a group foster home "dedicated to helping troubled boys," the grand jury states.

"Through the Second Mile, Sandusky had access to hundreds of boys, many of whom were vulnerable due to their social situations," it added.

Also named in the grand jury report are Penn State Athletic Director Timothy Curley, 57, and Gary Schultz, 62, the university's senior vice president for finance and business, who face charges of one count of perjury each.

Curley and Schultz "allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury that was investigating a series of assaults on young boys," Kelly said.

The two university officials are expected to surrender Monday.

Sandusky, who was arrested and released Saturday on $100,000 unsecured bail, faces seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, and numerous other charges, including aggravated indecent assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, but defense attorney Joseph Amendola told CNN Johnstown affiliate WJAC he expects it be postponed in order for attorneys to have enough time to bring in witnesses.

Sandusky has known about the allegations for three years, the lawyer said.

"Jerry feels like because of his background and reputation it took a long time to reach this conclusion and he's been ready for it," Amendola told WJAC.

The grand jury investigation was initiated by the claims of one boy who alleged that Sandusky had "indecently assaulted" him and engaged in sex acts while the boy was a guest at his home, according to the attorney general.

The victim met Sandusky through the former coach's Second Mile charity, Kelly said. Sandusky allegedly used expensive gifts such as trips to professional and college games, golf clubs, a computer and money, Kelly said.

The relationship, which began in 2005 and lasted into 2008, included overnight stays at Sandusky's home, where touching led to sexual acts, according to Kelly and grand jury testimony.

"One of the most compelling and disturbing pieces of testimony in this investigation came from an eyewitness to a late-night sexual assault that allegedly occurred in March of 2002, in the locker room of the Lasch Football Building on the University Park Campus," Kelly said. "Hearing what sounded like sexual activity in the showers of a building that was supposed to be empty, a graduate assistant reportedly observed Sandusky sexually assaulting a naked boy who appeared to be about 10 years old."

The assistant reported the incident to head football coach Joe Paterno, who in turn alerted athletic director Curley, Kelly said.

Instead of reporting the incident to authorities, Curley and Schultz banned Sandusky from having children from Second Mile visit the football building, Kelly said.

Specifically, the grand jury found that Curley committed perjury in repeatedly denying that he had ever been told that Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child, Kelly said.

"Assertions by Schultz that the allegations concerning Sandusky were 'not that serious' and that he and Curley 'had no indication that a crime had occurred' were in direct contradiction to other testimony and constituted perjury," Kelly wrote.

In all, the grand jury identified eight boys, ranging in age from about 8 to 14, who were the targets of similar sexual advances or assaults by Sandusky from 1994-2009. All of the victims first encountered Sandusky through Second Mile activities, Kelly said.

Authorities said they are continuing to search for additional victims and that the case remains active.

Penn State President Graham Spanier said in a statement that the allegations against the former coach are "troubling," and that the investigation is appropriate.

With regards to Curley and Schultz, Spanier said they have his "unconditional support."

"I have complete confidence in how they have handled the allegations about a former University employee," he said, adding that the charges are "groundless."

priests, ministers, doctors, coaches, teachers, scout leaders, can anyone be trusted with our kids?

What about Cops, LE. You forgot to mention police.
Quote:The relationship, which began in 2005 and lasted into 2008, included overnight stays at Sandusky's home, where touching led to sexual acts

Who lets their young son stay overnight at an unrelated man's home over the course of 3 years? Especially when the man is giving expensive gifts to the boy? Do these parents/foster parents/parental figures have no common sense?

Quote:"Hearing what sounded like sexual activity in the showers of a building that was supposed to be empty, a graduate assistant reportedly observed Sandusky sexually assaulting a naked boy who appeared to be about 10 years old."

The assistant reported the incident to head football coach Joe Paterno, who in turn alerted athletic director Curley, Kelly said.

Instead of reporting the incident to authorities, Curley and Schultz banned Sandusky from having children from Second Mile visit the football building, Kelly said.

So Curley believed the grad assistant enough to ban Sandusky from bringing children in to the football building, but not enough to report it to police? Or was this the proverbial "Good Old Boys Club" mentality working? Why didn't the grad assistant call the police when he witnessed the sexual act? He was right there at the time. Has it come down to being afraid to lose your job (or scholarship) if you report criminal activity?

[Image: article-0-0EAE640500000578-780_224x354.jpg]

[Image: article-0-0EAE6D8900000578-30_224x354.jpg]

Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are expected to turn themselves in Monday.
A preliminary hearing for Sandusky is scheduled for Wednesday.

anyone in a position of authority or trust who facilitates or sexually abuses minors needs to be exposed and imprisoned.

I can't stop thinking about this case. The number of "men" who knew about Sandusky's criminal acts against children is staggering. Not one of these "men" alerted authorities about Sandusky's abuse. I believe they were in full cover-up mode-worried about Penn State's reputation and their own jobs and salaries.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=6270

"One of the most compelling and disturbing pieces of testimony in this investigation came from an eyewitness to a late-night sexual assault that allegedly occurred in March of 2002, in the locker room of the Lasch Football Building on the University Park Campus," Kelly said. "Hearing what sounded like sexual activity in the showers of a building that was supposed to be empty, a graduate assistant reportedly observed Sandusky sexually assaulting a naked boy who appeared to be about 10 years old."

The grand jury also noted that the 1998 report involving Sandusky and boys in the showers was reviewed by University Police and Child Protective Services, with the blessing of Wendell Courtney, who at the time served as University Counsel and was (and remains) counsel to The Second Mile - though no criminal charges were ever pursued.So this activity was reported in 1998, and CPS didn't press charges?

The grand jury eventually identified a total of eight young men who were the targets of similar sexual advances or assaults by Sandusky, starting in 1994 and continuing through 2009. All of the victims first encountered Sandusky through Second Mile activities.

The Second Mile website:http://www.thesecondmile.org/welcome.php

The Second Mile mission statement: The Second Mile challenges young people to achieve their potential as individuals and community members by providing opportunities for them to develop positive life skills and self-esteem as well as by providing education and support for parents and professionals addressing the needs of youth.

Sandusky hurt a number of young boys and was allowed to continue doing it for years after he could have been stopped. It is hard to believe that this many people knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it.

(CNN) -- Two Penn State university officials who are accused of misleading a grand jury in its investigation into child sexual abuse allegations against a former assistant coach have stepped down, the university said early Monday morning.

Penn State Athletic Director Timothy Curley, 57, and Gary Schultz, 62, the university's senior vice president for finance and business, face charges of one count of perjury each.

They stepped down late Sunday after an emergency meeting of the university's board of trustees.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/07/justice/pe...index.html

Those sonsofbitches! I don't know which is worse - Sandusky molesting/raping children, or these other 2 pieces of shit who KNEW about it and did nothing (oh excuse me, they banned him from raping children on campus). HOW can you just ignore a child rape? They HAD to know it was going to keep happening - and they were OK with that. How can they live with themselves? Oh, that's right - they have no souls. They all owe an apology (as if) to every one of the victims.
Sandusky, Curley, Schultz - all of you could do the world a favor and eat a gun. But they won't. Pussies.
This is all over the news. Sportcenter had a question and answer with the attorney general Linda Kelly, CNN had a talking head lawyer on, he stated that head coach Joe Paterno, "Had done the minimum required" by informing athletic director Curley.

"If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters. While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved, I can't help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred," Paterno said in a statement.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/20...ey-general

Kelly cited the "inaction" of Curley and Schultz as likely allowing a predator to victimize more children. She also noted the statute of limitations for child abuse crimes lasts until the alleged victim reaches the age of 50. Kelly declined to say whether more charges could be raised against anyone tied to the case. She did say Paterno is not a "target at this point," and has been cooperative.

One other statement by the lawyer on CNN, he actually stopped the host from wrapping up the interview to make it. "All the players in this case (except the Attorney General) are men. I wonder if even one woman was involved if this would have played-out differently. Maybe a woman would have thought about the children involved."

This shit has me enraged! How can these men think that the career of a scum sucking pedophile is more important than the health and life of the boys he molested? These sorry excuses for men deserve to be charged with crimes for allowing this to go on for years after they knew about it.

Oh, and by the way Curley and Schultz, you lost your fat-cat jobs trying to cover this up! If you would have stepped-up like real men, Sandusky would've been behind bars years ago, no additional boys would have been molested, and you'd still have your fucking jobs.

Joe Paterno is highly respected on the East Coast, some would say revered. Too bad this is going to tarnish that, this will be what is mentioned every time his name is. He should have done the right thing.

I'll try to remember to watch the news tonight but now that I think about it a little maybe they'll choose not to report on his involvement in it too much.
[Image: Zy3rKpW.png]
(11-07-2011, 01:39 PM)RJs-Ex Wrote: Those sonsofbitches! I don't know which is worse - Sandusky molesting/raping children, or these other 2 pieces of shit who KNEW about it and did nothing (oh excuse me, they banned him from raping children on campus). HOW can you just ignore a child rape? They HAD to know it was going to keep happening - and they were OK with that. How can they live with themselves? Oh, that's right - they have no souls.

Ditto.......Add the sentiment same for Priests who have souls
(11-07-2011, 03:37 PM)Duchess Wrote:

Joe Paterno is highly respected on the East Coast, some would say revered. Too bad this is going to tarnish that, this will be what is mentioned every time his name is. He should have done the right thing.

Duchess, I heard Paterno immediately reported the abuse and it wasn't followed up by others. Seems to me like he did the right thing.

I wasn't aware of that, Zero. I only saw what the attorney had said about him doing the least he was required to or words to that effect. I'm glad then. He's huge around here, beloved, as you must know as well.
If anyone wants to read it, the Sandusky Grand Jury Presentment. It is 23 pages, and if you are particularly tenderhearted, please be warned that it is graphic.

http://enews.attorneygeneral.gov/uploads...4-2011.pdf
lengthy but interesting, editorial view of Paterno:
not so innocent.

DAMN LINK WON'T WORK! IT'S RIGHT ON FRONT PAGE OF BOSTON HERALD.

HERE

http://bostonherald.com/

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/colum...ion=recent

I took the time to watch our news regarding this & that old bastard is far from innocent. He won't be coming out of this unscathed & I'm almost certain he's quite aware of that. He's holding a press conference today.

I didn't realize that it was this big a story because I rarely watch our local news or tv in general but it's HUGE.
I just read the article Lady Cop posted and I have changed my opinion of Paterno. I was understanding he went with the info to the school administrators who dropped the ball. Now it appears he just protected his cronie and has no moral backbone.
(11-08-2011, 11:24 AM)ZEROSPHERES Wrote: I just read the article Lady Cop posted and I have changed my opinion of Paterno. I was understanding he went with the info to the school administrators who dropped the ball. Now it appears he just protected his cronie and has no moral backbone.

I read the article as well and I disagree. What was Joe supposed to do? As Head Coach he has no investigative authority. To contact the alleged victim would have been highly inappropriate and would have jeopardized the investigation that was supposed to have been conducted by the Athletic Director.

Joe does not have the power to fire Sandusky (he can ask the Athletic Dept to do it but Sandusky has a contract through the dept not the team). Joe could have asked for his resignation but had Sandusky been vindicated through an investigation the Joe would then have opened the Dept up to a lawsuit.

What Joe should have done is what he was obligated to do. Inform the Athletic Dept and allow them to inform civilian authorities and conduct their own investigation.

It's easy for people judge him and say he should have done this and he should have done that but he did was he was supposed to do it wasn't the "minimum" it was what was required. Had he done anything more he could have opened the school, athletic dept, and himself up to possible lawsuit because he doesn't have authority other than football and football related decisions.

I'm hearing on the news today that people are mad that Joe didn't stop Sandusky from having access to the weightroom up until last week. Again, something that Joe can't control. College weightrooms fall under the authority of the Athletic Dept not the teams (some schools will give a team authority over a weightroom but this is not the standard as the athletic dept use facilities to recruit for all sports).
"I’m not going to cry over it. I already did that on the way home." - Michael Scott
The only soulution would have been to report the activity, and then quit if they didn't do something about it and then go to the media.

It's a tough spot to be in but sometimes a person has to stand up or they get counted with the other ones who are doing the shitty deed.

If the jury has any sense and he can prove he reported it he could end up cleared.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Quote:Joe does not have the power to fire Sandusky (he can ask the Athletic Dept to do it but Sandusky has a contract through the dept not the team). Joe could have asked for his resignation but had Sandusky been vindicated through an investigation the Joe would then have opened the Dept up to a lawsuit.

The incident of child rape seen by McQueary and reported to Joe Pa happened 1 March 2002. Sandusky retired from his coaching position in 1999. He was granted "Professor Emeritus" status, with access to all university facilities (including an office, internet and phone privileges). Sandusky could not have been "fired" as he was already retired.

However, I do agree with you that Joe Pa could not have taken away Sandusky's status, that would have to have been done by Penn State.